“Perfect food and service”

Laguna Kitchen & Bar
Ranked #72 of 1,262 Restaurants in Cardiff
Cuisines: European
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: City Centre
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We stayed at the hotel and decided to have an uncomplicated friday evening by having dinner at the hotel restaurant - what a suprise! The quality of the food and service was excellent - just what you would expect from a 5 star restaurant- all delivered in a very relaxed setting. We could see the serving area from our seats and the chefs just looked totally in control and calm. This was the best way to start a chill -out week-end in Cardiff.The welsh lamb was delicious and exceptionally good value for money. Friday's meal was so good we decided to have sunday lunch at the restaurant before we left Cardiff- another good choice - the sunday roast Welsh beef was excellent. George , our waiter had an eye for detail, remembered our drinks from the previous evening and had a dry sense of humour- what a lovely way to end our stay in Cardiff.

There are newer reviews for Laguna Kitchen & Bar

Reviewed March 5, 2013

Myself and my partner went out for a special evening and the waiting team provided us with the special evening we had hoped for. They were quick, efficient and seemed actually interested in ensuring we had the best evening we could. We even asked for some advice on where to go after the meal and they were more than happy to assist.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

Had a really lovely meal saturday night the service was absolutely brilliant and it was a breath of fresh air to visit a restaurant where the staff really seemed to care. The restaurant manager Jordan did everything to make sure we had a fabulous night so a big thank you to him. Looking forward to my next visit.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Visited restaurant for Sunday Lunch and although the food was once again excellent, the service was poor.

We ordered drinks in the bar beforehand and when they called us for our table, they didn't offer to carry the wine to our table, we has to juggle coats, glasses and wine cooler.

The service was average with dirty empty glasses left on the table, not once we asked if food was okay, our wine glasess were not topped up, and the water we requested didn't arrive. We had to ask a waiter to clean our table.

Our waitress was abrupt and not very friendly. The Maitre'd, also looked scruffy and unkemped.

As I said at the beginning the food was excellent but the service sloppy!

ParkPlazaCardiff, Manager at Laguna Kitchen & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

I was disappointed to read your comments and I am sorry to read that you found our service was not up to are usual high standard. The Laguna Kitchen and Bar has won the ‘Echo South Wales Restaurant of the Year 2012’ and we were highly commended for the ‘Best Service in South Wales 2013’ and this is why it is a disappointment for us to read your recent review.

I also apologise if you found certain members of our staff to be unhelpful, I can assure you we take all complaints of this nature very seriously and your feedback will be discussed and addressed with our restaurant team as a matter of urgency.

On an infinitely more positive note, I am delighted to read that you enjoyed our Sunday lunch and that you found our food to be of an excellent standard and I will be passing your gracious comments on to our team of chefs.

Jordan Lewis
Restaurant Manager

Reviewed March 2, 2013

First impressions were not good,my husband and i were greeted by a rather grumpy waitress who told me that we had'nt turned up on time so we would have take whatever table was left (a crap table right by the door and noisy bar with everyone passing us!) I had booked the table a week in advance as we were staying at the Park Plaza and on arrival had asked to make the table later and was told that would be fine so did'nt expect there to be a problem.After complaining to said waitress and 2 receptionists we were eventually given a decent table by the restaurant manager after about half an hour of waiting.The food was very hit and miss, to start I had artichoke soup which was nice,my husband waited fifteen minutes for one scallop! As you can imagine he was'nt best pleased by this point as we were both quite hungry,we then had duck and plaice both lovely,we then had the worst dessert ever,apple tarte tatin that we had waited half an hour for and was'nt even cooked properly,soggy pastry and uncooked apples,the waiter was mortified so gave us free espressos although I do think it should have been taken off the bill,needless to say we will not be going back and unfortunately ruined my husbands birthday treat.

ParkPlazaCardiff, Manager at Laguna Kitchen & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to review your recent experience at the Laguna Kitchen and Bar. I would like to apologise that on this occasion we provided you and your husband with a disappointing service and I am very embarrassed to read your comments.

I do apologise on behalf of myself and my team for not informing you of the wait required for your starter and dessert. Our scallop starter and Tarte Tatin dessert are both popular among our customers and are both baked to order which allows us to keep our food at its highest quality as we do value ourselves on the freshness of ingredients used in all our dishes.

I am exceptionally embarrassed at the way in which your booking was handled and for the unprofessional communication from the Front Office Team on check in to my Restaurant Team when dining.

This wholly unsatisfactory episode, about which we could have handled better, has given a poor impression of our restaurant and on this occasion it seems we let ourselves down. I do hope we will be able to have the opportunity to fully restore your complete confidence in us in the not too distant future.

Jordan Lewis