“Avoid, very disappointing, terrible food and bad service”

Pearl of the Orient
Ranked #205 of 1,318 Restaurants in Cardiff
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Since opening in 2001 Pearl of the Orient is seen by many as Cardiff's Premier Oriental restaurant. Situated in the opulent surroundings of Cardiff Bay's Mermaid Quay offers discerning customers the finest Cantonese, Peking, Malaysian and Szechwan as well as catering for Vegetarians in contemporary relaxed surroundings.
Reviewed April 3, 2014

Avoid this place, despite being half empty it took 15 mins before being greeted and shown to our table. We selected from the fixed menu and the food was awful. A squid dish was inedible, sesame toast was drenched in cold oil, fish cakes had no fish taste , we're Luke warm and was mainly batter, chicken dish was cold and the ribs were passable, the duck meat in Peking duck was completely overlooked, dried out and without any texture or taste....I could go on.

1  Thank ppppppeter

Reviewed April 1, 2014

We had already booked our table with a Groupon voucher prior to reading the reviews, following which our expectations were low. We came away from there with nothing but positives, we were greeted by a very polite young lady who made us feel very welcome, our order was taken swiftly and the food arrived in good time, the beef in black bean sauce sizzling as it arrived at the table is to be recommended! We ate on a Friday lunchtime, there were a constant stream of other diners who all seemed happy and contented. Yes, the bill included the service charge, but the waitress pointed this out to us and gave us the option of removing it. With the Groupon voucher we had a good choice of starters and mains as opposed to a set meal, then ice cream for desert. I can't find any reason not to return. "Take as you find"

Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

I went there for a meal with my family on the weekend but had mixed expectations due to the reviews I had read on here beforehand. We arrived a little bit late but were seated immediately, lovely atmosphere, plenty of other people there, didn't wait long at all for food and drinks and the food was outstanding. Definitely returning.

1  Thank Tintin933
Reviewed March 30, 2014

waited over 20 mins for a set meal. staff more interested in compairing boyfriends than attending to us. the place was empty when we arrived, never a good sign,the ribs were really nice but a really small portion of rice, felt unwelcome. i hate that!

1  Thank Gareth D
Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

We visited on a Saturday evening as a family of six.

I thought the place looked a little tired/simple in decoration but had high hopes for the food having been here previously. I was sad to say the food was greasy, the boiled rice portion for one was smaller than the little bowl you eat from (the egg fried rice for 50p more was twice the size), drinks were slow to the point another group gave up and left. I went home hungry and had to eat later that evening.

The food was variable, my brothers was 'lovely' and the prawn rice very tasty but ironically too big to finish! This is the only reason we have given it 2 stars.

Little less grease, some smiles/customer service from senior staff (waiting staff were friendly enough, however no one came to see me about the small rice query) and I think they could be a pearl again.