The Big Sleep Hotel Cardiff by Compass Hospitality
Ranked #49 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My girlfriend booked this hotel for me as a Xmas present to go and see a concert at the Motorpoint Arena. To say we were disappointed is an understatement. I am not one for giving bad reviews but felt i had to with this hotel.

The first thing that stroke us with the room was the curtains. They looked like giant fleece blankets that had been on the floor with a dog lying on them, they were kind of greeny brown in colour. The room was like a glass box with no character at all and it was very cold, the heater was intermittent which means the room was not getting warm. We were in one of the rooms located at the back of the hotel which is metres from the railway line, the rooms have no double glazing so the noise of the trains passing is very loud. There was also an odour in the corridor and some stains on the carpets, the room also smelt a little stall. The TV remote was really grubby and looked as if it had never been cleaned (had some grime and fur on it).

Myself and my girlfriend are by no means snobs, I have stayed in some bad places over the years but they have been really cheap. Having paid £70 for this room I did expect a little bit more, I have paid the same, and cheaper for other hotels both in Cardiff and throughout the UK and the quality and comfort of these hotels has hugely eclipsed the Big Sleep. Sleeperz Hotel in Cardiff is the same price and it is very nice, cosy and clean. We stayed at the Big Sleep for an hour and decided because of the coldness we couldn't sleep and made the decision to go across the road to the Marriott. For just £30 more than the big sleep the quality is 1000 times better than the Big Sleep. We did not complain because the guys attitude in the front desk was also not impressive. We have taken it as a lesson learnt and hope others read this review and not waste their money. It would be ok if you were out for a drinking night with the lads and you needed to dos down for a few hours drunk, the only one positive is its location, directly opposite the Motorpoint Arena and St Davids 2 shopping centre. John Malkovich is reportedly a business partner with the Big Sleep Hotel chain, I can guarantee that if he visited Cardiff he would not stay at this hotel!!

There are newer reviews for The Big Sleep Hotel Cardiff by Compass Hospitality

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Very large bright room. Clean sheets, towels and bathroom. Hot water. Room not very warm. Nice staff. Broken lift. Stained furry curtains and carpets. Uncomfortable bed. No hairdryer. Small car park, we had to park around the corner in the NCP Budget stay!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 19, 2013

My partner and I stayed here in December in order to attend a Christmas party. As the majority of the hotels in Cardiff which we would usually stay in were fully booked and some of the nicer ones had risen in price we were left with the option of The Big Sleep. Having read some of the negative reviews I was a bit weary but I just put it down to people over exaggerating - how wrong I was!

We were greeted with a huge ramp up to the hotel which we thought might've damaged the car but luckily we was wrong but still it wasn't pleasant to drive up. When we got outside the entrance we were lucky enough to park right outside which we were really happy with. The staff behind reception were very welcoming and helpful on our arrival and it did look relatively clean so I couldn’t understand the fuss of the previous reviews.

Upon entering are room both myself and my partner were flabbergasted! What a shock we had! The room was a concrete shell filled with a large bed, disgusting shaggy green curtains (which looked like carpet), industrial style windows which would have been perfect for a run-down office building and a desk with a TV on it. It was not the first impression we were hoping for! We had paid £80 to stay there for the night (it was obvious they had raised the price because of the Christmas period and everyone tends to stay in Cardiff for their works do’s) so we was definitely not expecting this! As both hard working people – our money tends to be spent on as little things as possible because in this climate – times are hard and now and again we will treat ourselves to a treat – and this was our treat?!! It is true to say we were GUTTED! The corners of the room and the curtains had mould and the shower curtain had questionable stains on them! To add insult to injury the room was absolutely FREEZING!!! We tried working the heater for it to initially work then stop. So all night we froze!

That wasn’t the end of our Big Sleep nightmare! In order to attend the Christmas party we had to of course get ready! The dress I was going to wear luckily didn’t need ironing however, my partner’s shirt did. So he began to use the iron the room was provided with … for it to leak all over his brand new top! He then went to reception and asked for another – they informed him that in the floor above us there was an iron in a cupboard. He then went on to use that iron only to end up with the same results – it leaked! Again my partner went to reception told them about the situation for them to then give him one from behind the reception desk (why they didn’t do this in the first place I do not know). He then used this iron which finally worked but it still did leak a bit onto his shirt! What a farce!! Needless to say we ended up being late to our Christmas party!! So thanks for that Big Sleep!

