“Excellent food and excellent service.”
Review of Maltsters

and 1 more site!
Maltsters
Ranked #17 of 45 Cardiff B&B and Inns
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Excellent food and excellent service.”
Reviewed August 14, 2014

We had a lovely meal at the Malsters in Cardiff tonight.
The food was excellent and at a reasonable price. It was also very well presented.
The customer service was excellent and the two girls serving us were lovely.
I would recommend this place to anyone. Great atmosphere and a great location.
Diolch yn fawr.

• Stayed August 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Reviewed August 5, 2014

We stayed here in July, the room was very well fitted with complementary water as well as the usual tea and coffee. There had been a lot of thought put into maximising the space but strangely the tea tray had to be moved to the other side of the room to reach a socket!
The car park is free but you have to display a pass from the bar/reception.
The bar serves a good range of food and some very interesting real ales.
Breakfast was of a very high standard with a good choice and the staff are happy to tailor this to your taste.
We will stay here again and would recommend The Malsters if you are looking for a friendly Inn in the Llandaff or Cardiff area

Room Tip: We had a room beside the car park, there is a door directly out to the car park from the corridor...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Admcck
Reviewed July 18, 2014

I went to the Maltsters earlier this week for a mid-day birthday celebration. We had booked for about 20 people and arrived in good time.

The food eventually arrived about an hour late and a number of people complained about their dishes - issues related to portion size & food not as described.

We were told that they were busy due to Student Graduations - but the bar and restaurant areas were pretty clear. If they were too busy and/or short staffed they should have advised us when we booked.

My food tasted fine but was overpriced for what it was - Burger and small portion of chips.

Given a choice I doubt that I would bother going back to the Maltsters as the overall experience was very poor. There are other pubs in the area that offer better value for money and a much quicker service.

If this is Brains' idea of a quality eating experience they need their 'brains' tested!

NB Coopers a Brains Carvery, offers much better service and value for money - it offers plain food and does not pretend to be classy by serving small overpriced portions with something dribbled over it along with a thimble full of onion!

Room Tip: N/A as we were only there for a meal.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sheltie2013
Perth
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Visited Cardiff to catch up with old friends and former colleagues. As I was travelling with my little boy the proximity of the bedrooms to the Bar was ideal. The staff were very helpful in changing the configuration of the beds to accommodate my son and I. The TV set into the wall above the bath was a nice touch. My son enjoyed the Simpsons and I enjoyed the soccer world cup. The bed was perfectly comfortable. There is a large free car park and the pub is only a short distance from the city centre. Breakfasts were gratifyingly huge and good selection of newspapers. For an occasional visitor to the UK but real ale devotee the range of beers was a bit limited unless you like Brains. Reasonable selection of wines however and uber cheerful barman.
Would definitely stay here again on a visit to Cardiff.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 11, 2014 via mobile

I've been to this pub many times over the years, but not eaten here before. In recent times it's undergone a major revamp which now makes it a popular place with a great ambience. The menu is quite extensive, but I opted for a ploughman's. Surely the only problem with a ploughman's is the guilt on leaving the hunks of cheese, with concerns about overconsumption and cholesterol. You don't have to worry about that here. It was served on a slate, nice touch, with some nice fresh ham. Salad garnish and sliced cabbage, again was fine. But the main components - the cheese, pickled onion and apple left a great deal to be desired. The pickled onions had been pickled several years ago, or so it seemed -they were dark brown all the way through. I was presented with 3 finely sliced pieces of apple, so finely sliced you could see daylight through them and didn't even make up an eighth of an apple. But this paled when considering what should have been the 'star of the show' -the cheese, or as is often the case, cheeses. I sat open-mouthed before calling the waitress back to complain! I was presented with a small triangle of cheese that was smaller than my index finger! If you reconfigured it, not even a big as a Dairylea Triangle! Not only was it challenged by size, but had also been 'hanging around' as it had been sweating somewhere and was warm. She hastily brought me another slightly larger portion that was fresh, but this did impact on the enjoyment of our meal. My friend did, however, have a nicely presented salmon sandwich, which looked and tasted good, so not all was lost.
When I complained and asked for an explanation, my bill wad reduced by the cost of my meal and I was told that the meals come as a template from Brains. Not really an excuse, surely common sense should prevail. Come on you can do better, use your brains....

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank CardiffMaddie
Reviewed May 6, 2014

Booked a table for ourselves and friends. This was a return visit as we have had many lovely meals here before, weekday lunches, weekend meals and evening meals. Didn't disappoint, food and staff were excellent as usual. Looking forward to going again and would not hesitate to recommend this place to others. Be aware there is a tight entrance to the car park (£1 reclaimable fee)

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Walsall, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights as a group of 7. We had 4 rooms and all the rooms are lovely. We had room 4 which was very luxurious with a large bath in it. The breakfast was fantastic. All the staff were very friendly, helpful, polite and made us feel very welcome. We ate in the pub on Friday and the menu had a good choice and was priced reasonably. We would highly recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Room 4 has a large bath in the room.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends