“A non-standard gem”
Review of Caban Cardiff

Caban Cardiff
Ranked #109 of 1,225 Restaurants in Cardiff
Cuisines: Contemporary, International
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Canteen on Clifton Street in Cardiff is a fun and lively restaurant with fresh and inspiring fare. The down-to-earth dining room, with tiled floors and wood-panelled walls, is well-known for its vegetarian-based menu, and is the perfect place for dinners and parties with friends who are vegans, vegetarians and/or omnivores. The kitchen at Canteen on Clifton Street takes inspiration from Mexican and Mediterranean traditions, and the menu changes every fortnight. Favourite dishes include the Arabian spiced lamb with cardamom, pistachio and apricot rice; curried parsnip and mango soup; Lebanese spinach parcels with carrot and beetroot salad; and their famous vegan sticky toffee pudding. The chefs at Canteen are also happy to create bespoke meals.
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
“A non-standard gem”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Booked a table for four which consisted of 3 meat eaters but everyone opted for the vegetarian choices. I usually have to ask for tap water in restaurants, so it was a welcome surprise when we were given a jug of iced water soon after being seated.

We ordered 3 different main courses, and when the food arrived you could see why the menu is limited. The focus is on producing good food using fresh produce (quality) not loads of different dishes using processed/frozen foods (quantity), allowing you to taste and savour each mouthful.

The waiter was very pleasant, but he could have done with some more training on how to wait tables as he whipped away my plate without checking with me whether I had finished. (I got up from my seat to let someone out, there was still food on my plate and the cutlery wasn't placed in the "finished" position.)

I read that the menu changes often, which is a shame as the risotto was amazing! However I'm sure that I'll be able to find something else which is just as good.

1 Thank Viv790

Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Superb food, great service and nicely hidden”
Reviewed March 28, 2014

I went with my friends to experience something new and we were not disappointed! The food and service was top class! Don't judge this place by its cover as else you will miss out on the lovely range of goodies inside!

2 Thank Ozswain
“Great gluten free eatery”
Reviewed March 20, 2014

Loved this place. A little rustic, but what it lacked in style was made up by the food. A great fixed menu (17.50 for 3 courses) which catered for both my coeliac partner and my dairy intolerance.

I would highly recommend this place, but book as you wont be able to get in if you don't

Visited March 2014
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“A true gem hidden in a place you wouldn't expect”
Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

I have been to the canteen quite a few times now and save for a few regulars (banana chimichangas are a particular favourite) the menu is constantly changing.

Every meal I have had had been inventive and extremely tasty and made from a nice selection of fresh produce. The food is complemented by a well chosen selection of (often local) wines and beers.

It is great value for money (around £17) and excellent for me (vege) and my partner (non vege) to enjoy a meal together.

cardiff,wales
“Surprise find.”
Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

It is a canteen.. No frills sort if place but with welcoming enthusiastic staff who clearly love to use good ingredients to make good dishes. We were a party of vegan and meat eaters and the limited menu suited us all and I chose to have the 3 course menu. For main I had cawl.. Not my usual sort of choice but very tasty and lots of lamb. This was served with a spiced crusty bread. Sticky toffee pudding, good sized portion very nice!
Wine has limited choice of a red, white and rose but you can bring your own and pay corkage.
Good find in a less affluent area of Cardiff so would always drive there or get a taxi. Definitely go back.

Visited March 2014