“Nice position and atmosphere”
Review of Demiro's

Demiro's
Ranked #115 of 1,276 Restaurants in Cardiff
Cuisines: European, Mediterranean
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed July 19, 2014

I've been here a few times. They have specials in the early evening. I wouldn't say the food was special. The waiters are a bit unfriendly.
I went this week and we had a late spaghetti bolognese and a drink. It was just a snack but very pricey.
The waiter who showed us to a table was quite spiteful. Then we were reprimanded for taking the fancy napkins out of the wine glasses and using them. As a dish I'd rate my latest meal here a 3/10. Not great.

1  Thank CassieBB2013

Reviewed July 18, 2014

Walked past many resturants,we regularly eat in the bay. Decided to dine in demiros since we had dined ther before. We had tickets for war horse at 7.30 so didn't have a lot of time, we'll we needn't have worried,sat down at 6.56 and drinks ordered came straight away,didn't have a chance to look at all menu because we were told we could only have the table for an hour so rushed,we didn't get the chance to order everything we wanted. Hovering over us the whole time couldn't wait to get out of there. By the way food really good but don't like being watched constantly. Don't think would visit again because of this.

2  Thank Lesley G
Reviewed July 18, 2014

We were booked in for 5.30 having allowed 2 hours to eat before going to WMC. We were told not to worry and that there was plenty of time. Our group of 5 ordered a couple of starters which included underripe melon.
The main course was served at 10 to 7 !! This was after my husband had threatened to leave if no food was served within the next five minutes. We had to eat quickly in order to make it to the theatre.
But things went from bad to worse when my rib-eye steak was uneatable. I could not hack through the fat and sinew in order to get any meat. After complaining I had it taken off my bill. But of course had no time to order anything else.
Yes it was very busy but they must have been aware of this beforehand.
There are plenty of good eateries in Cardiff Bay. This is not one of them.

2  Thank stacey34
Vicky P, Public Relations Manager at Demiro's, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2014

Dear Stacey, firstly we would like to thank you for choosing to dine at Demiro's on your recent visit to Cardiff Bay - and are grateful for your feedback. We are disappointed, however, to hear that your dining experience with us did not meet our notoriously high standards and for this we send our utmost apologies. We are are also shocked to hear that the food did not live up to our usually exceptional standards - our head chef and his team prep and cook all dishes daily from scratch using the highest quality seasonal, sustainable and locally-sourced produce so please rest assured that this will be investigated further. The wait that you endured proper top your theatre visit is unacceptable - and, regardless of how busy our restaurant is, we are dedicated to providing the highest levels of service and would welcome the opportunity to prove this should you choose to dine with us again. Once again we would like to thank you for highlighting the areas that you felt did not meet your expectations and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed July 18, 2014

I will keep this short. I ordered a starter from the Spanish menu, garlic mushrooms with bread. For £3.95 I got a scattering of cold plain mushrooms on a slice of dry toasted bread. No hint of the garlic promised by the menu. I did get some salad leaves and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar (the tastiest thing on the plate I must say...). For my main I ordered a rack of lamb with veg and potatoes. This cost me £16.95, for this a received 4 pieces of lamb (mostly bone, but the meat I did get was lovely), some fried potatoes,carrots and green beans as well as a drop (literally) of gravy. What I had tasted nice and would have been good value had it cost half the price.

Overall I felt disappointed and ripped off and left the restaurant hungry. I'm not a massive eater nor do I crave stodgy food. Had I bee asked to pay half the price I would have been happy, but unfortunately I think this restaurant riles too heavily on the ambience of the place and not the food.

I will never eat here again nor will I recommend simply because it is overpriced.

1  Thank Matthew V

Dear Matthew, we are happy to hear that you chose to dine with us on your recent visit to Cardiff Bay and would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We are disappointed, however, to hear that your dining experience with us fell short of our notoriously high standards and for this we send our apologies. We are shocked to hear that the food did not live up to our usually exceptional standards - our head chef and his team prep and cook all dishes daily from scratch and our prices are in line with us sourcing the highest quality seasonal, sustainable and locally-sourced produce so please rest assured that this will be investigated further. We are committed to providing you with the very best dining experience in Cardiff Bay and we would welcome the opportunity to prove this should you choose to dine with us again. Once again we would like to thank you for highlighting the areas that you felt did not meet our high standards and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed July 17, 2014

We visited Demiro's before a play at the WMC, arriving at just before 5pm, having two comfortable hours until the doors opened on the theatre. The restaurant was busy, but had plenty of free tables. We were impressed with the menu and looking forward to the food - our order was taken very quickly. After half an hour we had to chase up the olives we had ordered to just nibble before the meal; not a great start really. After about 55 minutes we asked for an update on our meals, as did the table next to us. We were informed that there were 'problems in the kitchen' but nothing further - perhaps if there was a particular problem with an item ordered, this should have been advised and we could have changed our order. Within the next ten minutes, three tables around us were served their meals - these were customers who had sat down within the previous 20 minutes - some of which appeared to have ordered similar meals to us, so the 'problem' could not have been with our particular food choices. The waiter told us he would then chase up our meals as he had noted these other tables receiving their food - the manager then came over to apologise and offered us a complimentary drink. After 80 minutes my husband went in to say we were leaving - although we still had a little time before the theatre, we had to find somewhere else to eat beforehand, and felt we had waited enough. The manager was very apologetic at this time, took our address to send complimentary vouchers - these have not yet been received, but to be honest I am not sure I would even wish to return to use them and risk another excessive wait - I certainly would not return on a strict time scale. I will say that the Bay was particularly busy, being a graduation day, but if your kitchens cannot cope with the number of tables you have available, there is a problem. Was also not ideal that we had to keep asking about updates on our order, rather than a proactive response from the staff. So disappointed about such an anticipated meal - and to be fair, the other meals smelled lovely.

2  Thank JudithP8

Hi Judith, we are pleased to hear that you chose to dine with us on your recent visit to Cardiff Bay and would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We are constantly striving to exceed each and every one of our customer’s expectations – and are disappointed to hear that your dining experience with us fell short of our notoriously high standards. We would like to offer our apologies for the significant wait time on your food and can only assure you that this is not a usual occurrence at Demiro’s (as we're sure the manager highlighted). We are committed to providing you with the very best dining experience in Cardiff Bay and would welcome the opportunity to prove this should you choose to dine with us again. Rest assured that should you speak with manager Nick that your vouchers will be ready for you and once again we would like to thank you for highlighting the areas that you felt did not meet your expectations and look forward to seeing you again soon.