“Great Cardiff location”

Village Hotel Cardiff
Ranked #19 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Just spent another great weekend at the Village hotel Cardiff , we like this hotel as it has great spa facilities and car parking on site f.o.c.

The hotel is situated around 4 miles outside the city but is served well by frequent buses that stop right outside and costs £3 return each, so getting into Cardiff is simple.

the hotel is very nice and well run, and has an excellent pub and restaurant , the rooms are nice and modern , and this time we upgraded to the upper deck rooms which were extra nice !

We had a little problem in the restaurant on the 1st night where my wine and an extra veg portion we had ordered was not received we asked a couple of times to no avail, so at the end we complained to the original server who was very apologetic and offered us the bottle of wine which we had and a pudding complimentary! so in fairness she addressed our problem fairly .

We look forward to going back here again in future.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
DGM_Cardiff, Manager at Village Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

Dear guest,

thank you for your great feedback about the hotel.

I'm sorry that you expeirenced an issue in the restaurant, but I'm really pleased that your waitress made everything right for you.

And you are absolutely right about going into the city. Parking is expensive, so a quick bus or taxi ride from our hotel leaves you free to enjoy all that Cardiff has to offer!

We look forward to welcoming you back soon,

DGM

Write a ReviewReviews (2,802)

Reviewed March 18, 2013

We found the hotel very pleasant, and (unlike some other reviewers) had a quiet room for a good night's sleep. Can I suggest trying to get a room in the newer part of the hotel, somewhere along the row that includes Room 613 (the room we had) which is at the back? The room was well designed, spacious, scrupulously clean - what a pleasure to have a comfortable sofa to sit on, too.

The signage in the hotel is more than a little eccentric - we got lost several times (as did many others) between the "old" and "new" (two different lift systems, it seems). But that's a little niggle, really.

Breakfast was great, with plenty of choice. The staff were welcoming, helpful and courteous despite the fact that it was "the" rugby weekend of the Six Nations and the place was heaving. We would certainly return for another stay.

Plaudits, too, to the very pleasant lady taxi driver who bought us back from a heaving Cardiff after the game. I believe the company name is Dragon Taxis. Excellent service.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Dear Patricia,

thank you for the feedback regarding your stay during the recent 6 nations weekend.

I must say, the atmosphere in the hotel and throughout the city was electric!

I'm glad you enjoyed the aspects of your stay which you mentioned, and have shared this feedback with the team.

Not sure if the result was to your liking, but I'm delighted that our hotel was.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Stayed here one night in March 2013. Room was fine with usual facilities, free wi fi throughout the hotel, and a really good buffet breakfast. Good value for money and staff very helpful.
Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the hotel,

you are quite right to point out that our great location off the M4 sets us apart from many of the other hotels in Cardiff, where parking is either expensive, or non-existent.

We hope to see you back at the hotel again in the future, and look forward to more feedback

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Stayed at this hotel the night before England v Wales. The hotel is nice enough, pretty bulk standard rooms, however the service was excellent the staff went far beyond the expected.

As we arrived there was a birthday party on, when we got to our first floor room it was clear it would be noisy, so we went to reception and without any fuss they apologized and moved us away from the noise to a big family room (not sure what would have happened if they were busy though).

We were having trouble with our car that broke down the night before and so we had to hire a car and were having some trouble with that also. The staff were fantastic and understanding and helped us get things sorted out, they went out of their way, were polite and understanding.

Compliments to De vere - we have always found their staff to be exceptional - Premier Inn could take a leaf out of their book.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
DGM_Cardiff, Manager at Village Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2013

Dear guest,

thank you for your review of the hotel, I'm glad you received the Excellent service that we strive for.

We always do our best to control noisy guests, however your course of action was absolutely right, we are happy to move guests, or contact noisy guest should the need arise, but too often, guests choose to wait until the morning to take action.

We have a very big focus on offering "more" service at the hotel, and when guests need a hand we do our absolute utmost to assist where ever possible.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Although the facilities for the hotel are OK, the rooms themselves are extremely noisy. There is very little sound proofing in between the rooms. In my room, I could hear the gentleman next door talking on the phone, plugging something in, his TV and his snoring.
There was also significant traffic noise from the two main roads outside.

Furthermore, I have stayed in Village hotels before, although not for a while. I think that the level of service that they offer has deteriorated. Breakfast this morning: I went downstairs at 9:15, and it took 10 minutes before I saw a member of staff to seat me. I was then told that as breakfast closes at 9:30, there was no hot food. Not a single table was clean, and I had to sit at a table which was dirty.

All in all, not a hotel that I'll rush back to

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank SW17Traveller

Dear Guest,

I'm sorry to hear that your stay with us was not up to our usual standards.

I must say, I was surprised to read that you were kept awake by traffic, as the hotel is situated quite a distance from any main road.

I do feel that your breakfast experience was not typical, and that you may have been in the restuarant at the end of an unnusally busy period of time. We are however working hard to raise the standard of our breakfast experience during these peak times, to ensure it is consistant throughout.

I hope that should you be coming to Cardiff again in the future, you will give us another try.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

I don't normally write reviews but feel I must after reading the bad reviews people had written. This is the second time I have stayed at this hotel... First time with friends and second with my husband both times were fantastic. This time we stayed in a standard double room which was perfect for what we needed! The room was modern and clean, the bed was comfortable with a choice of pillows. The bathroom was good and the shower was powerful and hot water was always available.
Every member of staff we came across were so polite and helpful made us feel very comfortable.
We stayed on a deal with dinner on the first night and breakfast both mornings. The dinner is a set menu in the verve restaurant however we didn't fancy any of that so they let us have an allowance to eat in the victory pub, we had a 3 course dinner and everything was lovely. They do recommend booking in advance. Breakfast is a buffet with a choice of cereals, yogurt, fruit, pastries and English breakfast all was lovely.
The swimming pool is a large size with jacuzzis in the pool and separate one which is much warmer, there is also a sauna, steam room, loungers and tables round the pool. The pool area and changing rooms were clean and they provide towels. There is also a gym but I can't comment as we didn't use this.
The location of the hotel is about 5 miles out of cardiff so you can't walk but its only a £10 taxi ride or short drive which we didn't find a problem at all.
Overall we had a lovely weekend staying here and I would definatley recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2013

Dear Guest,

thank you for your lovely feedback regarding the hotel, we hope that you will keep on coming back to the hotel, and bringing friends and family with you each time you do!

just as a note, our new Vinny and Vito's Italian Restaurant will be opening in May, to provide you with even more dining choice, hope to see you there!

Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

I only stayed in the hotel overnight and decided after my last really bad village hotel experience I would give them another go. This hotel was better than the last one I stayed in, but as some reviews had said the rooms were a little dated and not very nice. I decided to pay an extra £20 to upgrade to the newly refurbished rooms. I think it was a bit of a waste of money. The beds are not as comfortable as the ones at the premier inn's, the room was dirty in places and we went swimming in the day the changing rooms were dirty . They obviously have problems with the cleaning staff. I will not be giving the village chain another go !!!

• Stayed: March 2013

Dear guest,

thank you for drawing the issues you experienced in your bedroom to our attention, I have discussed this with our Housekeeping Manager, and work is under way to ensure that these issues, no matter how small, are irradicated.

We are having our Leisure rooms refurbished over the Summer, of course, this is no excuse for poor levels of cleanliness that you experienced, and we always endeavour to ensure that a high level of cleanliness is maintained at all times.

I hope you do give us another try in the future, and look forward to any feedback you may be able to provide.