“Nothing special but not bad”

Village Hotel Cardiff
Ranked #18 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Stayed here on a very hot weekend.
Room was an upper deck room which was really tastefully decorated and clean, but air con would have been very welcome.

Breakfast was lovely, even sat out on the terrace one morning. Well organised, staff were efficient and friendly, plenty of food and choice. Also had dinner in Vinny and Vitos (which used to be the Verve) early bird menu is excellent value and both food and service were very good.
Bar was overpriced as it is in all Village hotels for some reason.

Basically does what it says on the tin, clean, comfy, good service ans good food but slowly morphing into a budget chain

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
DGM_Cardiff, Manager at Village Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Dear Guest,

thank you for your recent review of De Vere Village Urban Resort Cardiff.

I'm please that overall you enjoyed your stay, and that you found Vinny + Vito's in particular to be a great experience.

With extensive leisure facilities, a full service restaurant and pub, upper deck bedrooms, a full service spa, and extensive meeting and event rooms, I have to disagree that we are anything like a budget chain. However perhaps on your return to us, you could experience all that we have to offer and give us a second opinion?

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

We have just returned from staying a few nights at this hotel and overall we had a great experience. Our room was spacious, comfortable and clean. It had everything we needed and i must say probably the best hairdryer i have ever had in a hotel room (much appreciated when you have long, thick hair!). The rooms don't have air con, but leaving the windows open cooled our room off a little. Check in was efficient, if a little robotic, but the receptionist told us everything we needed to know. We used the pool during our stay aswell as the steam room and jacuzzi. There were lots of children in the pool and also swimming lessons taking place, which occupied one of the lanes, but this wasn't an issue for us. On one of our nights we ate in Vinny & Vito's, the hotel restaurant and had a fab meal. The food is a tad expensive, but the portions are huge! Joe served us and he was extremely knowledgeable and enthusiastic. Throughout the rest of our stay we ate externally - it was easy to get out and about with a car. Must say the majority of staff were fab, but the Victory Pub staff really stood out - except for one lady who had just come back to work after holiday and was moaning left, right and centre. Breakfast was great - a little hectic as they seem to struggle for space and they have had a lot of conference/business guests there this week. We noted on a few occasions that different staff members seated guests on already occupied tables - maybe they should try setting tables with upturned mugs and then putting them the right way up when they seated someone - this could save a lot of embarrassment. Otherwise, this hotel seems to run smoothly and great to see all of the FOH departments helping each other out!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

thank you very much for your recent review of De Vere Village Urban Resort Cardiff.

I'm absolutely delighted that overall you enjoyed your stay with us, and have shared your feedback with the team.

Glad you enjoyed dinner, and I have spoken to Joe to thank him for the great service that you received.

Thanks for your tip on breakfast, we are working hard to improve the consistency of our breakfast service, and will definitely take your comments on board!

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future,

kind regards

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Just spent a night there with our Grandson who is 11 years old and a very proficient swimmer. The times during which he could swim in their pool made it all but impossible for him to do so. They also insisted that he be accompanied by an adult despite the fact that he can probably out-swim many of their club members.

We had a family room which was certainly large enough but hot. This was July 2013. There is no air conditioning in their rooms. We could open the window but we were adjacent to the motorway so it was very noisy.

Family room = more than 2 people. Why then were there only 2 mugs on the tea/coffee tray ( and one of those was chipped on the rim ).

We ate in the bar which was OK...just OK. The menu for the Italian Restaurant was limited and expensive.

Overall, disappointing.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
DGM_Cardiff, Manager at Village Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Dear guest,

thank you for your recent review of De Vere Village Urban Resort Cardiff.

I'm disappointed that certain aspects of your stay were not up to your expectations, and please rest assured your feedback has been shared with the team.

Our children swim times are clearly posted throughout the hotel and on the company website, and while I appreciate that your grandson is undoubtedly a proficient swimmer, we can not necessarily guarantee this to be the case for all 11 year-olds and as a result for the safety of the children must insist that they are accompanied by an adult.

Thank you for your feedback regarding the housekeeping issues you encountered, i have shared those with the housekeeping manager, and think you make a valid point about the Family room provisions.

I was disappointed to read that you felt Vinny and Vito's Italian Kitchen was expensive, we offer 20 main course dishes for under £10 and the majority of the rest of our menu is under £14, however we will take your feedback on board.

I hope you may chose to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Stayed here for one night and the hotel was very nice. Great room, nice lobby and excellent food in the restaurant.

The reception staff were fantastic, really went out of their way to make sure we were comfortable and enjoyed our stay. Cant rate them highly enough.

If I am in Cardiff again I will definitely stay here.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Dear guest,

many thanks for the review of your recent stay at De Vere Village Urban Resort Cardiff.

