“lovely stay”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff
Ranked #10 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Stayed here Friday night with my wife for her birthday. It was a last minute booking via Late Rooms. We stayed on the 17th floor and had a bargain. Hotel is lovely and very quiet. Breakfast is a buffet and thoroughly recommended.

1  Thank martinrmn
Jens H, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2013

Thank you for your positive review about the hotel and our popular Super Breakfast Buffet.

I hope to see you again soon.

There are newer reviews for Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff

Reviewed May 18, 2013

Just arrived staying at hotel room 1312 business class upgrade.
We are attending a ball tonight at the hotel and had made a drinks pre order. I needed an invoice and were rude at reception when I asked and said events and meetings were nothing to do with reception and they were only concerned about giving us a room card. They eventually called someone to come down and meet us who then disappeared to get an invoice but never appeared back with one after us waiting in reception for 15 mins. You would have thought they could have arranged for one to be brought to the room.

The room does not have a mirror apart from the bathroom where you can't plug my wife's hair straightners in or sit and do her makeup. So I called down for one, again rude unhelpful staff that said we don't have mirrors use the one in the bathroom. "What about hair straightners"? I said, she replied ill try and get you an extension lead. The extension lead didn't turn up!
Room very tired and not very clean! Altogether rubbish! Good job my company is paying and not me!

Radlisson, get some service, get somome in reception that cares and sort your rooms out.

• Stayed: May 2013

Your review is concerning and does not reflect our level of service here at the hotel. Please accept my sincere apologies for not living up to your expectations. Our staff works to the highest standard of customer care. I will be investigating the points in your review with my staff.

Reviewed May 18, 2013

Very comfortable hotel - I've stayed their twice for conferences now and always found it excellent. Rooms are very comfortable; the beds might be a little soft for some. The reason that this didn't get a 5 rating is because I couldn't open any of the windows, so it was a bit on the stuffy side.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for writing such a positive review about your stay. I understand you point on not being able to open a window but we do have an excellent air condition system in our rooms that is perfect for regulating the temperature.

I very much hope you choose to stay with us again soon.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

i booked the radisson as birthday treat via Laterooms and got quite a good deal, £180 for 2 nights bed and breakfast. We were going to drive to Cardiff but as parking is limited and alternative is at John Lewis car park at £18 a night we decided to travel by coach.
we arrived to Cardiff at 2pm and the hotel checked us in an hour early, the receptionist was polite and prompt with booking in.
We stayed in room 912 on the 9th floor which was clean, modern and very comfortable.
Bed was kingsize and the comfiest bed i have slept in, room had desk and hard chair, wardrobes, safe, mini fridge, kettle and drink sachets comprising coffee, decaf, 5 different types of tea and hot chocolate, flat screen tv, arm chair amongst small adornments.
Bathroom was modern and very clean, few toiletry samples which were replaced daily.
we had view of main street and only downside was there were no opening windows as i like some air, although Air-con was available.
the bar was expensive but its what you expect at this type of hotel, bar meals again expensive but well worth the money.
Breakfast was amazing, a wide variation of foods from cereals, toast, fresh uncut bread, muffins,pastries, fruits, yogurts, continental breakfast and hot foods. every type of fruit juice you could want, only quibble was orange juice had bits in (i said i was fussy!). The waiting staff were very friendly and attentive and couldnt do enough for you.
the hotel was quite busy but it never showed in anyway as staff worked so hard to please everyone, the hotel was a little noisy at night but to be expected.
during the weekend we visited Barry Island, the home of Gavin and Stacey not great deal there anymore but enjoyable. spent some time shopping in Cardiff town and quite expensive and lots of designer shops....quickly catching up with London
All in all it was a brilliant weekend and would definitely recommend the Radisson Blu and will no doubt be revisiting again

Room Tip: go for room on higher floor as best views around
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Jens H, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

I am delighted you enjoyed your room and the comfy bed. It is also great that you mention all the amenities available in the room and I do hope you were able to use many of them during your stay.

I appreciate your feedback on not having a window to open but as you have mentioned we have an air-con system that will maintain the perfect room temperature you require. I also understand your comments on our bar and restaurant prices. We work hard to offer a competitive city centre menu that offers value for money.

Thank you for recommending us and I very much look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

Changes to the company preferred hotels in Cardiff (the Hilton having been removed) found me staying at the Radisson Blue for one night. I am a member of the older "GoldPointsPlus" loyalty scheme, but have now been moved over to the newer "Club Carlson" following this stay.

On arrival I pulled up to the car park and was given the access code by reception. I really like this idea, as you are then guaranteed a parking spot at the hotel all night if you wish to come and go - as I did to visit family nearby. Whilst car parking is not cheap it is only slightly more than self parking overnight nearby, and you have the added benefit of being able to access the vehicle from the hotel if needed. There is a lift direct to the car park (no steps) at the rear of the hotel.

Once at reception, annoyingly a few steps down from the car park level, check in was handled quickly and efficiently. I was given a room towards the rear of the hotel, close to the rear lift. The room was well sized, had ample space for my needs and a comfortable bed with a mattress topper fitted.

The bathroom was a good size - with enough room for a separate shower cubicle, sadly it didn't have one, only an over the bath type. Plenty of hot water and pressure, a good full size bath and a glass shower screen.

Back in the room there was a work desk with power and enough room to work. The TV had multiple channels available, but I did not get to investigate these as I did not have the time on this visit.

