“Go explore the castle!”

Private South Wales Day Trip from Bath
Ranked #1 of 22 things to do in Caerphilly
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The fortress sprawls over a huge area making it the largest castle in Wales. Like the famous cheese, the castle has long been synonymous with Caerphilly. It dominates. Hogs the limelight. Think slumbering giant awaiting a call to arms. It's also a great backdrop for TV and film. It secured a starring role recently in the popular BBC TV series Merlin.
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We visited here during a recent break to Cardiff. We went on a Saturday morning and had the place mostly to ourselves! Entry is reasonable at £4.75 per adult. There is a pay and display car park across the road from the castle.(£2 for 3hours) It is a lovely castle which is a great place to explore. What is nice is that they have not turned it into a glitzy tourist attraction, it is simply about the castle and finding your own way around up and down the spiral staircases.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

Really interesting place to visit if you're in the area, probably don't make a special trip though. Reasonable priced entry but its probably a half day activity rather than a full day. Also good gift shop if thats important (which it is to me as I like a souvenir!!)

Reviewed June 12, 2013

We called in to see the castle while in Wales and found ourselves there for several hours even though, on the face of it, there isn't a massive amount to see (albeit the castle is very big).

The most impressive thing was the interactive table that provided photographs and a great deal of information about the history of the castle and it's restoration. My husband and I spent a lot of time on this, but I did think that if we had been there at a busier time (we went on a Monday morning) we wouldn't have got near this table, and information elsewhere about the Castle is very limited.

There is the odd board about here and there but I think there should be more information in the rooms about what they were and who used them. Almost everything we found out was from the interactive table and the guide book, the latter of which was difficult to follow and needed updating as parts of the castle have been opened up and are now accessible since that book was written.

National Trust properties I've visited provide a tour tape with headphones and something similar would have been really useful here.

Overall I'm pleased I visited as it was really interesting. A bit more easily accessible information about the history round and about (in addition to the interactive table that only a couple of people can access at the same time) would be helpful though.

Warning - this is not a site that is wheelchair friendly.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

I went to Caerphilly Castle earlier this year to photograph its cascading towers and curving staircases. I found the castle as most peaceful, and whilst photographing what was needed I found that since my last visit the castle was evermore expanding by adding educational videos and small animations, which makes the visit far more interesting and exciting. I would definitely promote this attraction, for all tourists as the castle is a mere 2 minute walk from the town and there is a helpful tourist information centre opposite. Would visit again with haste!

Reviewed June 4, 2013

it's a really nice place, with very nice views, we went for a walk around the castle, loved it and recommend it definetely