We're delighted that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay, and look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

I booked this hotel on a dinner, bed and breakfast deal for my partner's 30th birthday. The weekend wasn't cheap so I had high expectations. I emailed back and forth with the hotel weeks before arrival to arrange for a birthday cake and balloons to be put in our room for arrival as the weekend was a surprise birthday trip. It was arranged for an extra £15 that a cake with a message iced on it and balloons will be in our room. When we arrived, my partner went straight to the spa as I had a massage booked, I checked in and our room was empty. I asked at reception where the receptionist checked with her colleague. 'This lady reckons she should have cake and balloons in her room' she said right in front of me. Anyway, she said she'd deal with it. A tiny, badly iced cake arrived to my room with 2 balloons. It was hideous and tasted like butter. An absolute disaster which was a waste of money.

The spa staff were lovely and very friendly.We had to keep pushing the appointment back as we were stuck in bad traffic and they were very accommodating and helpfull. I was extremely disappointed that I had booked a massage based on the information I received from a receptionist that I would receive a voucher to get a 55 min massage half price. This was incorrect information. I was told during the massage there was no voucher so this was another cost I wasn't happy with.

Our upperdeck room was nice but it was very hot with no air conditioning. It was too noisy outside to have the window open. Lots of loud drunks outside the bar. On the second night, we were able to get a fan for the room which made a big difference.

The Italian restaurant was dirty. The cutlery was minging! We had a dinner deal which meant 3 courses for two people from a special menu. They gave us the correct menu after 10 mins or us looking at the wrong one. The food wasn't good.

We ate in the bar and grill the second night which was much better.

Breakfast was meh. The cooked food was drowning in oil. The poor staff were extremely stressed so breakfast as a whole felt rushed on both mornings. Tables were left in a mess for a long time. Larger table were half cleared up for smaller parties rather than completely cleared away.

The pool was the best part. Although we only went in once but it was quiet and refreshing.

I'm not sure I would go there again. I felt that my highly organised weekend was let down by the hotel. It was way too expensive for such small things to be of poor quality. I think if you are going to stay there, lower your expectations to that of a slightly better Premier Inn.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Its OK here - nothing special. The staff are OKish, a little cold and not really that welcoming but they get stuff done.

The rooms are OK but need a refurb but they are very overpriced. Paid £90 for a double with no aircon which was really like a bad Premier Inn room.

Breakfast is terrible, a small table with a toaster on and a few hot things under a heat lamp. And they definitely want to you leave the room at 10:30!

Nice having a full Starbucks in reception though.

It seems like all the money is going on the pool and spa so use it if you are going to stay here.

Interesting to read the responses of the management up to now which don't seem to really address any issues. They just seem to say, Hope you enjoy it next time, or, our other guests seem to like it here.

Lets see what this one gets!

Room Tip: Not in the 500 or 600 range. This is an annex which is miles away from reception and needs a number...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
DGM_Cardiff, Manager at Village Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at De Vere Village Urban resort Cardiff.

I'm disappointed that overall the stay did not reach your levels of expectation. As per other reviews on this site, we generally get excellent feedback regarding our staff, so I am naturally disappointed that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion.

Our breakfast buffet consists of a full range of cereals, fresh cut fruit, pastries, tea, coffee and toast and a hot buffet including bacon, sausage, fried and scrambled eggs, beans, mushrooms and black pudding. We also offer a range of yoghurts and berries as an option.

It is difficult for me to understand your feedback regarding the items on the breakfast buffet, however please don't hesitate to contact me directly on simon.green@village-hotels.com where I’d be happy to discuss this with you further.

We have recently conducted a full refurbishment of our restaurant, and 20 of our bedrooms have been upgraded to Upper Deck rooms and we do endeavour to ensure that all aspects of the hotel are kept to the highest standard possible.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Dear member of the public I would like you to know that I will never stay in the village Hotels ever again. This Hotel has the most appalling house keeping standards ( and house keeper ) Please see photos where mattresses have been urinated on and marked towels are used, and the head house keeper says this is OK because they use mattress covers !!!
Dishes in restaurant NOT RINSED for 6 days after complaining to General Manager.
Leisure centre very dirty To say the least.
Italian Restaurant lower than average.
The Village hotel in Maidstone Kent also very bad with stained mattresses, but even more appalling they switch off the air extraction in the hotel for most of the time to save energy,when I complained to the environmental healt they sayeid they could NOT do anything because " no one has died yet "

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
DGM_Cardiff, Manager at Village Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2013

Dear Guest,

thank you for your further feedback.

I'm disappointed that we could not come to a more satisfactory resolution regarding the issues you encountered during your stay.

Upon being presented with the substandard mattress, we did replace it immediately with a new and unblemished one, however I note that you neglected to mention this in your review.

I also acknowledge that on the day that you bought to my attention that your plate was not clean, I quickly rectified the issue, by hand plating your breakfast for you and delivering it to your table.

Unfortunately, despite a significantly discounted rate, and our best efforts to resolve the many, many issues you drew to my attention during your stay, we were unable to leave you satisfied; however your feedback has been taken on board.