“The best Indian thali + a lovely Indian grocery”
Review of Madhav

Madhav
Ranked #382 of 1,275 Restaurants in Cardiff
Description: Vegetarian Indian food
Description: Vegetarian Indian food
Reviewed June 24, 2013

... and that comes from an Indian vegetarian who grew up in India! I've previously reviewed Vegetarian Food Studio and thought that I'd found my ideal for a Sunday thali (full Indian meal), but this small, homely restaurant in the centre of Cardiff simply blew my mind. Madhav is a vegetarian Konkani restaurant + takeaway with a tiny but varied offering Indian grocery (veg and non veg items) in the attached store behind the cafe. A very unpretentious little place, quiet and basic, but the food is as mother makes. My husband and I have already been there 3 times since we discovered the place under a month ago, and we don't even live IN Cardiff.

The thali at 6.95 is a steal and we're so enamoured of it we haven't experimented beyond it in all three visits. The thali includes a serving of rice, two freshly made rotis topped with butter, a cup of amti (a type of dal / lentil dish which is my pick of the plate), a cup of curry that varies each time (the last time, we had channa aloo masala), one serving each of two additional curries which also vary (potato and cauliflower the last time around), a small portion of raita, a papad and a sweet. I found this filling, though my husband ordered two extra rotis at a nominal charge - if I remember right, 50p or a pound each. I chose a lassi which is a kind of buttermilk to end my meal. Each dish was tasty and the portions were just right to allow one to experiment with all the items on the plate.

The grocery shop has a selection of almost every Indian vegetable including tendli which I haven't found elsewhere so far, and a huge selection of pickles, papad varieties, even Tiger biscuits (!) and smacks sweetly of being back inside a traditional grocery anywhere in Mumbai or elsewhere in India. My find of the year so far, Madhav is a winner.

5  Thank ramaaramesh

Reviewed May 9, 2013

Brilliant, high quality traditional Indian food at a low price. Shop packed full of weird and wonderful Indian delicacies with great fresh fruit and veg.

1  Thank Alexfcardiff
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We ate the best vegetarian thali we have ever had in UK in a cheap but cheerful cafe. If you dont mind it basic the food is very good.

Reviewed September 13, 2010

Hot and spicy, but also with sweet (cinammon?) flavourings too all in a hand made shell. Really delicious. Went back for lunch today which was excellent too.

3  Thank thedimmick
Reviewed August 13, 2009

Best Indian food in Cardiff, vegetarian or otherwise. Ok, there's no meat or alcohol but it really is that good. The menu isn't extensive but the prices are very reasonable and delicious, especially the thali. The types of curries change regularly and the snacks are perfect if you don't want a full meal. The sweet and spicey kachuris are definitely worth a mention. Enjoy.