“Very good hotel great for M4”

Village Hotel Cardiff
Ranked #18 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Stayed here one night in March 2013. Room was fine with usual facilities, free wi fi throughout the hotel, and a really good buffet breakfast. Good value for money and staff very helpful.
Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
DGM_Cardiff, Manager at Village Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

Dear Guest,

thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the hotel,

you are quite right to point out that our great location off the M4 sets us apart from many of the other hotels in Cardiff, where parking is either expensive, or non-existent.

We hope to see you back at the hotel again in the future, and look forward to more feedback

There are newer reviews for Village Hotel Cardiff

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Stayed at this hotel the night before England v Wales. The hotel is nice enough, pretty bulk standard rooms, however the service was excellent the staff went far beyond the expected.

As we arrived there was a birthday party on, when we got to our first floor room it was clear it would be noisy, so we went to reception and without any fuss they apologized and moved us away from the noise to a big family room (not sure what would have happened if they were busy though).

We were having trouble with our car that broke down the night before and so we had to hire a car and were having some trouble with that also. The staff were fantastic and understanding and helped us get things sorted out, they went out of their way, were polite and understanding.

Compliments to De vere - we have always found their staff to be exceptional - Premier Inn could take a leaf out of their book.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
DGM_Cardiff, Manager at Village Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2013

Dear guest,

thank you for your review of the hotel, I'm glad you received the Excellent service that we strive for.

We always do our best to control noisy guests, however your course of action was absolutely right, we are happy to move guests, or contact noisy guest should the need arise, but too often, guests choose to wait until the morning to take action.

We have a very big focus on offering "more" service at the hotel, and when guests need a hand we do our absolute utmost to assist where ever possible.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Although the facilities for the hotel are OK, the rooms themselves are extremely noisy. There is very little sound proofing in between the rooms. In my room, I could hear the gentleman next door talking on the phone, plugging something in, his TV and his snoring.
There was also significant traffic noise from the two main roads outside.

Furthermore, I have stayed in Village hotels before, although not for a while. I think that the level of service that they offer has deteriorated. Breakfast this morning: I went downstairs at 9:15, and it took 10 minutes before I saw a member of staff to seat me. I was then told that as breakfast closes at 9:30, there was no hot food. Not a single table was clean, and I had to sit at a table which was dirty.

All in all, not a hotel that I'll rush back to

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank SW17Traveller

Dear Guest,

I'm sorry to hear that your stay with us was not up to our usual standards.

I must say, I was surprised to read that you were kept awake by traffic, as the hotel is situated quite a distance from any main road.

I do feel that your breakfast experience was not typical, and that you may have been in the restuarant at the end of an unnusally busy period of time. We are however working hard to raise the standard of our breakfast experience during these peak times, to ensure it is consistant throughout.

I hope that should you be coming to Cardiff again in the future, you will give us another try.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

I don't normally write reviews but feel I must after reading the bad reviews people had written. This is the second time I have stayed at this hotel... First time with friends and second with my husband both times were fantastic. This time we stayed in a standard double room which was perfect for what we needed! The room was modern and clean, the bed was comfortable with a choice of pillows. The bathroom was good and the shower was powerful and hot water was always available.
Every member of staff we came across were so polite and helpful made us feel very comfortable.
We stayed on a deal with dinner on the first night and breakfast both mornings. The dinner is a set menu in the verve restaurant however we didn't fancy any of that so they let us have an allowance to eat in the victory pub, we had a 3 course dinner and everything was lovely. They do recommend booking in advance. Breakfast is a buffet with a choice of cereals, yogurt, fruit, pastries and English breakfast all was lovely.
The swimming pool is a large size with jacuzzis in the pool and separate one which is much warmer, there is also a sauna, steam room, loungers and tables round the pool. The pool area and changing rooms were clean and they provide towels. There is also a gym but I can't comment as we didn't use this.
The location of the hotel is about 5 miles out of cardiff so you can't walk but its only a £10 taxi ride or short drive which we didn't find a problem at all.
Overall we had a lovely weekend staying here and I would definatley recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2013

Dear Guest,

thank you for your lovely feedback regarding the hotel, we hope that you will keep on coming back to the hotel, and bringing friends and family with you each time you do!

just as a note, our new Vinny and Vito's Italian Restaurant will be opening in May, to provide you with even more dining choice, hope to see you there!

Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

I only stayed in the hotel overnight and decided after my last really bad village hotel experience I would give them another go. This hotel was better than the last one I stayed in, but as some reviews had said the rooms were a little dated and not very nice. I decided to pay an extra £20 to upgrade to the newly refurbished rooms. I think it was a bit of a waste of money. The beds are not as comfortable as the ones at the premier inn's, the room was dirty in places and we went swimming in the day the changing rooms were dirty . They obviously have problems with the cleaning staff. I will not be giving the village chain another go !!!

