“Caerphilly Castle”

Private South Wales Day Trip from Bath
Ranked #1 of 22 things to do in Caerphilly
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The fortress sprawls over a huge area making it the largest castle in Wales. Like the famous cheese, the castle has long been synonymous with Caerphilly. It dominates. Hogs the limelight. Think slumbering giant awaiting a call to arms. It's also a great backdrop for TV and film. It secured a starring role recently in the popular BBC TV series Merlin.
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We attended a wedding here,and took the opportunity to look around the Castle.It's one of the biggest castles in Europe,with several entry gates,and a large moat system.The castle was built in the 1200's as one of the castles surrounding Wales,to keep the Welsh from raiding England.It's right in Caerphilly town centre,with easy parking opposite.
One of the most interesting features is the leaning tower,which has a lean angle greater than the much more famous Leaning Tower of Pisa.The Caerphilly one was hit by a cannonball during the English Civil War,and really doesn't look as though its going to stay up much longer,though 350 odd years like it belie that thought!
Well worth a visit.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

I feel ashamed to say i've only been into the Castle twice,its a lovely place to spend a few hrs wandering around.We went the last time to watch our granddaughter doing folk dancing for her school.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

great place to walk around on a sunny day or have a picnic also attended a wedding here which was a wonderful experience,

Reviewed February 3, 2013

this is one of the biggest castles in europe, our favourite place to walk around feed the birds just amazed how big it is

Reviewed February 2, 2013

I don't quite have the words to describe my visit to Caerphilly, but I fell in love with it and after that no castle I saw during our visit to Europe could compare. We drove into the town and the castle was just there - not high on a hill or on a crag - just in the middle of the town but dominating the landscape. There are no beautiful gardens or ornate furnishings but I was awe struck by its raw beauty. It is how I imagined a medieval castle would be - the only thing missing were the occupants. The place stimulated my imagination and we roamed the building and grounds for hours taking photos. We were intrigued by the leaning tower. Follow your visit to the quaint town and have coffee at one of the cafes within sight of the castle.

1  Thank Lynne R