“Four not Five - down to service and price tag”

Thai House Restaurant
Ranked #145 of 1,214 Restaurants in Cardiff
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: City Centre
Wales
“Four not Five - down to service and price tag”
Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

The initial impression of this place was really good, we had a lovely welcome, and where quickly seated down.

We hadn't booked, it was a Wednesday evening, and it was relatively busy.

I was in a group of 6 and we decided to go for the fixed menu.

The quality of the food was good, and was plentiful, although I am not convinced it was worthy of the price tag though.

The desert was also very nice.

The waiter (or perhaps the owner) seemed to be tired, and rather dry - maybe we were having too much of a good time (we were well behaved) - I felt he wanted to get shot of us, nothing like the attitude of the 2 ladies who had greeted us initially.

I guess we all get bad days.

Would I eat here again? Yes I would, unless I find a Thai House that beats this one - watch this space, I'm on a mission.

Visited November 2013

Pontypool, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing thai food”
Reviewed November 9, 2013

I've only been here once. Impressions were very good. Nice décor. Lovely waitresses all in traditional thai dresses, a good start!
The menu was extensive but not ridiculous in it's options. We had a starter and a main course both of which were lovely. I had the steamed dumplings which were fab and my partner had the prawns wrapped in pastry things. All were tasty.
For main courses, she had a thai green curry which was absolutely stunning in my opinion. I love green curry and practically lived on it when I was in Thailand. I had the larb gai which is something I only had a couple of times when in Laos and I found to be one of the tastiest things I've ever eaten. It's minced chicken with coriander and mint and chilli, served at room temp. It's the first time I've seen it on a menu in this country and I was only disappointed with the portion size. The taste of it was fantastic and pretty much how I remember it. If they could just double the portion size of it for the price paid!
We didn't have dessert, but they picked up that it was my birthday whilst we were looking through the menu and they brought me out a little ice cream with a candle in it, which was very sweet of them and typical of thai hospitality. My only gripe is that they do the whole 'dimming the lights and blasting happy birthday through the speakers thing', which I don't like restaurants to do.

Apart from that, the food was excellent, the atmosphere and décor were great and the price....very good.

• Visited October 2013
Sydney, Australia
“Minimum charge policy and terrible meal”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We decided to eat here as a quick meal before departing Cardiff as it was near our hotel. Only when we sat down did we see on the information section of the menu that there is a minimim charge of €17.50 per person. Whilst we had only planned on getting a main course we then of course had to order a starter.

As started we ordered Spring Rolls, and they were ok, no complaints there, not great, not bad. For the main course I ordered a beef red curry and the beef was the worst I have ever tasted in my life, I couldn't even eat it, it was far too fat and chewy, and the red curry wasn't much better. My partner ordered a green curry chicken which seemed ok. The portions are quiet small also, although you they do provide you with larger than average rice portions.

Overall I would never visit this place again, their sneeky minimum charge policy per person is crazy, the staff were not so attentive (after asking for the bill I was left waiting for quiet some time before I decided to go up to the counter) and as mentioned before the beef is the worst quality I have ever had. There are much better places for a lot less in Cardiff

• Visited November 2013
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Quality Food and Beautiful surroundings!”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We went on a saturday night, having never been before. Were kindly greeted and sat down. Quick service, and nice to see the option of a set meal as well as full menu on a saturday (unusual in a lot of places), which helps you if you aren't a thai food connoisseur! Fresh quality and lovely service. Recommendations inlcude the Pad Thai Noodles, Crying Tiger Sirloin and the trout Thai green curry!

• Visited November 2013
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Not the place it used to be!”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We've been going to the Thai House for the last 10 years and had some fantastic food and some first class service. However our latest experience on Friday was so disappointing. Our starters were wrong and then our mains were wrong. One of our starters, the tempura vegetables which we love had 2 mange tout and the rest were mushrooms. Might as well rename it tempura mushrooms. Our mains came out incorrect and poorly seasoned. We had pad thai with a generous "3 prawns"! My main was house speciality cod with broccoli. I have never tried this before but the dish could only be compared to bad baby food. Over cooked cod and mush broccoli being over powered with lemon grass. Whilst the food was disappointing, the service was simply shocking. Offered drinks at the start of the meal and nothing else. No apology for the wrong starter and wrong main course. In fact we had the waitress suggest it was us that got things wrong and we had actually ordered the incorrect food. To be honest we simply got ignored for the rest of our meal. In the end we hadn't finished our mains and we decided to pay the bill and leave. This is something we have never done in any restaurant. This is the first trip advisor I have ever written which I hope highlights my disappointment.

Would I recommend people go to the Thai House? One hundred percentage yes if it's the place we used to go.... If Friday is the new Thai House, stay in and get a takeaway.

• Visited October 2013