“Great location .....poor quality room”

The Big Sleep Hotel Cardiff by Compass Hospitality
Ranked #46 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed March 28, 2011

The location of this hotel is the only positive thing I can say about this hotel! I booked a standard room and was expecting a budget type with a bit more of a 'boutique' twist. The room although a good size was very very bare. No pictures on wall, poor quality duvet cover, only 1 pillow each etc. The room was boiling hot due to the lovely sunny weather but there was not air conditioning. The wall mounted fan did not really do the job....goodness knows what it would be like in the summer as there were no windows to open. Our room was on the 9th floor but only 1 lift was working which ment we had to wait an age for the other one. That lift felt like it was about to plummet to the ground floor making all sorts of horrible noises. I would only recommend this hotel if all the other hotels in the area were booked!!

Management response:Responded April 6, 2011

Thank you for your review your comments will be discussed in the next Managers Meeting.

Reviewed March 26, 2011

The Big Sleep is great location and thats it. We stayed in the excutive suite which is
suppose to be of a higher standard. The sheets have holes in them the deco is really shabby leaking taps, aloud sqeaking noise when the lift is being used. One lift is broken
and the one that is working gets stuck on the 2nd level.
This Hotel is a disgrace the list goes on it is so dirty and for the money that we paid £99 for one night is disgusting. Good view of the city through the dirty windows this Budget hotel needs a visit from Enviromental Health Department and the Welsh tourist board.

Management response:Responded March 28, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to put a review on Trip Advisor. The issues that you mentioned will be investigated immediately and acted upon accordingly. Sorry for any inconvenience caused reference the lift - it was broken by a guest, solicitors are dealing with this. On a positive note, decorators are currently inhouse painting and decorating bedrooms and public areas.

In the future if you use the hotel again and have any issues please make the Duty Manager aware of it immediately so they can deal with the matter promptley.

Kind Regards

Reviewed March 22, 2011

I needed somewhere cheap, central and last minute. Having stayed in the big sleep in Cheltenham but this is what I like about it. No nonsense, its not trying to be somewhere its not. Its a budget hotel that is a lot cheaper than most other budget hotels. Check in was quick, and when I had problems with my TV they sorted it out with no problem.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
TBSH G, Manager at The Big Sleep Hotel Cardiff by Compass Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to write a review based on your recent stay at The Big Sleep Hotel Cardiff. We always appreciate guest feedback whether it constructive or praise. I am very pleased to read that you had such a good experience whilst staying with us. We hope we can accommodate you again in the near future. Thank you again for taking the time to leave your review

Reviewed March 18, 2011

I booked the Big Sleep owing to its proximity to the Cardiff International Arena as I had tickets for Westlife. Having booked I read the reviews on Trip Advisor and was slightly concerned. How pleasantly surprised we were, the reception was bright and airy, staff friendly and the room was more than acceptable. The hotel was overlooking the Arena whcih was excellent for us and there were plenty of restaurants and bars nearby. For the price I thought it was very good and I would stay in the hotel again.

1  Thank westlifer2

Reviewed March 8, 2011

I needed somewhere cheap, central and last minute. Having stayed in the big sleep in Cheltenham I new about its 'ikea' qualities, but this is what I like about it. No nonsense, its not trying to be somewhere its not. Its a budget hotel that is alot cheaper than most other budget hotels. Check in was quick, and when I had problems with my TV and asked for an extra blanket they were sorted out no problem.

The room was a decent size and did its job. The shower was slightly annoying as it would loose its power after a minute or so, and then come back on straight away. (a bit like at the swimming pool where you have to keep pressing the button). But when it was on properly it was lovely and warm and powerful. Breakfast lots of choice, although there was no cooked, there was enough to fill you up.

Two bad point to note however. You do take your life in your own hands when using the lift, and there is only one working. Being on the top floor I didn't fancy the stairs up, but did use them on the way down. Also I didn't have a hairdryer in my room and had to borrow one from a friend who was staying in the radison next door. There was a communal area on each floor that should of had a haridryer in it but I couldn't find it.

I would much rather stay in this hotel than any other budget hotels that you pay twice the price for and get less. Please don't expect miricles from this hotel, but the location, convienience and simpleness of this hotel does make it a good place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed March 5, 2011

stayed here for one night only,(thank god) 5/3/2011. 1 lift working, was a nightmare,very,very noisy,doors banging all night students having party's knocking on my door at 1 in the morning,trying to open my door.tea stains on the wall,bed like sleeping on a piece of hardboard,1 thing that i cant complain about was the breakfast,was continental but a great choice.needs double glazing to drown out the trains going past.

• Stayed: March 2011

Reviewed February 26, 2011

There are too many negative comments to write about this place, start wasn't great in trying to find the place, and trying to navigate the one way system, got to the car park which has about 10 spaces for a hotel that can hold what looks like over a 100- got directed around one way system to a car park to pay 5 pound, which wasn't the most secure and worried about the car most of the stay, got to the room and it was soo dirty, curtains, carpet, and bathroom, toilet did not flush! And had a about 2 hours sleep with people coming back from nights out, banging doors and parties in rooms, no night porters checking hallways, as drunken yob passed out in hallway, banging doors! Eventually quitened down around 5am woke up next mornin with sore backs from matress, and tiredness from being awake most of the night! Possibly the worst hotel I've stayed in, stay away at all cost!

• Stayed: February 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write a review based on your recent stay at The Big Sleep Hotel Cardiff. We always appreciate guest feedback whether it constructive or praise. I am sorry to read that you had such a negative experience whilst staying with us. While I wish you had a better experience, it is feedback like this that we learn from and use to improve. We work hard to deliver an exceptional guest experience, and it's apparent in this case that we fell short. We will pass these comments to our Maintenance and Housekeeping teams to be dealt with straight away and make sure it does not happen again. If you give us a chance to earn back your trust, I can assure you that we will do our best to give you the great hotel experience that so many of our guests have grown so fond of. Thank you again for taking the time to leave your review