“You blew your final chance Maenllwyd! This time the food was good but the service was diabolical!!”
Review of Maenllwyd Inn

Maenllwyd Inn
Ranked #4 of 93 Restaurants in Caerphilly
Cuisines: British, Brew Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed May 6, 2014

I once visited the Maenllwyd on a regular basis but unfortunately a year or so ago I had a series of poor quality meals. An area manager contacted me to gauge exactly what was going wrong with the place, I naturally assisted him with his fact finding as I was keen to see the place return to its previous high standard! He assured me that, although the venue would not return to how it once was whereby it basically felt like a privately owned establishment, it would at least aim to provide a quality service and more importantly serve a good standard of food.

After going elsewhere since a friend invited me to lunch at the Maenllwyd, I agreed as I was keen to see what it was now like! To sum it up, the food was good to be fair but the service was absolutely terrible!! I would like to point out that I am not overly fussy but it really was appalling!!

We arrived on time for our booking and was told to have a drink at the bar as our table was not ready; I thought this was strange as the place was only a third full but didn't mind in the slightest. The bar area was empty so we got served straight away, I asked if we could put the drinks onto our table (a pretty common request I think) and was told "sorry I can't do that as you are sat outside!" I explained that this was not the case and we have jut arrived for lunch, and we are eating inside! She answered "well where are you sitting then?" I explained again that we had just arrived and we are waiting for our table to be set. She quickly stated "no not possible until you have your table allocated to you!! Anyway we soon got over this debacle and our drinks where in fact allocated to our table, after much huffing around on her part I must add!!

Anyway we sat down menu less and were then ignored for 15 or 20 minutes! One of our group had to ask for some menus! We perused the offerings for some time but then had to ask to order, no one came over and asked whether we were ready even though we were all sat there with the menus in the centre of the table!

The food arrived in a timely manner and in fairness it was ok - no complaints really! I would say it was on par with food at Wetherspoons though but then again you get a drink included there for £5-£7!

After we had finished the plates were collected and we were asked whether we wanted deserts to which we replied yes! We waited for a further 15 minutes and a waiter finally dropped off the menus! Also we were not offered more drinks during our entire stay even though our glasses were pretty much empty by the time we were half way through our meals!

We asked for the bill and quickly left!

Not a pleasurable experience guys!!

1  Thank Dame2007
Write a ReviewReviews (1,428)

Reviewed May 4, 2014

Happened to be staying in Rudry, Wales and this was the nearest pub to us. Popped in for a bite to eat and the atmosphere is quite relaxed. The pub seemed busy so we thought we'd give the food a go. There was a lot of choice on the menu and a wide range of different foods. I ordered the garlic bread with cheese as a starter and sirloin steak as the main with apple pie and custard for dessert. The food was average. Not amazing really but definitely satisfied our hunger. The steak was slightly fatty and a lot of the fat had to be wrestled with when eating it. Apart from that the food was ok.

Reviewed May 4, 2014

Arrived here on a sunny day, both myself & my partner said hello to the bar staff being polite as you do, no sign of it back though! Weird... Very rudely asked what we wanted to drink, ordered the rib eye which wasn't cheap £19 asked for it well done, which I know is what chefs hate cooking but that's my proffered choice, but actually came out like leather! No check back done! Average taste! I cook a better rib eye myself from sainsburys that cost me £8-9 . Not impressed sorry won't be returning!

Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

Loved this popular country pub we visited on a Saturday night. It was very busy but the manager helped to secure a table later on in the evening. We had steak and lamb rack. Both were excellent as was the service. Definitely recommend.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

Myself and my family had a Sunday Roast which we payed good money for. Well, how disappointed was we. The portion was so small. I had the vegetarian Sunday dinner. There was 3 tiny roast potatoes, 1 small cauliflower, 1 small broccoli, and an average Yorkshire pudding. The quality was ok and service very good but why such small portions when you are paying so much. I brought this to the attention of the waiter but no action taken. We have been to this restaurant so many times but will give this place a rest for a while. Very disappointed!!!!