“Average, not amazing”

and 1 more site!
Maltsters
Ranked #14 of 47 Cardiff B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

We just went for food, which was pretty good value, however it was pretty standard on quality and the meal didn't include everything on the menu- so probably won't go again. Venue seemed nice- however the toilets weren't that clean.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank rockbeetle

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Stayed at the Maltsters whilst visiting family in Cardiff. Very comfortable room, with TV/computer provided. I don't understand the use for a bath in the bedroom, but no problems. Very comfy bed, we slept like logs in our very quiet room.
We ate in the restaurant on the saturday evening, despite being very busy, the service was good, by very friendly and helpful staff. Food was good "pubgrub" no complaints from any of our party, very reasonable food pricing too.
Breakfast was served in the pub and was very good.
Accomodation prices are not cheap, but quite good value.
We would be very happy to revisit this pub/hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Just returned from a 2 night stay in the room with the bath in the room, unfortunately the gentleman who showed us to our room had difficulty with the card and electricity supply, and when he came back to us with a 2nd entry card I asked him for some cleaning products so that I could clean the bath and also advised him that the toilet had also not been cleaned after the previous guests had left, I believe his name was Steven (very nice and helpful person who i noticed worked extremely hard in the bar area) and he came back with the cleaning products but cleaned the bath himself (the toilet wasn't). Next morning at breakfast Mmmm asked what I required to drink I confirmed tea (no tea selection) when the teapot arrived I was told that there was no lid, once the table next to me left I took the lid off their teapot, then had a 20 minute plus wait for the breakfast, which was not entirely the waitress fault as she was checking out other rooms at the same time, no teaspoons received so had to use the cereal spoons, hubby normally eats everything, but sausages were not very good, service on this mornings breakfast was different possibly as the manager was in charge teacups and spoons laid out, beans on the cold side, advised by hubby sausages were better today.
Room needs to be thoroughly cleaned top to bottom the welsh words ' dim gran' come to mind which is a shame, the Venetian blind by the bath has been damaged for over a year!
I possibly would stay here again, but I think it is overpriced. DISAPOINTED

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rosie40
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I have a mixed review about this place. We came here whilst visiting friends in Cardiff. We booked in advance and the venue was busy. Shown our table we were asked for drinks... I asked for a wine list, it soon became apparent we had a new waitress, although I have no issue with this. We were told no list available as it doesn't come out until next week. So we asked what wines were available... After leaving again to ask we were told red white or rose. This was going to be hard work! We laughed it off and requested a simple merlot. We ordered our food and waited about 15 mins for our starter. I ordered scallops on a bed of minted pea purée, with prosciutto. I received scallops on mushy peas with an over done dry piece of back bacon torn in two. I was very annoyed at £7 this was unacceptable. We then waited 55 minutes for our main course. Our plates were only collected from our starter when our man arrived. The main sirloin steak was very good, what a shame it took so long.

Overall I feel as though the food could be excellent here but it has been completely overshadowed by the poor service, unacceptable waits and substituting items for tinned mushy peas is unforgivable. Yes it was very busy... But no the waiting was not unique to our table, others were up in arms too. Shame.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Stayed at the Maltsers llandaff for a 40th birthday bash at the nearby BBC Wales tv studio so location was perfect as within walking distance , i was very impressed not only with the designer rooms , only 5 of which make up this boutique hotel but they come complete with Apple media tv web dvd etc but in addition to this a wet tv in the bathroom , but also of the staff who were very friendly and helpful , the wife and i had a sandwich as a late afternoon snack and had arrived within 5 minutes of order and was very tasty . Free parking for hotel residents in a large rear car park
Breakfast in the morning was also served promptly and was delicious
All in all I recommend this hotel if a little on the pricey side at £85 for B&B but worth it .

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank TONGALeicestershire
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I booked a room here as it is close to our office and adverse weather was forecast. I was suprised they no longer offered a company discount (this was due to 'new management') so paid the standard rate of £85 b&b.

The room was a double at the back with a corner aspect. It had no central heating and was cold. I plugged in the 2 oil filled heaters and went to the bar.

I ordered some food as it was getting late. It was not busy and my order of a meat and cheese board with bread, biscuits and pickles arrived quickly and was perfectly acceptable.

Back in the room I noticed that it needed a good clean as well as a refresh. There was thick dust on the bottom shelf of the wardrobe area, plastic wrapping on the floor next to the bedside table. The bathroom was thick with dust, the edge of the ceiling covered in cob webs, mould on the tiling around the bath and the floor hadn't been cleaned. The edge of the basin unit had come off and not been replaced and the pillar tap was loose.

Breakfast was basic. The hot selection was freshly cooked (took half an hour to arrive - despite me agreeing a time to eat the night before) and well presented. Plenty of chat from the staff around the bar some of which I did not need to hear!

I had read many of the reviews on here about this and was suprised management could not have acted on them. At the price they charge for a room I would expect a lot better, there are plenty of decent hotels in the centre of Cardiff for less than this. I can only assume they are not bothered about filling rooms, only to keep them back for Brains staff use.

Room Tip: Take a duster with you!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 4, 2013

The reason we decided to eat here was that it looked so nice from the outside and that the menu was the same as another local restaurant the Plough in Whitchurch. We had eaten at the Plough several months ago and the food was superb especially the vegetarian option, cheese and mushroom strudel. We had however returned several weeks later and the same meal was very poor, virtually raw pastry. We had high hopes for this place having looked at the up market pictures on the internet. The actual place doesn’t come up to the standard of the pictures but is still ok. I ordered the Strudel and my wife ordered the sea bream. The food arrived very promptly after less than 10 minutes, not a good sign in my experience. My wife’s meal looked very small and was lost in the large plate, no accompanying salad just the fish on top of what looked like mashed potato. Mine was awful completely dried out and overcooked with an apology for a salad as an accompaniment. I complained to the waitress who said “Oh I’m sorry about that” but did nothing to resolve the problem. I left most of mine. These two meals and two drinks cost about £32, wish I’d just had two pounds worth of chips and thrown £30 pounds down the drain.
Very poor, please avoid if you like good food.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
LeonOuest, Manager at Maltsters, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Whilst we strive to maintain a consistent and pleasant experience for all of our patrons, we can however get this wrong. This feedback is invaluable to us, and I have brought this particular information up with our team as it is essential we aim to acknowledge and attempt to rectify our mistakes.

I would like to think that you may again sometime consider visiting us as we are looking to progress and achieve the best possible dining experience for all of our guests, with food and drinks served by attentive and knowledgable staff.

If you do decide to visit us once again, or would like to discuss this particular visit with me, then please feel free to contact the venue on 02920 333096 or via email maltstersllandaff@sabrain.com.

Kindest regards, Leon (AHM).