“Decide for yourself”

Ranked #297 of 1,326 Restaurants in Cardiff
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Since opening in 2001 Pearl of the Orient is seen by many as Cardiff's Premier Oriental restaurant. Situated in the opulent surroundings of Cardiff Bay's Mermaid Quay offers discerning customers the finest Cantonese, Peking, Malaysian and Szechwan as well as catering for Vegetarians in contemporary relaxed surroundings.
Reviewed April 1, 2014

We had already booked our table with a Groupon voucher prior to reading the reviews, following which our expectations were low. We came away from there with nothing but positives, we were greeted by a very polite young lady who made us feel very welcome, our order was taken swiftly and the food arrived in good time, the beef in black bean sauce sizzling as it arrived at the table is to be recommended! We ate on a Friday lunchtime, there were a constant stream of other diners who all seemed happy and contented. Yes, the bill included the service charge, but the waitress pointed this out to us and gave us the option of removing it. With the Groupon voucher we had a good choice of starters and mains as opposed to a set meal, then ice cream for desert. I can't find any reason not to return. "Take as you find"

Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

I went there for a meal with my family on the weekend but had mixed expectations due to the reviews I had read on here beforehand. We arrived a little bit late but were seated immediately, lovely atmosphere, plenty of other people there, didn't wait long at all for food and drinks and the food was outstanding. Definitely returning.

1  Thank Tintin933
Reviewed March 30, 2014

waited over 20 mins for a set meal. staff more interested in compairing boyfriends than attending to us. the place was empty when we arrived, never a good sign,the ribs were really nice but a really small portion of rice, felt unwelcome. i hate that!

1  Thank Gareth D
Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

We visited on a Saturday evening as a family of six.

I thought the place looked a little tired/simple in decoration but had high hopes for the food having been here previously. I was sad to say the food was greasy, the boiled rice portion for one was smaller than the little bowl you eat from (the egg fried rice for 50p more was twice the size), drinks were slow to the point another group gave up and left. I went home hungry and had to eat later that evening.

The food was variable, my brothers was 'lovely' and the prawn rice very tasty but ironically too big to finish! This is the only reason we have given it 2 stars.

Little less grease, some smiles/customer service from senior staff (waiting staff were friendly enough, however no one came to see me about the small rice query) and I think they could be a pearl again.

Reviewed March 21, 2014

Got treated to a Groupon deal lunch meal at a really posh Chinese in Cardiff Bay. Meal was a bit like the curate's egg, but on the whole, a positive experience. Now, the whole deal had been covered by our Groupon voucher. We also had a lemonade, a diet coke and a cup of coffee, which I knew we'd have to pay extra for. The bill came. £9.30. Wife took the bill and notices a charge of £3.30 (optional tax) had been added @10%. She asked about this and was told that it was the optional service charge.........but the 10% had been calculated against the cost of the whole hypothetical meal before the Groupon discount, not the price of the Groupon deal. We declined to pay.