“Comfortable stay”

Village Hotel Cardiff
Ranked #18 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed January 7, 2014

During a trip to Cardiff, we were looking for something conveniently located so that we could meet friends. This hotel was ideal. Situated just off the M4 off of the famous Coryton roundabout, we found a comfortable and clean hotel. There is a bar and separate restaurant downstairs where my wife ate. She enjoyed the food and it was reasonably priced. The place was busy with Christmas parties but there really wasn't much noise upstairs once you got to the bedrooms which were clean and well-appointed.

Check in and out was friendly and easy.

As a pointer for those wanting to know what's around them, there is an Asda supermarket and McDonald's within a two minute walk, handy if you've forgotten something during your stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 5, 2014

What a hotei,sports facilities and accomadation are first class.After a new facelift it has made visits more pleasurable and worth while.King sized rooms are a lot bigger than standard and are priced the same.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 31, 2013

We stayed here for two nights to attend a friends wedding. We booked a few months ago to get a better rate as part of the wedding party which was £79 per night. I didn't think that was too bad as one of the nights was New Years Eve. However, when we had checked the website on the day of our arrival to get directions, we noticed they had a two for one offer. However, when we checked in and pointed this out, they said we were on the wedding rate so couldn't change.

As for the room, it was basic but clean. The one real niggle was that the room was really, really dark! There were only side lights and no main light. Breakfast was ok, typical buffet style. Would have preferred a Premier Inn!

Reviewed December 31, 2013

I have family in Cardiff who I visit often. I usually stay at a Premier Inn but as it was Christmas I thought I'd stay somewhere a little more 'up market' but I will never make that sorry decision again! We stayed December 27-30th. Our check in was swift and the staff were helpful in explaining all we needed to know. When we go the the room, we were disappointed to find that it was not as clean as you'd expect: there where crisp crumbs on the floor all around the bed. The bed was comfy despite the very thin quilt but the hotel room itself was warm so another blanket wouldn't have been necessary.

The breakfast buffet had a very limited choice and the staff struggled to manage the number of guests dining, with long queues to get tables; food, crockery and glassware running out with long waits to be replenished and the world's slowest toast machine. The food was average at best with undercooked sausages and bacon, solid scrabbled eggs and lukewarm mushrooms: the baked beans were good but I'd be amazed if they could ruin beans!

I have had consistently better stays at Premier Inn where their good night guarantee has ensured we have always had a peaceful night. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for this hotel. On Saturday, we were kept awake until 1am with music blasting out from the wedding taking place in the function room below.

On the whole, we had an average stay at a basic hotel. Stay here, by all means, but don't make the mistake I did by assuming it was a step up from Premier Inn, Travel Lodge and such like.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

We stayed here 23rd to 27th December to visit family in the city. Check in was rapid and problem free. All information was given in a non rushed manner. So, up to our room. Perfect, spotlessly clean, at the rear of the hotel, very quiet. Towels changed daily as was the room cleaning. My one and only small gripe was the bathroom tiles grouting below the bath could do with a clean. Victory pub we used once, very busy but the staff worked hard to serve as quick as possible, prices in line with other hotels. Breakfast was first class, cereals, fruit, full English all freshly cooked and very hot. Waiting staff very cheerful and genuinely happy to help. Front desk staff went above and beyond, one day I needed to reinflate my cars tyres, I told my Wife to make her way up to the room whilst I did this, Gavin on the desk asked where I was, my Wife told him and he offered his help with my task! BRILLIANT! Sadly we did not use any of the other facilities such as gym or pool but they were even open on Christmas day. We will be returning, all of the staff are a credit to DeVere. (one thing DeVere, get those potholes at the entrance fixed)

Reviewed December 27, 2013

Christmas Day Lunch at Vinny & Vitos for our family of 11 was very disappointing. The soup was grainy.Garlic bread for the children was awful dry and hard with large slices of garlic on top served with a balsamic dip. A chef who couldn't carve a turkey and small portions which consisted of little bits of Turkey served with one tiny pig in a blanket. Inedible stuffing and hard vegtables, peas with undercooked bacon, boiled potatos so dry I didnt even try them with water disguised as gravy. Three of our party had pre ordered beef which was not ready, by the time theirs was cooked everyone else had finished eating. Not acceptable as a family we wanted to eat together. Santa failed to materialise to see the children, they had to be taken to another part of the hotel to find him. The gifts were inappropriate being gambling sets. The 50th birthday cake I delivered in perfect condition was damaged by the time it was brought to the table. Extortionate cost for two bottles of Moet. We wont be returning. Thanks Village Hotel for ruining a special occasion! !

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank hug61
Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed at this hotel on a hen weekend & thought it was very good value for money. We enjoyed 2 spa treatments, D,B&B for a very reasonable price. The food was excellent, staff very welcoming, and despite there being a Christmas party there on our first night it was still nice and quiet. Would definitely recommend

• Stayed: November 2013