“Stag”

NosDa Hostel & Bar
Armagh
“Stag”
Reviewed May 24, 2010

Stayed here for my stag from Friday 14th - Sunday 16th May 2010, had a great stay and loved Cardiff this place is in the ideal location is right beside the Millenium Stadium and is 5 minute walk from city centre!!

The facilities in the hostel are great, there is a bar, free wi-fi and they have a hammock to laze around in and if you can't get the hammock there is a few bean bag cushion seats to relax in........... never got to relax in them as we were always doing something, tho one of the guys did fall asleep in the hammock on the saturday night after a hard days drinking.

Would love to be back in Cardiff again and if i am there is only one place i'd be staying and that is NosDa Hostel, the staff were very friendly and helpful and the place was very clean also.......... can't recmmend this place enough to anyone who is looking for somewhere to stay in Cardiff.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank murphstar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Indonesian first
Dresden, Germany
Reviewed October 12, 2009

great location, recently redecorated rooms with tidy bathrooms en suite, nice bar, friendly staff, free and well-operating wifi, kitchen, huge breakfast,... and all that for quite small budget.

Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Göttingen
Reviewed September 28, 2009

First of all, there is no curfew so there will be someone to let you in after a jaunt to Cardiff's nightlife or a late arrival. Second, the door numbers and signs are nothing but stylishly projected light. OK, maybe not one of the main reasons to stay but it looks cool. Shower rooms ok but demand strategical placement of clothes in the shower cabin lest getting wet. Outside the keycard-accessible area (rooms, bathrooms, lounge, kitchen etc) the reception is attached to a bar with free wifi internet access and good continental breakfast being served in the morning. In the evening a good choice of cold and hot food as well as beverages is available and during a round of Pool there are lots of friendly fellow travellers to meet, including people who don't reside in the hostel! Reasonably priced, 7 mins to walk from Cardiff Central Station and a friendly international atmosphere. Ideal to discover Cardiff on a small budget.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
north carolina
Reviewed June 16, 2009

This was our second trip to the nosda. the first last year was wonderful and there was loads of work to be done (paint was peeling off the walls) but we just loved the location ,the staff ,the room ,and of course the pub. But this year we were so impressed with all the remodling that had been done we just kept repeating "this is so cool" it is updated with key card security threw out the building, the lighting is all triggered by motion in the halls and bathrooms,there is a new gym right in the building, new appliances for guest to cook and do laundry. sitting out having breakfast on the river across from the stadium in the morning and a pint in the afternoon is great. I could go on and on about the place but you just have to go and experience it yourself we will be returning next year and NOSDA will be our only place to stay in cardiff. WE JUST LOVED IT

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Alicante
Reviewed May 1, 2009

Good news - the NosDa seems to be completely refurbished now. To get to your rooom you need a key card and there are 3 doors to open so that security seems to be good as well.

Rooms are nice and completely new - I stayed in a 6-bed dorm - it was clean and airy.

Bathrooms are in the corridor (some rooms might be ensuite) but these are also new and hot water all day. Great location with coach and train station (Cardiff Central) about 6-7 minutes walk away.

Only downside was that the Wi-Fi didn't work but they have a couple of wired laptops there for customers to use free of charge.

I would certainly recommend staying there!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
Canada
Reviewed May 1, 2009

We have been traveling for 6 months and have stayed in dozens of hostels throughout the world and this was the one of the worst hostel experiences we have ever had.
This is just a typical run of the mill party hostel, obnoxious guests and overnight staff who seem to be more interested in having a good time then running a hotel. We were told by the night staff/bartender at 12:30am that the bar only stays open until 1:00am (the bar finally stopped at 6:30am). Some of our food that was in bags and labeled in the fridge was eaten by other hostel guests. The rest placed on the free food shelf in the fridge. When my wife went to the women’s washroom during the night she walked in on a drunk male, pants around his ankles, using the women’s toilet. The gym costs extra if you would like to use it. At the time we were there the washer and dryer were not hooked up. The only positive thing I can say is the day Assistant Mngr went out of her way to help us check (booked for 4 stayed one long sleepless night). When she found out that some of our food had been stolen she replaced some of it. If you are looking for a regular uninteresting hostel/bar for nothing but drinking, this is the perfect place. They even sell condoms in the kitchen vending machine if you are at stuck and in the mood. If you are looking for more of a “good night” after a long day, I would recommend finding another place to stay.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
UK
Reviewed September 7, 2008

I booked at NosDa as I was going to a cricket match in Cardiff. I tend to use backpackers and hostels for such trips, like concerts and sporting events as I'm usually on a budget and they're always fairly central.
Having read another review (not on TripAdvisor) about renovations that were going on, I emailed Nosda to ask how much, if any, inconvenience this may be. I received a reply very promptly telling me what part of the building they were renovating, so I was very happy with that.
I arrived at Nosda bang-on the 2 o'clock check-in time (bit mean of me I know, but the cricket was meant to start at 2.30!), and was checked in by a friendly girl who gave me a lot of information (I usually forget all of this information but hey). Downstairs at Nosda, ie the bar/restaurant/check-in bit has been refurbed and looks fantastic, as does outside - very modern and pretty chic.
I didn't eat at NosDa but did look at the menu and had a few drinks in the bar - no complaints whatsoever, and good to see the menu has a welsh version and they sell local drinks (even welsh whisky!)
The room was pretty basic, obviously, its a backpackers. One nice touch (though I don't know if it was deliberate) is that I had a 4-bed dorm all to myself - brilliant as I was staying there on my own and it was en-suite - and for less than £20 for the night thats pretty good! The room did badly need updating, but they have a plan of the refurb works in the bar - it's all getting refurbished, and when it does, in my opinion its going to be up there with the best backpackers in Europe!

• Liked — Price, location, service, free internet
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)