“2 completely different experiences...”
Review of The Conway

The Conway
Ranked #239 of 1,262 Restaurants in Cardiff
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed June 3, 2013

we have eaten at the Conway for the last two weekends, as we enjoyed it so much last week we decided to come again while my mother was up visiting this wkend.

I shall begin with last weekend....what a delight. lovely service, great beers available and the food? amazing. I was expecting your bog standard pub grub, but instead we were met with an interesting, alternative pub menu, I enjoyed a selection of pork cuts with a lovely mustard polenta which worked brilliantly. hubbys coley was perfectly cooked and a strange but delicious combination with charizo and roasted(!!) lettuce the desserts were equally enjoyable, the only regret was that we hadn't ordered starters!! all in all a lovely experience leaving us very full up and very impressed,

and on too this wkeend....well, it was as if they had asked for the washer upper to do the cooking this time! the quality was well below last week, our fish was overcooked, dish accompanyments were luke warm,, and the general cooking of the food and thje way it looked was well below last weeks experience. it was as if they had changed the chefs and the menu was too much for them. too say I was embarresed is an understatement. I had bought my mother here after raving about the meal we had experienced and only one week later we received the sdame menu, with little of no effort put in to it.

I was so disappointed we dint even order desserts this time, and we will not be returning. what happened Conway? how can we have too opposite dining experiences in two wkends?!!

p.s
I would have given 5 stars for our experience last week, but only one for this week. for that reason I have giventwo, as I don't know how the same venue can let standards drop so dramatically

1  Thank lesley j
There are newer reviews for The Conway

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Meh just Meh! Nothing great or special. And quite a few pennies for what you get! Bit of a shame really! Prefer to go to cheap and cheerful Conway!

Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

We arrived few minutes early for dinner reservation. It was packed, no-where to sit but never mind we had a reservation. We were told table not ready...waited 20mins getting bumped every 5 mins by people squeezing past. In the end got impatient and walked into the 'restaurant' to ask if our table for ready. We were told it was (thanks for letting us know). It could barely pass as a restaurant, cheap tables, garden furniture to sit on, no air conditioning (it must have been 90 degrees in there) and noise! Kids screaming, noisey tables, you had to shout to have a conversation! It's certainly isn't a restaurant, it's a pub! Nothing against pubs I like them when I'm paying £20 for a main I expect a comfortable restaurant and decent service. I was however hungry so decided to look at the menu whilst sat on my grubby chair. Hmmm there is no menu just a small leaflet telling me the menu is on a chalk board. I get up, wait for 5 mins to navigate the waitresses and hoards of people trying to get through the one single file way to the chalk board. Decide what I want (my parter is a veggie and we rang ahead to check what the veggie options were. There was one she liked which is why we went but it wasn't there when we got there so she was stuck with one option she didn't like). Sat back down in my uncomfortable chair to wait for service. None arrived. Enquired as to why none arrived and was told we needed to order at the bar. Great, time to run the gauntlet again. Eventually after 5 mins got to the bar after dodging waiting staff and pub goers. Decided not to waste any more of my money and go to a restaurant rather than a pub so I paid for our mediocre overpriced glasses of wine and walked out. We've lived in pontcanna for years and eaten everywhere else. You'll struggle to find a bad place to eat in pontcanna unless your unfortunate enough to stumble across the Conway!

4  Thank Nick986s
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Wedi cael cinio arbennig. Croesawgar iawn. Croesawu plant. Bwyd da. Bwydlen gall ar gyfer plant a theganau glan. Dim byd yn broblem gan y staff!

Had a lovely lunch. Good food. Fab staff! Good menu for little ones and lovely clean toys!
Staff willing and eager to go the extra mile!

Diolch yn fawr!

Reviewed May 21, 2013

At first impressions, I was really impressed by the Conway. I'd gone to meet with a few colleagues and been recommended it as a good place for reasonably priced gastro pub food.

The customer service is fantastic. Really friendly bar-tenders/waiters, who seem to have good relationships with many regulars, which isn't surprising and I was pleased to be offered a couple of alternative ciders that weren't on tap, incase these were to my preference.

But when the food arrived, which was quite quickly, I was disappointed at how little flavour it had. Both myself and my friend, who had the mackerel, were expecting more. What's more, I was surprised to see that the chorizo within the risotto, was pink and tasted an awful lot like bacon.

All in all, I would return, but maybe just for a drink and a pudding.

2  Thank Flisseeby