“Meh”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Conway

The Conway
Ranked #247 of 1,213 Restaurants in Cardiff
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Welsh
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Moon Township, Pennsylvania
“Meh”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

Meh just Meh! Nothing great or special. And quite a few pennies for what you get! Bit of a shame really! Prefer to go to cheap and cheerful Conway!

• Visited December 2012

Cardff
“There isn't a bad place to eat in Pontcanna...oh wait there's the Conway”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

We arrived few minutes early for dinner reservation. It was packed, no-where to sit but never mind we had a reservation. We were told table not ready...waited 20mins getting bumped every 5 mins by people squeezing past. In the end got impatient and walked into the 'restaurant' to ask if our table for ready. We were told it was (thanks for letting us know). It could barely pass as a restaurant, cheap tables, garden furniture to sit on, no air conditioning (it must have been 90 degrees in there) and noise! Kids screaming, noisey tables, you had to shout to have a conversation! It's certainly isn't a restaurant, it's a pub! Nothing against pubs I like them when I'm paying £20 for a main I expect a comfortable restaurant and decent service. I was however hungry so decided to look at the menu whilst sat on my grubby chair. Hmmm there is no menu just a small leaflet telling me the menu is on a chalk board. I get up, wait for 5 mins to navigate the waitresses and hoards of people trying to get through the one single file way to the chalk board. Decide what I want (my parter is a veggie and we rang ahead to check what the veggie options were. There was one she liked which is why we went but it wasn't there when we got there so she was stuck with one option she didn't like). Sat back down in my uncomfortable chair to wait for service. None arrived. Enquired as to why none arrived and was told we needed to order at the bar. Great, time to run the gauntlet again. Eventually after 5 mins got to the bar after dodging waiting staff and pub goers. Decided not to waste any more of my money and go to a restaurant rather than a pub so I paid for our mediocre overpriced glasses of wine and walked out. We've lived in pontcanna for years and eaten everywhere else. You'll struggle to find a bad place to eat in pontcanna unless your unfortunate enough to stumble across the Conway!

Visited June 2013
4 Thank Nick986s
“Da iawn/very good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

Wedi cael cinio arbennig. Croesawgar iawn. Croesawu plant. Bwyd da. Bwydlen gall ar gyfer plant a theganau glan. Dim byd yn broblem gan y staff!

Had a lovely lunch. Good food. Fab staff! Good menu for little ones and lovely clean toys!
Staff willing and eager to go the extra mile!

Diolch yn fawr!

Cardiff, United Kingdom
“If only the food wasn't bland...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

At first impressions, I was really impressed by the Conway. I'd gone to meet with a few colleagues and been recommended it as a good place for reasonably priced gastro pub food.

The customer service is fantastic. Really friendly bar-tenders/waiters, who seem to have good relationships with many regulars, which isn't surprising and I was pleased to be offered a couple of alternative ciders that weren't on tap, incase these were to my preference.

But when the food arrived, which was quite quickly, I was disappointed at how little flavour it had. Both myself and my friend, who had the mackerel, were expecting more. What's more, I was surprised to see that the chorizo within the risotto, was pink and tasted an awful lot like bacon.

All in all, I would return, but maybe just for a drink and a pudding.

2 Thank Flisseeby
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Great Food and Great staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

This is a great pub to go for a meal with friends or a nice pint on a Sunday. The food is excellent and of a fantastic standard, and the staff are friendly. People will complain that it’s pretentious and not a 'local’s pub' but I remember the old Conway...always empty and staff that didn’t really care. It’s now a lively pub with a great atmosphere, and importantly the people that work there want you to enjoy the place. If pubs are going to survive in the UK they need to modernise and still keep their soul, well done the New Conway for doing just that. It can be a bit cramped on a weekend, but I prefer that to being able to hear the clock ticking on the wall.