Breakfast had been pre-paid on arrival at check-in and a voucher had been issued. After a short wait for a table (it was around 08:15 when I arrived and quite busy) I found a good selection of hot and cold options available. The "communal" jam and marmalade pots were less than appealing compared with the single serving pots or sachets at other nearby hotels asking a similar price for their breakfast.

Checkout was fast and efficient, and having the car inside the hotel car park was most helpful considering the heavy rain falling outside.

All in all: a good nights’ rest, good car parking (but if they are full when you arrive you will have to use the nearby, and possibly less secure, public options), a mostly good breakfast and friendly helpful staff - all in a fairly modern building - one that has minimal "character", but well within expectations.

Its location is a little out of the town centre, but this does have less traffic noise as a benefit; not so good if you are planning to go out-on-the-town walking, and I'm not sure how bad the noise would be if you had a room looking out the front of the hotel on one of the lower floors?

If I’m back in Cardiff I would certainly consider this an option for an overnight stay or two. The lack of a pool or other leisure facilities at the hotel would make me consider staying elsewhere for longer than this.

Room Tip: Higher floor, away from the front if you like quiet IMO.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for signing up to the newer Club Carlson scheme on your visit. You will really appreciate the extra benefits from the scheme. Your detailed comments on parking will be very useful for other guests who plan to use their car during their stay. There is also a number of other travel options such as a nearby train station that many guests use as an alternative.

Thank you also for your very detailed review of your room and bathroom. I’m glad you appreciated the space offered and the quality of the room and I understand you point on there being room for a separate shower cubicle. I hope this did not cause any inconvenience.

I am delighted you chose our Super Breakfast Buffet to start your day. It is very popular with our guest so I hope there was not too much delay in being seated. I also understand you point on having single serving pots of jam and marmalade. I will discuss this with my breakfast staff to see what improvements can be made to our service.

I am slightly surprised by your comment on the hotel not being a little out of the town centre. Almost all of our guests choose to stay with us as we are so close to the centre of town.

You review is very detailed and I’m sure many TripAdvisor users and future guest will find it very helpful so thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts and experience. I have understood your comments on areas of improvement and these will be discussed by my staff.

I very much hope you choose to stay with us again soon.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

I booked this room as a treat night away, my boyfriend is working just outside of Cardiff for a few weeks, neither of us had been to Cardiff before.

Booking over the phone with Diego was simple and easy, he was helpful, friendly and efficient.

I arrived at the hotel at 12 noon to find the room was ready, so we were checked in promptly by John Lee, who again, was very hospitable. The hotel is only 450m from the Central train station, incredibly easy to find and central.

Had booked a Business Class room and wasn't disappointed. Views from the 21st floor were lovely from the corner room (two sides were windows). The room was made up beautifully and nice little touches like the coffee machine, toiletries and dressing gown. We were also given two drinks vouchers to use at the bar on the first floor, which was thoughtful.

Breakfast in bed was another treat and did not disappoint, we didn't need lunch and everything was of good quality and delivered at the time requested.

Only one small niggle, there were some dark hairs on the bed linen when we arrived, but other than that, the room was spotless and well maintained.

The staff we encountered from start to finish were friendly, warm and helpful. It is a shame we were only staying one night, as could've happily stayed for longer.

Hoping I need another reason to stay in a Radisson Blu again in the near future, was a pleasure.

Room Tip: Top floor - level 21 if you book a business class room.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your first trip to Cardiff. I am delighted my staff were able to assist you efficiently and with a friendly personality. We really do have a wonderful team here at the hotel.

I am delighted we were able to get you checked in to your Business Class room straight away and I am pleased you appreciated the excellent room view. We offer the drinks vouchers as a welcome to our guests. We want everyone to have a wonderful stay so we do anything we can to help make our guests feel relaxed. We really are very proud of our breakfast here and breakfast in bed sounds even better.

Our staff work to the highest standards possible so your comment on the bed linen is disappointing.
I am though so pleased that you enjoyed our friendly staff throughout your stay and I do hope that you will be able to stay longer should you be in Cardiff again soon.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Arrived to be upgraded to business class. There was hair on the pillows and air conditioning unit hanging out causing it to rattle. I booked a double room with a kingsize bed but was given a 2 single beds strapped together which I didn't notice a first but only when we came back from our night out so just went to bed. These were by far the most uncomfortable beds I have ever slept in I ended up only getting a few hours sleep not being helped by curtains that don't keep the light out. I ended up complaining at 7am about the beds saying I booked a double room with a kingsize bed and not a twin and from Johnlee on reception I got a response that they strap them together so tight they become like one mattress. What a load of rubbish! I didn't want a upgrade I just wanted what I booked a decent bed for my girlfriend and me not leaving with my back aching from rotten sunken single beds trying to passed off as 1. So rather than apologise for not giving me what I booked he blamed housekeeping for not strapping the beds well enough, there was nothing anyone could have done to make those beds comfortable. I then went for breakfast which was ok but my coffee mug was dirty and there was brown slime in the milk jug. Come on get the basics right! So then checked out and left

Although we had a great night out in Cardiff and would come back just not this hotel, its a shame we left with no sleep and a back ache

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

The experience of our guests is everything and it appears on this occasion we did not meet the high standards we set and the standards you expect. As you have mentioned we provided you with an upgraded room and it is so disappointing to read you did not enjoy the new room. I am surprised to read you found the bed uncomfortable but I do appreciate your feedback. Your feedback on breakfast is also surprising. We are very proud of our breakfast here are Radisson Blu Cardiff but I will be discussing your comments with me staff to insure this is an area of our service that is improved further.