“Cardiff Overnight Stay”

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Lovely hotel.
Fantastic Views.
Stunning pool and spa
5 Minutes walk to the Millenium Centre and an abundance of restaurants.
Hotel Restaurant food was expensive but excellent. Service was slow.
I would recommend this hotel

Room Tip: High room to get the best views!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
MJones2011, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Thank you for your feedback and we hope you chose to return on a future visit. Please be assured your comments will be discussed and addressed with my Management team.

Graeme Barclay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (869)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Wales
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Our eagerly awaited Spa experience at St David's was such a disappointment. On leaving, both my friend and I rated it 5-6 out of 10 which, given it's a 5 star Spa, did not compare in the slightest to the likes of The Sanctuary or Champneys. I usually read Trip Advisor reviews before making any bookings but on this occasion I didn't (I wish I had!). Had I of done, I would have seen that the hotel on the whole got very good reviews but the Spa did not rate very well at all.

Anyway, rather than write a scathing review on Trip Advisor I thought I would first speak to the Spa Manager thereby giving them the opportunity to look into matters. This took two emails to ask him to call me (as his details were not openly given on their website). He telephoned me on 17/10/2012 and I talked through our concerns. He noted that we were holiday at the time of the phone call and that we would be home on Saturday 20th October. He said he didn't want to disturb our holiday and he promised to call me the beginning of this week, 22nd October. Has he called back? No.

That's how much they value their clients.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank AnnoyedWales
I was disappointed to read your comments. Please be assured your comments will be discussed and addressed with the Spa Manager.

Leeds, United Kingdom

Plus point - spectacular location and views of Cardiff Bay
negative points - tired and rooms in need of updating. Upon complaining, the manager pointed out that they're in the process of doing this but that doesn't make up for it when your room hasn't been done! even without a tired room, problems like a dirty teaspoon in the room, soup spoons laid out for breakfast cereal spoons, poor quality breakfast buffet food etc. mean that in my opinion this is a long way short of being a five star hotel. The noise in the foyer on the Saturday night made it feel more like a cheap budget chain than anything special.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
MJones2011, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
I was disappointed to read your comments and I am sorry to read that certain elements of your stay did not meet your expectations. Please be assured your comments will be discussed and addressed with my Management team.

stratford on avon
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I booked a twin bedded room for me and my mum to stay for two nights. We were given a room which was obviously for a disabeled person. No bath and no chairs to sit on (only our beds). The bathroom floor was like an ice rink when wet which was a hazard. Prior to booking I had requested a gluten free diet for my mum. I was reasured that this was standard and not a problem. No gluten free bread was available at breakfast, they had ran out. This was very poor and limited my mum with what she could eat. The menu was very limited and extremly expensive for the quality served. On a positive note the bar staff, restaurant staff and reception staff were all very helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: If booking a twin request a room that is not dsigned for a person with a disability unless you need...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
I was disappointed to read your comments and I am sorry to read that certain elements of your stay did not meet your expectations. The issues mentioned will be looked into and any corrective action will be implemented accordingly.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Me and 3 other girls stayed for a weekend for our birthdays and we had such a great time, The hotel was amazing and could not fault anything, The rooms were great very comfy!! The staff were all very helpfull especially Nathan the night manager, He really did go out of his way to help us, He ordered us taxi's and told us all the good places to go to. He really was very very helpfull.

We cant wait to stay their again

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you, we are delighted we were able to accommodate your needs and look forward to welcoming you back to St David’s in the future.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

Took my partner here on his r&r/birthday and had a wonderful time, good location 1/2 hr walk into Cardiff centre. We had a beautiful room with 2 glass walls that overlooked the harbour, was truly stunning. Food was posh nosh, beautifully presented and very filling!
The hotel were very helpful and assisted me making this perfect! Did want to come home!

• Stayed July 2012
Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted we were able to accommodate your needs and that you enjoyed our unique and individual service. We look forward to welcoming you back to St David’s in the future.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Our daughter booked a day at this spa for us as a treat, when we arrived we were told we couldn't have lunch unless it had been prebooked, we were told we would have to get dressed and go to the bar after 2pm(we had arrived at 10am. there were no robes and a considerable amount of lockers were out of order!! The pool was full of babies and there is no steam room only a sauna.
We went up for our treatments at 4pm the staff were totally confused as to the treatments we had bookedand we were led off to seperate rooms.I ended up having a different treatment to what i had booked and was told the one i had booked and paid for wasn't available! my husband was made to treck from one room to another in between treatments and had said the therapists were awful and talked continually as did mine.
My facial was one of the worst i have had, needless to say we won't ever return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple