“Nice hotel. Great spa. 4 star quality”

The St. David's Hotel
Ranked #16 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed November 26, 2012

We had a group of 5 rooms, with 7 of us staying.
We got upgraded which was excellent. Rooms were spacious and very quiet.
Issues with heating over the night and the room was unbearable. We had to open the sliding door and keep it open with a piece of the room furniture!
I would say this hotel is 4 star, definitely not 5.
No fridge/mini bar. We rang for ice, and nothing ever arrived.
Spa was lovely. Pool and spa pool was excellent.
Would stay again, but wouldn't pay rack rate!
Get a good deal and you'll feel like it is worth it.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a view of the bay.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
MJones2011, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2012

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay. I was disappointed to hear that certain elements did not meet your expectations. In terms of the air conditioning this can be rectified by informing a member of staff. Once again I thank you for your comments and look forward to seeing you back at St David’s in the near future.

Graeme Barclay

Write a ReviewReviews (3,985)

Reviewed November 26, 2012

Havent stayed in this hotel, i have never been more insulted to receive such low standards of service. The front office team where anything but pleasant. I was ill upon arrival having been advised the room was ready a receptionist was rude very when i asked if i could check in, having pointed out i was ill they didnt even ask if i was ok and walked away and turned their back on me. I have to say the overall experience of staying within this hotel is anything but 5 star! Each time I approached reception i never yet got a smile and each member of staff seemed to have a chip on their shoulder. This same attitude was demonstrated to the rest of our group and was the downfall off our trip to Cardiff! Never would i recommend this hotel to anyone, at one point i thought i had visited a hotel that mannerisms was to be rude to customers it was that bad!!

At breakfast the waitress couldnt understand what i was saying and had to fetch an english speaking member of staff to my table twice so they could explain what we were asking for!!

With the nature of my job i have stayed in 100's of hotels at different star ratings and this one would not be acceptable service for 2/3 star in my eyes never mind 5 as awarded!

Room Tip: The bedroom view was the only thing good about this hotel
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank kittykelly40
MJones2011, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

I was disappointed to read your comments and I am sorry to read that certain elements of your stay did not meet your expectations. Please be assured your comments will be discussed and addressed with my Management team.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

An evening at the Millennium Theatre meant a stop over in Cardiff was on the cards.. So we decided to book the St David's Hotel & Spa. 5 Star!!!

Check in was less than friendly - something akin to a Premier Inn..

The room was excellent and very comfortable... With an excellent view of The Bay..

The theatre show was great !!!

We returned to the hotel / our room later in the evening... We were kept awake by singing which seemed to waft up the stair well and the late night removals which seemed to be happening on the floor / room above us!!

Finally check-out went terribly wrong with us being expected to pay for rooms that had been pre- paid!!

Despite checking with my bank on returning home and calling the hotel to confirm that I had paid they are still holding onto £540 pre - authorisation on my card whilst they carry out their own enquiries. - Not Impressed!!!

Accommodation excellent - Breakfast and waitress staff good

Check- In / Out needs attention

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Zeus69

I was glad to read that you enjoyed your room and breakfast at the hotel. I am however sorry to read that certain elements of your stay did not meet your expectations. Please be assured your comments will be discussed and addressed as a matter of urgency with my Management team. Once again thank you for your feedback and we hope you chose to return to the St David's Hotel on a future occasion.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

Stayed in St Davids for a friends wedding party. Decided to stay as bit of a treat even though we live in Cardiff. It was our first time at the hotel and were expecting good things. Arrived and the car park was full, had to pay £7 to park in the pay and display next door. First impressions in the lobby were great, i liked the architecture internally. Staff were speedy and curtious at the desk. Checked in and found we were on the 6th floor so were excited to have a good view. Then the room; really it wasn't what you'd expect from a 5 star hotel. Furniture was tired and worn, coffee and tea facilities were hardly the height of luxury, sachets of nescafe, not good. Also there was a panel missing off the wall above the bathroom door, exposing all the air con etc. We paid £195 for the room with breakfast which was a discounted rate. For the standard of the rooms this is expensive in my eyes. We gave our feed back to the duty manager on leaving and was offered an upgrade should we wish to stay there again. Will wait for them to upgrade the rooms before taking him up on his offer. All in all nice hotel let down by the quality of the rooms not worth the money.

• Stayed: November 2012

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your overall stay and the service at St David’s. The panel above the bathroom door had somehow fallen through howwever this could have been rectified within minutes had we been informed at the time. I can advise that areas of the hotel are currently being refurbished and we hope you choose to return on a future occasion. Once again I thank you for your comments.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

A lovely hotel. Friendly and extremely helpful staff. The rooms are are clean, tidy and very spacious (we had a twin room). The spa is available to use for overnight guests free of charge and it was stunning. The price we paid was very reasonable, i would say a bargain. Definatley worth a visit.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
MJones2011, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2012

Thank you for your comments. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay in particular your comments with regards to our helpful staff. I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed November 21, 2012

After spending our honeymoon in St Ives we decided to spend a night in the St Davids on the way back home to North Wales.
On arrival we were advised we had received a complimentary upgrade to the nicest suite in the whole hotel.
The room was just stunning and the views over Cardiff Bay breathtaking.
We booked in for our evening meal which could not be faulted.
The staff were really helpful and friendly and nothing was too much trouble.
Whilst having breakfast in the morning my husband noticed some of the Newcastle players were also dining. He got very excited by this.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your excellent comments regarding your stay with us. I have already passed on your comments to the team at St David’s. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

We went here for a bit of a getaway for our birthday and anniversary. The plan to stay near some good shopping and use the Spa. The hotel is kind of odd to start but looks a lot better at night under the lighting but overall has a sleek look about it. The restaurant was good and the rooms look really good. Our view was very nice and the Spa was a great couple of hours spent. And for the first time staying in a hotel the gym is usable for a gym nut!
However the room standards (cleaning) was one of the worst i have come across which unfortunatelly i found out in the bathroom when bending down to pick up something i dropped. Unfortunatelly then finding stains in the main room sent us into Hotel Inspector mode and found a lot more! It was a shame as a lot about the hotel is nice but descided to eat out based on the standards. It was not standards of a 5 star experience. The service is good butwith no personality which then really didnt feel at all wowed on what was a special occasion for us.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cantonap
MJones2011, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Thank you for your review. My sincere apologies as obviously this is far from our usual standard of cleanliness. I do hope you brought this to the attention of the Duty Manager at the time to enable us to rectify the issues immediately.

Kind regards.