“Fabulous! That's all I can say”
Review of The Italian Way

The Italian Way
Reserve with OpenTable
The Italian Way is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #210 of 1,217 Restaurants in Cardiff
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
wales
“Fabulous! That's all I can say”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Have recently been to other restaurants in Cardiff with my colleagues from work. they were fine but I always want to be in the Italian Way. Have been there may times and am never disappointed. The staff are welcoming, the food is great. Being able to bring your own wine and the atmosphere makes you feel so comfortable. There is never any pressure to leave. It is always full so to feel like you are the only group of people there is a feat. They accommodated a large group of us for one visit and was happy to move the tables around so we could all be sat at the one table. Will always be my first choice for great food, great service and great service.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank fiftysomething27

Cardiff, United Kingdom
“lovely local italian, family run”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

With all the modern gimmicky chain restaurants it's easy to forget how great a local family-run Italian can be. I've been to this traditional Italian with work colleagues several times over the last year. They have always accommodated us well, be it a small group or a larger group for a special occasion. The food is reasonably priced and has always been of a very good quality. We have particularly enjoyed the chicken dishes. And, of course, it has always been a benefit to be able to take our own wine.
The place is always buzzing with loyal local customers. Great atmosphere.
Hope to be back again soon!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank srkcardiff
“Certainly worth a visit!!”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

This was my second visit to The Italian Way and overall it's okay. There were four of us eating and we were eating on a Saturday evening. Both times Ive been it is jam packed so its clearly a popular restaurant. If its Italian themed like "Mamma Knows Best" you're after then this is your place. I was half expecting the puppets from the Domino advert to come and take our order.

There's shrubbery and all sorts hanging from the ceiling, lots of hustle and bustle and a great atmosphere. Its not the place to have a quiet conversation as people are usually in good spirits there. Possibly due to the fact that you can take your own wine. (No beer though). The waitress will bring a wine cooler but only when prompted but they're quick to take your coats which is a god send as everyone is seated quite close together....but not on each others laps.

I like to browse a menu online before I go (sad, I know) and I have to say I wasnt totally thrilled with what was on offer. On the day I ordered off the specials which was the seafood linguini. This was lovely but I found it a little expensive at £14.95 (for pasta at the end of the day) but I was happy with my meal. I had the calamari to start which was.....okay.

There are paper napkins on the tables and I think it could step up a gear if the table was.....well it just looks a bit cheap. However by the time you've filled it with your BYO wine and lit the table centre candle then its okay.

Service was slow and it took us a while to get our bill but I guess there was no rush to clear the table to get the next lot in so take from that what you will.

No doubt Ill be going again as there's a great atmosphere, food is....only okay and its BYO. I can see why this place is well loved though and Id certainly suggest you go there. If I could Id give it 3.5/5 but I cant so Ive gone with 4/5 as Im in a good mood.

Ciao!!

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Lowri21
cardiff,wales
“cant fault it”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

A crowd of us went there for my 50th birthday last Saturday. We had booked for 29 people and were given a set menu to pre-order which was fairly limited but aftyer speaking with Lena more dishes were added on no problem. The staff on the night were really helpful, offering to put the wine we had bought in the fridge, service was quick and the food was spot on with generous portions. They even put a flare in my birthday cake and served it with great flair. All in all couldn't fault the place.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank alymic
London
“Tried Next Door And Came back”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I went there once a week or so over a four month period. This is a reasonably priced, good, small familly run restaurant with what looked like different staff in the kitchen on different evenings. I think you have to be 'selective' on what you choose from the menu becasue you know the food has come from Tescos over the road and I would guess the chef's are not dedicated professionals who can create thier own signature dishes - but you dont go there for that sort of meal and it was good 'home' cooking with good portions.
I wouldn't like to be there there if a large party turned up becasuse they would struggle.
I did detect that the staff spent a little more time with the locals but why not - as it is a place you would like to use regularly if you lived nearby. I certainly found the staff nice and helpful at The Italian Way. I did try La Lucca next door once. I was on my own and the lady insisted I sat in the draughty reception area rather than in the main dining area - where there were tables for four. It was 9.00pm midweek so they were hardly expecting a rush, so I went back to The Italian Way.
Bring you own wine without corkage charge is a bonus which of course increases with the party size.

• Visited December 2012