“Great building but badly managed” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Meridian Terrace Serviced Apartments

Meridian Terrace Serviced Apartments
Ranked #23 of 42 Specialty Lodging in Cardiff
Vancouver, Canada
“Great building but badly managed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

I had not received the door code prior to my trip and because I had been travelling, I was not worried because its said that 'reception' would be open during the time I was due to arrive. Don't make the same mistake as me; although there is a reception desk in the lobby, this is never manned and the 'reception' is in the management office. After several phone calls, someone called me back to give me the door and safe code. The apartment was perfect for my needs as far as size and layout and locations (fabulous view towards Cardiff Bay) but I had to go and find a maid because there were no towels (or iron & hairdryer which I had specifically requested). I also went out to buy some cleaning supplies as it was obvious no-one had stayed in the unit for a while and it had not been cleaned since. All of the above was no problem to me at all but not ideal; my main problem came later that night. At 10pm I realised the patio door did not lock, please understand that I realise I was on the 6th floor and the balcony was not connected to another one but as a single female in a strange city, I personally wanted the door to lock for my peace of mind. I called the emergency number but no-one returned my call. I went on a tour the next day so did not have chance to call again until the afternoon of next day (friday of a long weekend). After leaving 2 messages someone called me back at 6pm and told me nothing could be done to fix the lock at this time of day on a Friday - my argument was that they had all day to fix it from my phone call at 10pm the previous night and I was told that this wasn't an emergency so the phone call was ignored. I was then offered another room but by this time, I had cleaned the apartment, filled the fridge with groceries and hung up all my clothes in the closet...I had no intention of moving rooms so she said the only option was a full refund and I could find somewhere else to stay (at 6pm on the Friday of a long weekend). Why couldn't they just fix the lock??!! Don't let this review put you off this hotel because the location is great and the rooms are great but learn from my experience and make sure you are very clear about what you expect before you show up; there will be no help once you're already there.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
michellebrownmax, General Manager at Meridian Terrace Serviced Apartments, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Thank you for your feedback on your stay at Max Apartments Cardiff. We work hard to ensure all of our guests enjoy their time with us and I am sorry that you encountered some problems during your stay with us. The access codes are emailed to guests in advance of their stay and if you did not receive this I apologize. The issues that you raised have been looked into and addressed and in future I can assure you that should you return and we hope that you will you will see the high standards that we normally provide for our guests.
We are proud of our city centre locations and apartment benefits and we look forward to welcoming you back soon. Thank you for choosing MAX.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Had the access code and safe code texted to me the day before so need to speak to any staff throughout the weekend.

I'd booked a studio with a double bed and ended up with a one-bed apartment. Very clean, although there was a slight odour of cooking. There was noise from the train during the day when the main lounge window was fully opened, less so when the bedroom window was open.

Definitely more suited to stags/hens/rugby supporters but will suit most

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your positive feedback on your stay at Max Apartments Cardiff. We work hard to ensure all guests enjoy their time with us we are proud of our city centre locations and apartment benefits as an alternative to hotels for families, couples and single travellers both corporate and leisure. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Thank you for choosing MAX.
Ipswich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

I found my studio apartment exactly as anticipated, and clean and comfortable. Reception were very quick to respond to a couple of requests for service, and to help with one small problem. I did find it hard to spot the entrance, and I think it would be helpful to advise people coming from the railway station to go past the front of the Radisson, rather than looking for something on the road junction.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your feedback on your stay at Max Apartments Cardiff. We work hard to ensure all guests enjoy their time with us and we are proud of our city centre locations and apartment benefits. Thank you also for the positive comments on the customer service you received from our front of house team
We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Thank you for choosing MAX.
Chepstow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

This flat was shabby, dirty and neglected. There was mould all over the bathroom, including on the walls. Several things didn't work properly or were completely broken: the toaster, some electric sockets, the TV, a dining chair, The towels and sheets were thin and stained and didn't smell fresh, a cover on one of the beds actually had mud on it. The curtains were thin and shabby, the carpets and rugs were worn. The paintwork was yellowing and scuffed. The utensils and pans weren't clean - I could go on.

The apartment also failed miserably in delivering the most important aspect of staying away from home which is a good night's sleep. The mattress was uncomfortable and you could feel the springs poking through which led to little sleep and awful backache which did not help when attending a two day conference.

The use of the words 'luxury' and 'executive' to describe this flat is laughable.

Even worse than all this, though, The 24 hour number ignored our phone calls.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Cardiff hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

myself and husband booked a weekend break to cardiff and stayed in the apartments, we arrived at 6 we had to wait for two hour as had no access information to gain entry to the building the supposed 24 hour contact number would not pick up so we waited in reception for almost two hours. Finally we managed to get into our apartment which was filthy the toilet had poo in it and the kitchen sink and fridge were vile the apartments besides being filty are also very run down the bathroom had one working spotlight the kitchen had no working spotlights the walls were chiped with all sorts of dirty stains!! we decided go to tesco to buy products to clean the apartment it was disgusting there were piles of smelly laundry in the hall we actually took pictures as we could not beleive it! i would highly recommend that anyone thinking of booking avoid as it truly ruined our weekend!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank suzy1234567
Thurles, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

Stayed for the jubilee weekend. Apartments are excellent value for money ! Fully fitted kitchen, underfloor heating, separate bedroom, great value for money. flight wasn't till 7 on the Monday evening and staff let us store luggage away till we needed to get our train. great location, near bars, shops, etc,

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends