“Nice hotel but some strange features”

Sleeperz Hotel Cardiff
Ranked #23 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Stayed in a twin room, was tiny but good for a few nights. There is a lovely view, good breakfast and the beds are extremely comfy. However they have tried to hard to make it look funky and modern, for example the bathroom door is made of frosted glass and the toilet is situated right behind the door. So when someone is sat down the other person can see. Surely they should have thought that if people were staying in a twin room with bunk beds and not comfortable sleeping next to each other in a double bed, then they're not going to be comfortable with a frosted glass door! Also as it is frosted glass there is no lock. The shower is a wet room which means the entire bathroom gets wet when someone takes a shower. If you shower in the evening it will be fine again in the morning but until then your feet will get if you need to go to the toilet! The only mirrors were in the bathroom near the ceiling so if you're short like me you can't see in them! Also it means you can't look in the mirror whilst doing drying/straightening your hair. Despite this it's a good hotel and in a great location.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
GeneralManager1969, Owner at Sleeperz Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

Thanks for your review. I thought you would like to know that we have listened to our guests and decided that privacy is more important than the funky design. We’ve added an obscure film to the frosting on the bathroom glass doors making them completely non-see through. The first floor has already been completed and the rest of the hotel should be done by the end of February.
Kind regards

There are newer reviews for Sleeperz Hotel Cardiff

Reviewed January 22, 2013

We booked in as we were coming by train and wanted somewhere close to the station as we had an early return home in the morning. The receptionist was very efficient and we had room 209. We went up in the lift and as you come out there's a fire door opposite with 209 on it. It took us a couple of minutes to work out that we had to access the room via this door - reception lady didn't tell us - but I think it reduced the noise from the corridor from other guests.
The room was very smart, bright colours and contemporay design and very clean. The bathroom was located on the left hand side of the room behind an angled wall with a frosted glass sliding door. This is where my dislike of the room design begins. Despite being with my husband for 17 years - and I'm sure this would be the same for ANYONE else - we REALLY DID NOT need to be able to see each other on the loo, albeit in a hazy 'cataract affected' way. I sincerely hope that the moron who came up with this idea is pointlessly breaking rocks in the middle of nowhere as punishment.
Would I stay here again? Give me a room with a REAL door and I'd book straight away but other than that someone else will get my money. Sleeperz - sort this and you r customers will stay more than once.

Room Tip: Rooms ending in '5' overlook the railway station at the end of the corridor. Rooms ending in...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Kind regards

Reviewed January 17, 2013

Greeted by helpful friendly young ladies.
Room small but perfectly form with lots of space saving gizmos.
Tea and coffee in room.
Tasted self service selection in the morning.

I really liked this place, clean and function. I went to a gig and this hotel was perfect for access to the centre and train station. I would happily book if I was taking the missus too.

Great VFM too!

Highly recomend.

Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Not necessary - all good.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We booked two rooms at the last minute, got to Cardiff and couldnt stay with a friend so needed somewhere quick. This was convenient as it is right next door to the train station and the city. The rooms were small but perfectly fine for us. The shower was a wet room which seemed to flood the area around the toilet but as we were only there one night I didnt mind. One thing I found odd was the toilet door was opposite the bed so when I wanted to use the loo my room mate could see me on the loo (the door is frosted but you can see enough!).
This was all fine but the worst part was the fire alarm going off in the middle of the night. We all went downstairs but the staff didnt explain what was going on and talked among themselves. I heard another person say something about someone smoking in their room but we got no explaination when we started to go back to our rooms.
Overall it is cheapish and the staff when we booked in were nice. I wouldnt recommend this place for more than one night but if you need something near the station it is next door.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Stayed at the hotel for the weekend, we travelled by train and were surprised how close it was to the station, really handy! Our room itself was quite compact however it had everything we were needing! Great city centre location close to the pubs / clubs, restaurants etc. Would definately return to this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Spent the night here prior to early departure from station with luggage. Very good location, close to town / library with free Internet for flight check in. Easy walk to John Lewis & restaurants for dinner, and to St David's Hall for pre trip performance. Would recommend. Friendly and helpful staff on reception.

Room Tip: We went for large double room - plenty of space, even with three suitcases
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

Booked in by work . Location very handy for station and shopping centres. Staff very helpful and room ready before booking in time. Room small but had everything needed for a short stay. Clean and modern but showing signs of a little wear and tear here and there. Only minor complaint was the heating was operated by the room key so it did mean the room was chilly for quite a bit. The heating is by an aircon unit so it is a bit noisy. The compact bathroom/ wet room was modern and the shower hot and with decent pressure. Gel and soap are provided by dispensers . In the downstairs reception. is a nice seating area and bar and the breakfast is a help yourself buffet with ample choice. They offer a range of evening meals but we headed out elsewhere. Overall I would have no hesitation in recommending or staying at the Sleeperz again.

• Stayed: December 2012