“Average not 5 star quality”

The St. David's Hotel
Ranked #15 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Stayed on our anniversary,we booked deluxe room on arrival was told we have been up graded to a huge suite room very nice. Had afternoon sandwiches nice.drink prices are very high only bought two drinks (much cheaper drink prices around the bay) lovely comfy bed .breakfast was nice but nothing special. Hotel is nice enough but not five star. Found staff good,pool area needs more beds around it the ones there were block up with dressing gowns of people on spa days were keeping them for themselves .

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
MJones2011, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Thank you for your feedback and we hope you chose to return on a future visit.

Kind regards,

Graeme Barclay

Write a ReviewReviews (3,951)

Reviewed October 22, 2012

My boyfriend took me to St David's Hotel & Spa on Friday 19th Oct 2012 as a surprise and I was blown away.
My boyfriend's car was taken by a member of the valet staff and parked in a secure car park next to the hotel. He was given a ticket and was told to hand it in the next morning and they'd get his car for him.
When we got inside, the check in was quick and easy. We were told what room we were in, where the restaurant was and what time breakfast was in the morning. The lobby is gorgeous, really spacious and clean.
Our room was on the 4th floor and we had a gorgeous view. It was very clean and tidy, a few complimentary welsh cakes and chocolates were left on the desk.
Nothing at all wrong with the bathroom, was clean and tidy. Only thing I did notice is that they didn't have a liquid hand wash dispenser, only a sealed bar of soap. But that's just me being picky.
Breakfast in the morning was delicious, plenty of fresh fruit, cereals, cheese, meat and a full english to chose from.
I would certianly stay there again, I really enjoyed and had an amazing nights sleep.

2  Thank Jenna C

Thank you for your feedback, we are delighted we were able to accommodate your needs and look forward to welcoming you back to St David’s in the future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

Like this hotel a lot. There on business and this time I think I lucked out a I got a suite which was very nice....just wish I could afford to stay here on a personal trip rather than business!!
Restaurant isn't great but there is so much choice just round the corner it really doesn't matter!

• Stayed: October 2012
MJones2011, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Thank you for your review. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you on a pleasure rather than business trip in the near future, and at this point would invite you to try our new menu which was launched last week under our new Head Chef.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

My second review ever but feel strongly about writing this. We always stay at 5* hotels round the world but this was most disappointing. To name but a few; Checking in, met by unfriendly member of staff. Bedroom & bathroom not been cleaned, hair everywhere in bathroom and carpet dirty. Put right, eventually. Panel above Bathroom door left dangling loose & nearly fell on my head (put right & bottle of wine) 2 Daily papers delievered instead of one but next day none! Charged twice for restaurant bill on the same evening, another group ate there same night & gave our room no without signature! On departure, apologies were made, some money taken off as an apology. 3 weeks later, we discovered £174 has been taken of our account without our knowledge! When I enquired, duty manager informed me a member of staff had made a mistake when we checked out (the money taken off as an apology). Bearing in mind all that went wrong, we should have at least been informed of the mistake before or even after the money was taken out of our account.The messege I received when I enquired was, deal with it. I know we won't be staying there again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank abla d
MJones2011, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Thank you for your review which is disappointing to read as it was my understanding that these issues were rectified at the time and indeed a further gesture was made on check out. The amount taken from your card was for one night's accommodation that was mistakenly not charged on check out by a new member of staff. This of course was not part of the gesture that was made in good nature.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

I decided to stay at your hotel as a special treat for my partners 30th birthday, I rang up a couple of weeks before staying to double check I could pay by debit card on departure, which the person I spoke to said was fine. When we arrived I was told a payment in full, would have to be taken on my debit card, to which I advised I couldn't pay until the following day but the reception could keep my card, the lady I spoke to checked with her manager who came over and said I would have to pay upfront there and then & that most people have credit cards, I had to go home (40 mins away) and come back to pay by cash. I'd just like to point out that I completely understand why payment had to be taken on arrival however I specifically rang to check I could pay on departure & was told that'd be fine. The manager I'd spoken to previously had apologised at the time & offered myself and my partner a complimentary bottle of bubbly for the misinformation, however when we returned the girl we spoke to took our cash, didn't give us any information about what time the spa was open or what time breakfast was in the morning- she didn't even tell us to enjoy our stay. I felt like the staff in reception looked down on us the whole time we were there & didn't make us feel welcome at all. I will say the room was lovely, apart from the lose hand bar in the shower & the bed extremely comfortable, however based on service I would certainly not recommend you as a 5* hotel, I was made to feel very uneasy and I didn't feel very informed by the staff at all- especially as I heard the girl on reception explain all information to other couples who checked in before us.

2  Thank Emma30-12
MJones2011, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Thank you for your review. I understand that my Guest Relations Manager has written to you more comprehensively in this regard. In the meantime, I can confirm that our policy is that pre-payment upon check in is necessary, or alternatively a pre-authorisation amount can be taken on a credit card to the value of your accommodation and any extras that may wished to be charged to your room. This was confirmed in your confirmation letter sent following your booking. I am however sorry if you feel you were given wrong information in this regard as all staff are aware of company operating policy. I do hope that despite this misunderstanding the remainder of your stay was enjoyable.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

The treatments and staff are lovely which is why I have given two ratings, however the facilities are very dated. It was really annoying, i had a hot stones massage but the room was so cold and the air condition is right over the beds, when I asked for them to be knocked off they said it wasn't possible as it is all under one control unit.

I also had a dry flotation treatment, again nightmare air conditioning and the music was too loud but it couldn't be switched off as I was told it was connected to other parts of the spa. The overhead fairy star lights were not working so the light was left on and a lavender pack was given to put over the eyes to block the light. I was told that the lights had gone off that morning and that maintenance was on its way to sort the lighting problem but when my boyfriend had his treatment the next day they told him the same thing. They didnt tell us of the fault before we paid.

For a hotel of this standard it is such a shame their spa isn't up to the same standard as the rest of the hotel.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank MillieH_9

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that on the whole you enjoyed your stay with us however your comments regarding the spa are disappointing and I will be discussing the same with my Spa Manager. I hope we can welcome you back in the future to restore your confidence.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

We visited Cardiff to go to the Opera at the Millenium Centre and this hotel is ideally located in Cardiff Bay. The room was adequate and clean with beautiful views. In the main the staff were friendly and helpful. Wasn't wowed by the experience and probably won't stay again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments which have been shared with the team. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay for your visit to the Opera and hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to St David's in the future.