“Nice hotel, fantastic staff!”

Village Hotel Cardiff
Ranked #16 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
East Kilbride
“Nice hotel, fantastic staff!”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Stayed here for one night and the hotel was very nice. Great room, nice lobby and excellent food in the restaurant.

The reception staff were fantastic, really went out of their way to make sure we were comfortable and enjoyed our stay. Cant rate them highly enough.

If I am in Cardiff again I will definitely stay here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
DGM_Cardiff, Manager at Village Hotel Cardiff, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear guest,

many thanks for the review of your recent stay at De Vere Village Urban Resort Cardiff.

We're delighted that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay, and look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us again in the future.

DGM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I booked this hotel on a dinner, bed and breakfast deal for my partner's 30th birthday. The weekend wasn't cheap so I had high expectations. I emailed back and forth with the hotel weeks before arrival to arrange for a birthday cake and balloons to be put in our room for arrival as the weekend was a surprise birthday trip. It was arranged for an extra £15 that a cake with a message iced on it and balloons will be in our room. When we arrived, my partner went straight to the spa as I had a massage booked, I checked in and our room was empty. I asked at reception where the receptionist checked with her colleague. 'This lady reckons she should have cake and balloons in her room' she said right in front of me. Anyway, she said she'd deal with it. A tiny, badly iced cake arrived to my room with 2 balloons. It was hideous and tasted like butter. An absolute disaster which was a waste of money.

The spa staff were lovely and very friendly.We had to keep pushing the appointment back as we were stuck in bad traffic and they were very accommodating and helpfull. I was extremely disappointed that I had booked a massage based on the information I received from a receptionist that I would receive a voucher to get a 55 min massage half price. This was incorrect information. I was told during the massage there was no voucher so this was another cost I wasn't happy with.

Our upperdeck room was nice but it was very hot with no air conditioning. It was too noisy outside to have the window open. Lots of loud drunks outside the bar. On the second night, we were able to get a fan for the room which made a big difference.

The Italian restaurant was dirty. The cutlery was minging! We had a dinner deal which meant 3 courses for two people from a special menu. They gave us the correct menu after 10 mins or us looking at the wrong one. The food wasn't good.

We ate in the bar and grill the second night which was much better.

Breakfast was meh. The cooked food was drowning in oil. The poor staff were extremely stressed so breakfast as a whole felt rushed on both mornings. Tables were left in a mess for a long time. Larger table were half cleared up for smaller parties rather than completely cleared away.

The pool was the best part. Although we only went in once but it was quiet and refreshing.

I'm not sure I would go there again. I felt that my highly organised weekend was let down by the hotel. It was way too expensive for such small things to be of poor quality. I think if you are going to stay there, lower your expectations to that of a slightly better Premier Inn.

Manchester UK
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Its OK here - nothing special. The staff are OKish, a little cold and not really that welcoming but they get stuff done.

The rooms are OK but need a refurb but they are very overpriced. Paid £90 for a double with no aircon which was really like a bad Premier Inn room.

Breakfast is terrible, a small table with a toaster on and a few hot things under a heat lamp. And they definitely want to you leave the room at 10:30!

Nice having a full Starbucks in reception though.

It seems like all the money is going on the pool and spa so use it if you are going to stay here.

Interesting to read the responses of the management up to now which don't seem to really address any issues. They just seem to say, Hope you enjoy it next time, or, our other guests seem to like it here.

Lets see what this one gets!

Room Tip: Not in the 500 or 600 range. This is an annex which is miles away from reception and needs a number...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
DGM_Cardiff, Manager at Village Hotel Cardiff, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at De Vere Village Urban resort Cardiff.

I'm disappointed that overall the stay did not reach your levels of expectation. As per other reviews on this site, we generally get excellent feedback regarding our staff, so I am naturally disappointed that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion.

Our breakfast buffet consists of a full range of cereals, fresh cut fruit, pastries, tea, coffee and toast and a hot buffet including bacon, sausage, fried and scrambled eggs, beans, mushrooms and black pudding. We also offer a range of yoghurts and berries as an option.

It is difficult for me to understand your feedback regarding the items on the breakfast buffet, however please don't hesitate to contact me directly on simon.green@village-hotels.com where I’d be happy to discuss this with you further.

