“Never Again !!!”

Ranked #52 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
wales
“Never Again !!!”
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We booked this hotel on laterooms.com and paid £60 for one night's bed and breakfast.
Oh dear what an awful place ! I would label it as a budget hostel rather than an hotel.There is only one lift that works and having read other reviews,this has been the case for a few years.
The rooms are large but very cold. There is a heater which takes the chill off but nowhere near heats the room.The floor is carpeted in dowdy,grey carpet tiles which are thin and dirty.The curtains were badly stained and faded and did not fit the windows fully when drawn.The bathroom smelled of wee.The toilet was badly stained,the light flickered constantly and there is no running cold water.
The worse thing was the beds.We were ''priviliged'' to have 2 double beds in our room. When we returned from our night out I decided to take the quilt off the spare bed and use that as well for a bit of extra warmth. I was horrified to find that the sheets had not been changed.The mattress was covered in glitter and pubic hair. Someone had had a good night ! It was 2am in the morning and we had had a good few drinks so decided to grin and bear it.We slept on top of the quilt and used the spare as cover.I was afraid to look at the sheets on the bed we were sleeping in.That would not have been the case without the alcohol !!!!
We were on the 10th floor. It was noisy as hell at 6.45am and when we looked out of the window we realised that the train line is directly opposite as well as a very busy road with 2 sets of traffic lights along it. Horns beeped like a dawn chorus.God help the poor buggers on low floors.
Breakfast was grim.Boxes of cereal, croissants,bread and a toaster,boiled eggs,jam and cheese. There were tea and coffee machines and fruit juice on tap.
I did not bother to complain as I dont think any one cares judging from other reviews which I have read.With the hangover from hell I was just glad to get home to my own bed.
We are working class so do not have expectations above ourselves. We can do basic but not grubby. Never again !!
One positive was the staff. They were welcoming and attentive. Bet they wouldn't stay here though !

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Bridgend, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I stayed her for one night with my daughter and I expected to be a very average budget hotel from reading reviews on certain pages. I'm glad to say that I was pleasantly surprised by the standard of the rooms. Great location, staff very friendly and helpful and would definitely visit again. Well worth the money. The only downside I would say is the stairwell. This really could do with some TLC as it looks very shabby, but nothing that would put me off visiting.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room as you get a great panoramic view of the city.
1 Thank Sally J
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2012

For some reason, I had wanted to stay here. I don't know why. On arrival, one of the many drunk stag groups were noisily drinking in the reception. Waited for the single working lift only to find another pissed stag night reveller slumped inside.
Then the room! From the hole in the bathroom door, to the damaged and dirty furniture to the vomit remains on the paper thin walls. Not exactly bliss. But it was handy, particularly for the train which ran 20 feet from the window every 10 minutes.
Don't think I'll be returning. A big step down from a youth hostel!

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Cardiff hotels

Treorchy, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Stayed here for 1 night ....very basic room.......despite room being clean the blanket style curtains were filthy!!! Only 1 lift working for all 10 floors & that was slow & unreliable.....the breakfast room is untidy and again basic.....definitely not worth the money & we will not b staying again.

• Stayed October 2012
Kingswinford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I stayed at The Big Sleep for one night during October half term to visit my daughter who is studying at Cardiff University. I thought it was very good. I paid £35 pounds for a twin room with a continental breakfast included and as my daughter stayed with me to avoid the delights of student digs I think that's excellent value for money. The room was large, clean,comfortable, warm and had everything we wanted and needed. The adjoining bathroom was again, large, clean, warm, lots of towels on the heated towel rail and a bath (she only has a shower in her flat!). Breakfast was self service but there was lots of variety. Again, the brreakfast room was clean and spacious. We had noisy neighbours but a 'phone call to a friendly and helpful reception resolved the issue quickly and a good night's sleep was enjoyed by us both. Would I stay there again? Absolutely!

Room Tip: look on discount web sites and book in advance for best deals.
1 Thank debra b
torquay
Reviewed October 25, 2012

this is a office block converted into basic rooms the room was a good size with basic furnishings down points of the room were no windows that could be opened and no cold water it was luke warm from the cold tap. before we left it had been noted on a previous review that one lift was out of order and guess what it still only one lift and on departure the remaining lift was playing up and kept getting stuck not very good when you need to carry your luggage down from the seveth floor in a cold stairwell,I can not comment on breakfast as i was informed by other members of my party that they were running out of everything by 9.15 despite breakfast not finishing till 9.30 could not even get a cup of tea.
on a positive note car parking charges are resonable we paid £11 to leave our car for 26 hours

Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Very basic rooms, limited tv channels, fairly comfortable bed and clean bathroom. For £29 b/b in a city centre it was fine for a night or two. Check-in was straightforward once you climbed the ramp to reception on the second floor, limited parking if you arrive by car. Breakfast was good. Must have been a job lot when they purchased the blanket-like curtains!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back overlook a fairly busy train line.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business