“Sweet Indian cuisine”

Castle Gate Indian Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 85 Restaurants in Caerphilly
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti
Good for: Dining on a budget, Large groups, Special occasions, Kids, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Twice voted as one of the top 100 Indian restaurants in the UK by the British Curry Awards, the Castle Gate has secured its place as one of the most popular Indian restaurants in South Wales. Situated in the historic fortress town of Caerphilly just a few miles north of Cardiff, Castle Gate offers an extensive range of award-winning, authentic Indian cuisine served by staff trained to ensure your dining experience is second to none! Avoid the problem of parking too. Castle Gate has ample parking for 50 cars or more, so visiting couldn't be easier. Whether you are planning an intimate meal for two, or a group booking for 80 people, Castle Gate is the perfect choice! It's no wonder the South Wales Echo described a meal at the Castle Gate Restaurant as "A thoroughly enjoyable experience!"
Pontypridd, United Kingdom
“Sweet Indian cuisine”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

There seem to be plenty of Indian eateries everywhere these days. This a comfortable, cosy, good food place. Prices are no more than average and choice of meal likewise. Worth a visit for sure. Easy parking right outside and a handy pub if you like a drink just across the car park.

Visited January 2013

Cardiff
“My favourite Indian”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

We have been going to this restaurant for many years. We have always found the staff to be very polite, friendly and attentive.The restaurant food has always been very good to excellent, although because of the distance we live away we have never had takeaways so I can't really comment on them but if you were to judge this on the number of people who come in for takeaways it must be good because they are always busy regardless of which day you go.
Thoroughly recommend this restaurant.

• Visited December 2012
Caerphilly, United Kingdom
“Oily onions”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

Sadly, this nice venue now serves food comprising a high proportion of onion saturated with oil (Ghee?)

• Visited October 2012
Caerphilly, S.Wales, UK
“Far better than most”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2011

My wife and I regularly use this restaurant for both dining and take aways. We have never had a bad meal and the quality of food is excellent. I would recommend this place at the drop of a hat.

Farnborough, United Kingdom
“OK, but nothing special. Staff need education on food allergies.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2011

We'd heart this restaraunt was highly thought of by the Curry Club. So we thought we would give it a try. We went on two separate occaisions.
Reservation was handled promptly and efficiently. The atmosphere was average. Possibly as we were early on in the evening, need to try a couple more times.
Food was good to average. Some of the food we had eaten much better for cheaper elsewhere. The main complaint, ironically was the portion size was too big. I am a trencher but I struggled. My wife couldn't finnish her mains. Perhaps smaller portions but better quality would be a way to proceed.
One particular worry was I have food allergy. I am allergic to gluten. I asked one of the staff which products had gluten and I was told the breads were fine. They had only self-raising flour. Would have been fine had I had a problem with yeast but not gluten. Think education is needed urgently here as the nearest A&E is in Cardif and this is a long way away.
Price was the higher end of average.

On the whole. Good, but could do better. We will give them another try.

• Visited August 2011