The St. David's Hotel
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
4,101 results
All reviewsmaster suitecardiff bayoverlooking the bayspa facilitieson arrivalmermaid quaythe hotel car parkpay and displayfloor to ceiling windowsrobes and slippersafternoon tearelaxation roombirthday treatan upgradewelsh cakesbars and restaurantslovely room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Always wanted to stay at this 5* hotel and what a let down. Booked a "Treat your Partner"
package for our anniversary, which inc. chocks, bubbly and 3 course dinner. Having checked in, the room was OK, good views but lacking that 5* factor with the odd bit of "patch it up" going on. The evening meal is where it all started to go wrong. Having sat down, we then found our choice was limited to £30 each for a 3 course meal, as anyone who travels, you do not get very much for £30 in a hotel. so that narrrowed it down alot. The service was terrible as they seemed to want to talk to each other by the till, rather than wait and be attentive. We ordered our meals and ordered above our limit to expand the poor choice. For both of us the starters were tasteless or just did not work. The steaks were fine. A waitress finally collected our plates and then after 10mins we tried, short of getting up or shouting for another 5mins, to get there attention for the bill as talking/ banter continued by the till. The whole meal experience was poor, we walked out of the resturant thinking we should have just gone over to the bay and had a better evening. The following morning breakfast was good and it was spa time. Again all excited, only to be disappointed, facilities tired, for a 5* facility you do not expect rust marks to be running down bits of metal etc. The pool and spa facilities were OK, but nothing to go to say yes I want to come back here again. At check out we were charged £8 for parking (should be part of the tariff) and then told our meal allowance was £25 each. Having looked at the menu, that would of meant pasta and next to no choice. Pointing out the menu's say £30 I was told all the menu's were wrong and thats it. I payed and then having an unhappy wife I went back to complain, where after a phone call I was given a refund of £10. Having visited other 5* hotels in the South Wales area, we left thinking it does not deserve 5* status, we have had an overall better experience in some Cardiff 4* hotels. I travel alot, and feel this is a fair impression when you compare it against others. It took the shine off an anniversary treat.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SpikeSwales
MJones2011, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

I was disappointed to read your comments and I am sorry to read that certain elements of your stay did not meet your expectations. Please be assured your comments will be discussed in detail and addressed with my Management team.

Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed at this wonderful hotel on two occasions! One with a girl friend and another time with my husband on new years eve 2011! Rooms were clean and modern and very spacious! Reception staff extremely polite and helpful! Only concern we have would be the spa staff as they were too busy 'gossiping' about their personal lives whilst I waiter around like a sore thumb! Spa is small but gorgeous! Perfect setting! Amazing cocktails and gorgeous food! Breakfast was amazing with brilliant choice and fast service with staff making sure we had plenty of everything! We also ordered room service that was prompt, warm and delicious! I am returning on the 16th November with a girl friend for a spa day and treatment and also an overnight stay as we are watching a show! We are looking forward to returning! Sian x

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank Sianblewz

We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for your constructive feedback which will be shared with the team.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

We were staying in Cardiff and decided to have breakfast at this hotel for two mornings. The waitress was excellent - nothing was too much trouble for her. The standard of the food was excellent also. Would definitely recommend even though it cost over £18 each - each morning. Well worth it - a bit of luxury in Cardiff Bay with superb views.

Room Tip: We did not stay at this hotel - we were staying at another hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank patcad

Thank you, we are delighted we were able to accommodate your needs and look forward to welcoming you back to St David’s in the future.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Lovely hotel.
Fantastic Views.
Stunning pool and spa
5 Minutes walk to the Millenium Centre and an abundance of restaurants.
Hotel Restaurant food was expensive but excellent. Service was slow.
I would recommend this hotel

Room Tip: High room to get the best views!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback and we hope you chose to return on a future visit. Please be assured your comments will be discussed and addressed with my Management team.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Our eagerly awaited Spa experience at St David's was such a disappointment. On leaving, both my friend and I rated it 5-6 out of 10 which, given it's a 5 star Spa, did not compare in the slightest to the likes of The Sanctuary or Champneys. I usually read Trip Advisor reviews before making any bookings but on this occasion I didn't (I wish I had!). Had I of done, I would have seen that the hotel on the whole got very good reviews but the Spa did not rate very well at all.

Anyway, rather than write a scathing review on Trip Advisor I thought I would first speak to the Spa Manager thereby giving them the opportunity to look into matters. This took two emails to ask him to call me (as his details were not openly given on their website). He telephoned me on 17/10/2012 and I talked through our concerns. He noted that we were holiday at the time of the phone call and that we would be home on Saturday 20th October. He said he didn't want to disturb our holiday and he promised to call me the beginning of this week, 22nd October. Has he called back? No.

That's how much they value their clients.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank AnnoyedWales

I was disappointed to read your comments. Please be assured your comments will be discussed and addressed with the Spa Manager.