Another area which needs improvement was the breakfast situation! I did not go down as I am a fussy eater anyway and I knew it wouldn’t be as good as somewhere like the Park Inn or Premiere Inn so I didn’t bother! However, my partner did venture down and try it. Apparently it was a chav fest! There was music channels blasting, the people who worked there were wearing tracksuit bottoms and seen swearing, and the bread was stale and the coffee was like tar! He didn’t try anything else so I couldn’t comment but to be fair I think that was enough to show the standards! He did also mention the character of a lot of the guests down there as well but I don’t think I can blame that on the hotel, although maybe if they upped their anti then they would attract a different type of clientele.

My tip to The Big Sleep hotel is to have a massive revamp!!! Move to a different building which doesn’t look like an office block, have some sort of heating system which works, have normal curtains, get comfier beds, provide an iron that works and a bigger ironing board, provide some sort of entrance to the room (have a look the Park Inn and the Premier Inn room layout), provide clean shower curtains (without the stains please), sort the breakfast situation out (staff need a uniform, don’t have music channels on the TV) and to be honest I could list more! However, I’m going to leave that to the owners to sort out!

My advice to those looking to stay in Cardiff – DO NOT STAY IN THE BIG SLEEP!!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel twice now.. both times because I was going to see a show at Motorpoint, and me and my friends just wanted somewhere to sleep - so it was perfect for that!

Both times, me and my friends have booked a room with a double bed and a sofa bed. The double bed was hard, and not very comfy - imagine sleeping on cardboard. However, the sofa bed was very comfy!

The decor was simple, but nice.. my only criticism there would be the curtains - they looked like some form of roadkill!

Being located near the Cardiff Central Station, trains were often passing - and they were pretty noisy! However, this didn't bother me a great deal, as I was only after a few hours sleep.

Breakfast in the morning was good. There was a selection of cereals - as well as toast, fruit, eggs, cheese and various pastries. The only thing that disappointed me was the lack of bacon!

Should I visit Cardiff again, I would stay at this hotel - but only for a night, or two!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 15, 2013

This hotel from start to finish was terrible the buzzer didn't work outside so had to ring hotel to let us in when it was fixed anyone could walk in without a key as reception was on the second floor so could go up in the lift without them knowing really bad security!! Was given our keys one lift was broken so couldn't use this sign on the side of lift only 4 can use. and nails coming out of everywhere room was disgusting nothing cleaned properly smelled of wee everywhere carpets discoloured things hanging of walls. Light only come on when flicked on a few times then the tv would come on to the light switch was coming off we could have been electrocuted!! Bad electrics, mould on some on the walls Curtains were like shaggy carpets.I know it's a basic hotel and we was expecting that but no General cleanliness at all!!!!!! Worst night stay had to stay out most of the night to get away from my room as it was so depressing. Looks nothing like the pictures If your looking for a good location that's all it's got going for it.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Twin room booked for a one-night stay with a friend- we basically just wanted somewhere to sleep. Room was a fair size and clean, and hotel is very well located. Decor is not the greatest (curtains looked like someone had butchered a rug!) but good enough. Breakfast provided was cereal/toast/fruit with lots of coffee- for the price we weren't expecting any breakfast so was actually a welcome surprise.
Not a destination hotel- but absolutely fine for somewhere to stay after gigs/on a shopping trip

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 11, 2013

The best thing about this hotel is it's great location to the MotorPoint arena and cardiff city centre.
There are just to many negatives to recommend this hotel.
Room was very basic and cold as there was just a small electric wall heater in the bedroom. Car park is small so you have to get there early, it is charged at £6 for 24hrs plus £1 for every hour extra. There was no hairdryer and also no teaspoons with the tea making facilities. There are 2 lifts but only 1 was working but intermitantly. No extra blankets. Water stains on ceiling tiles. The breakfast is only continental but actually quite nice and varied. Even though the price of the room was competative, I think next time I would pay more and stay elsewhere. Reception staff were friendly.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!