• Stayed: March 2013

Dear guest,

thank you for drawing the issues you experienced in your bedroom to our attention, I have discussed this with our Housekeeping Manager, and work is under way to ensure that these issues, no matter how small, are irradicated.

We are having our Leisure rooms refurbished over the Summer, of course, this is no excuse for poor levels of cleanliness that you experienced, and we always endeavour to ensure that a high level of cleanliness is maintained at all times.

I hope you do give us another try in the future, and look forward to any feedback you may be able to provide.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

Paid for the weekend deal £29 stay with a meal in the Verve restaurant.
Staff were very friendly on arrival. Room was more than adequate. Nicely decorated.

Arrived for a meal at the Verve, and seated in a timely professional manner.
On arrival we thought the deal involved a bottle of wine with our meal. After waiting a while to see if this was the case, the restaurant manager (im assuming) informed us it wasnt. Bit confused we mentioned when booking the nights stay, it did state the bottle of wine, which he then stated it had finished yesterday!

From that point on, both my wife and I felt like we were treated like lower class citizens. Even after telling us the wine wasnt included he made no attempt to take any drinks order. When we asked him, he said it wasnt for him to take it, it was the servers

We did not feel welcome at all in the restaurant. When our food arrived, NO one asked if our food was ok or not throughout our meal. He only asked as we left.

The food was fine even though the sticky toffee pudding was more like a nut surprise

The individual running the restaurant that night was a disgrace and we were very close to walking out. If we hadnt already paid we would have.

Hotel fine. Bar area vibrant and relaxed.
Disappionting that one individual tried to ruin our evening

1  Thank Rue14

Dear Guest,

I'm glad that overall you found the hotel to be vibrant and friendly.

Of course, I am disapointed to learn that your dinner experience was not to the standard we expect, however I am pleased to say we are taking significant stepas to improve in relation to this.

We will be opening our brand new Vinny and Vito's Restaurant in May, that will feature an exciting italian style menu, great value for money and lots of fun. We are undertaking extensive training of our team during this time, to ensure that every guest that dines with us has a fantastic experience.

I hopethat next time you are in Cardiff, and you will get the opportunity to try V+V's out for yourself.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Stayed at here this weekend, paid extra for the Upper Deck room after falling for the sales pitch.

On arriving, we were looking forward to sampling the Starbucks coffee in our room, which turned out to be a few sachets of starbucks instant coffee with a few standard milk pods. There was a biscotti for us to share between us though, to make up for the disappointment!

The 'pinchable toiletries' were a joke, if you had anything left over in the tiny bottles or the sugar cubed size bar of soap after your stay then you obviously hadnt used them!

We asked as Reception what we were paying extra for as our room was tiny, we could have booked a 'king' room for £10 less. Apparently, the sheets were Egyptian cotton, (presumably they are substandard in other rooms?) we had sky movies and a bose docking station at our disposal, as well as the one biscotti (which I was told was standard) and the 'starbucks coffee'. We were told Upper Deck rooms were all about Luxury, ha!

So, our 'luxury' room was the size of a shoe box, had a shower that trickled water out, a broken bathroom door that wouldnt lock or even close properly, mould around the bath/shower and loose taps on the sink.

The bottom line is, dont bother paying the extra money and book yourself either a standard double or king.

Breakfast was plentyful, and we were seated immediately. There was lots of choice of cereals, toast etc, as well as full english, this could not be better.

The Hotel bar was really nice but a little expensive, £3.50 for a pint and £4.30 for a bottle of Peroni, The offered a good range of bar food

Dear Guest,

thank you for your feedback followign your recent stay with us, I'm pleased that you enjoyed the victory Pub and Breakfast during your stay.

Our Upperdeck rooms feature great bedding, with feather duvets and egyptian cotton sheets (most hotels carry regular sheets, that are not as soft and comfortable), an upgraded Bose speaker dock, a range of designer toileteries, and of course the Starbucks products, as well as Full Sky TV (inlcuding Sports and Movies).

I'm sorry that you didn't find these benefits to your liking, our UpperDeck rooms are very popular and the feedback we get is that for just twenty pounds extra the upgrade is great value.

We also offer great value in the pub too, hand drawn guest ales start at just 2.50 a pint, and we do a great deal on Thursdays where you can get a bottle of Wandering Bear Rose for just 12.50 or 6 bottles of budweiser for 15.00.

I hope we will see you back with us in the future, so you can see and take advantage of all the great benefits we have to offer.

Kind Regards