We have recently conducted a full refurbishment of our restaurant, and 20 of our bedrooms have been upgraded to Upper Deck rooms and we do endeavour to ensure that all aspects of the hotel are kept to the highest standard possible.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Northolt, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Dear member of the public I would like you to know that I will never stay in the village Hotels ever again. This Hotel has the most appalling house keeping standards ( and house keeper ) Please see photos where mattresses have been urinated on and marked towels are used, and the head house keeper says this is OK because they use mattress covers !!!
Dishes in restaurant NOT RINSED for 6 days after complaining to General Manager.
Leisure centre very dirty To say the least.
Italian Restaurant lower than average.
The Village hotel in Maidstone Kent also very bad with stained mattresses, but even more appalling they switch off the air extraction in the hotel for most of the time to save energy,when I complained to the environmental healt they sayeid they could NOT do anything because " no one has died yet "

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
DGM_Cardiff, Manager at Village Hotel Cardiff, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

thank you for your further feedback.

I'm disappointed that we could not come to a more satisfactory resolution regarding the issues you encountered during your stay.

Upon being presented with the substandard mattress, we did replace it immediately with a new and unblemished one, however I note that you neglected to mention this in your review.

I also acknowledge that on the day that you bought to my attention that your plate was not clean, I quickly rectified the issue, by hand plating your breakfast for you and delivering it to your table.

Unfortunately, despite a significantly discounted rate, and our best efforts to resolve the many, many issues you drew to my attention during your stay, we were unable to leave you satisfied; however your feedback has been taken on board.

Derbyshire, UK.
Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was easy to find and had plenty of parking. The hotel was very busy when we arrived on a Friday night. Booking in was slow but the receptionist was helpful. The family room was large and pleasant enough but did need refurbishing and the bathroom was in a poor state of repair (mouldy seals and a huge crack in the sink - couldn't believe they had actually booked the room out without trying to repair the sink.) The rooms have no air conditioning and were warm.

A pleasant breakfast . Not a huge choice but nicely done.

We ate in the Italian. The pizza base was awful and lacked salt. We also had to query the bill as they had us on the more expensive deal...otherwise it was good service.

The swimming pool was excellent and had lots of equipment for the children.

The location was good for Cardiff centre and getting around. Generally helpful staff.

1 Thank JoWilson
Dear Jo,

thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at De Vere Village Urban Resort Cardiff.

I am in the process of investigating your comments regarding the cracked sink, and apologise that this room was let to you with this fault.

I'm glad you enjoyed other aspects of the hotel, such as reception, breakfast and the leisure facilities.

I have discussed your feedback regarding your evening meal with Chef and we have taken this on board, please accept my apologies that it was not to your parties liking.

We hope to be able to welcome you and your family back to the hotel on future occasions.

kind regards

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

I visited The Village Hotel on business and stayed in an Upper Deck room for one night. Excellent free car parking, plenty of spaces. The reception staff were excellent and extremely professional and attentive. I arrived at 3pm and unfortunately my room was not ready, however, I enjoyed a coffee at the Starbucks Coffee Shop in the hotel and my room was ready by 3.25. The room was clean and comfortable. The decor is rather dark and there was only a small window. I stayed at the hotel during extremely warm weather and the room was very warm and there was no air conditioning. After telephoning reception, I was provided with a fan which arrived within minutes. Unfortunately, my room was above the main entrance which made it very noisy until 2am with people sitting outside and others arriving and leaving the hotel. The hotel is also very close to a motorway and therefore quite noisy as my window was open due to the warm weather. Due to the noise and heat I did not sleep very well, however, we are expending extraordinary high temperatures at the moment.
The bathroom was standard and had everything I required with nice toiletries. The bed was comfortable and the availability of Sky TV and free wifi Internet access was excellent and easy to use. I had room service from The Italian restaurant at the hotel and my evening meal was really nice, it arrived promptly, was warm and very tasty.
The complementary Starbucks coffee was nice, however, there was no fridge and the bottled water was therefore warm.
In general, this was a nice but standard room and I don't think the coffee and toiletries make it 'upper deck'.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

thank you for your recent review of De Vere Village Urban Resort Cardiff.

Thank you for your kind comments about your check in and star bucks experience. I'm sorry that your sleep was not ideal, as you mentioned we are experiencing abnormally warm weather at the moment!

The full sky package, upgraded bedding, Starbucks coffee and toiletries are all aspects of our Upperdeck experience, and I’m sorry that on this occasion you did not find them to your satisfaction, as we generally get very good feedback about these rooms.

However, we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the future, to enjoy the other facilities that we have to offer.

kind regards

Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in hotel before a meeting. The room was clean and comfortable and the wifi was reliable and fast. They have an excellent pool. The staff in all parts of the hotel could not have been nicer. They were all courteous and efficient. Colour scheme of their carpets is a bit hard on the eye but otherwise a very good hotel.

Dear guest,

thank you for your recent review of De Vere Village Urban Resort Cardiff.

I'm delighted that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay at the hotel, and especially pleased that you found the team to be courteous and efficient.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future