“Lovely Stay”

Ranked #2 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Lovely Stay”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Stayed for two nights, apart from car parking this hotel is in Fantastic location, Check in was a automated system which was quick and problem free.
The room was tidy and a decent size, the bed was comfortable and one of the best pillows i've had in a hotel before. The buffet breakfast was very tasty and quality. Without doubt would consider staying a Premier Inn again

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (458)
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for three days found it very clean good central location staff had a smile on there face so that has to be good reception staff were great very help full stayed for diner on the £22 pound meal deal for all three night it's on a sett menue I asked for some little changes but they can't alter it in any way you can change dry wine for sweet or a pint for cider or two sweet instead of a starter the girl turned white with fear wen we asked but that was our Falty not hers over all a great stay great value for money thank you Cardiff you have got it just about right oh yes forgot the wi fi is £3 a night why it's not free I do not know mark Milton Keynes :)

• Stayed September 2012
Wimborne Minster, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Can't complain about the hotel except for small issues; would like to give it 4.5!
The real issue is parking - the NCP one recommended is certainly close to the hotel but really awkward to get to, with an approach that is not at all obvious (the obvious entrances/routes look to have been closed off recently, so don't necessarily believe a route finder). It will help if you can find/print out a map of the streets nearby in case you go wrong, as we did! Also, despite the discount from Premier, it was nearly £32 for 2 days (I suppose that's actually parts of 3 days).
Clearly this is not Premier's fault, but it does detract, especially as the room was only £41 per night for the two of us, excluding breakfast, even though cancellable until the last minute.
Location is good for all the city centre sights and amenities, although the plaza outside the hotel is rather bleak. As with other reviewers, we feel the 'rapid' automated check in is a mistake - it is quite long winded and there were lots of friendly and helpful staff around who could have checked us in. I guess it would be useful if you arrive at a very busy time. As another reviewer said, you can't charge things to your room - that's because you pay up front on arrival (when you can add in meals if you know you want them), so there's no waiting around on check-out.
The room was a good size and spotless, with sufficient amenities (I don't expect lots of toiletries at this price), but hardly any view (again, though, hardly the sort of hotel where you expect a great view - it's a bonus if you get one). It was also comfortable and quiet. Food was fine (though only had breakfasts) and, again, staff were very pleasant and helpful.
Why, oh why, though, do they put the signs up about saving the environment by continuing to use towels and still change them even though they're hung up neatly. It's not just Premier but almost every hotel we stay in.
Overall, a good place to stay and excellent value for money.

1 Thank Geoffy
Llanelli, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Stayed here overnight when we were attending a John Bishop show. Five minutes walk from Motorpoint Arena. Very clean, lovely restaurant with good quality food. We payed for the £22 meal deal which included a three course evening meal with a drink and breakfast the next day which worked out excellent value. Not sure about parking because we travelled by bus. Main bus/train station is also a short walk away. Also ideal for shopping trips as it is situated right next to main shopping centre. Will definately stay here again.

Riverview, Canada
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I was traveling to Cardiff for business and my client recommended this hotel. Interestingly enough, our company did not recommend it due to "issues" they have had in the past. Here's what I found.

Pros

Nice building, clean, downtown access is great, and the area seems pretty decent. Check in was simpler than any place I have ever been to thanks to the self-serve kiosks. Room is clean and actually had a decent view. I have stayed in far worse places than this and it was nice to finally have a place to sit down after my long flight. Room was cleaned daily and on the surface seems like a really nice spot.

Cons

The biggest complaint I have about this place is how "stingy" it seems they are with everything. I've been traveling for business for six years and this is the first time I have ever been to a hotel (not motel) where my room didn't include: an iron and ironing board, a clock radio, a face cloth, or even a drawer of some kind to store my weeks worth of clothes. I was traveling for 12 hours and wanted to iron my clothes from my luggage but couldn't. I wanted to wash my face but couldn't because there's no face cloths. No, they are not provided, but they do provide you ONE hand towel and ONE shower towel. That's it. It was not a mistake as my room was cleaned two days in a row and no face cloths were provided.

No shampoo, soap, or any other amenities save for the pump action body/hair wash dispenser attached to the inside of the shower. Even the lamest of hotels I have been to provide a small shampoo container and a bar of soap. Are you really that cheap that you can't go that far for a customer? This isn't a corner motel.

What really did me in was going to the restaurant in the hotel and being told that I can't charge my meal to my room. Their menu is EVERYWHERE and in EVERY room yet I can't bill the food to my room. I don't know if they do room service but I am assuming they do not since they can't bill the food to the room. I also couldn't understand how the restaurant would be open for breakfast and dinner, but not for lunch. Makes no sense to me at all.

Lastly, the internet service I paid is a wastfor e of money. I eventually decided to use the internet on my phone because the wireless in the hotel is SO bad. Forget trying to stream anything or load a web page. I might retire by the time it loads.

---

Overall, the rooms are clean, the staff has been good to me, and since I'm not paying the bill I'm not too concerned about the price. I was however sorely disappointed at all of the things I am used to getting in other hotels of this class being absent from my room and the hotel. If it weren't for the fact there were no other hotels in the area that fit my client's budget, I would have moved to the Marriott down the street. I will not return here again.

I will however add that if I was not on a business trip, and this was purely for pleasure, I might find some of these issues less of a bother and shrug them off. But as a business traveler, you do not want to stay here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Matt K
Newquay, Cornwall Uk
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Stayed one night in September 2012. Typical Premier Inn meaning it was very good. Cooked Breakfast could have been a bit warmer and the procedure for making your own tea and coffee is weird and time consuming, why can't the staff bring it to the table.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the lifts and the large central lobby as there are many doors to bang in th...