Review of The New Garden

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Great food in the evenings but fantastic Sunday Buffet Lunch......30 years of great service and excellent food !!!!

1  Thank AJJD2

Reviewed August 21, 2013

To look from the outside you would think this was to be a small restaurant but my was I wrong!
It's huge.
We opted for the set menu for 4.
Huge plate of prawn toast and a plate of prawn crackers with chilli dipping sauce to start, lovely.
Huge plate of crispy duck and pancakes next.
One huge bowel of house special rice
5 huge plates of main courses!
Needles to say we could not eat it all, really nice food though.
We were offered a doggy bag which was a nice touch.
Bust place for a Sunday night so I presume this is the place to go in the area for a good chinese meal.
Great service all round too.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

We used to go to this reastrant nearly 13 years ago taking my late grandmother for a special treat on her birthdays etc, we went last night for my sisters engagement party, there was nearly 20 of us, family & friends of jo & James,
We booked a table for 19:00 the table was ready when we all arrived and all seated with no problems, some ordered from the set menus & some ordered individual meals from the menu, how on earth they plan and actually acheive in getting all the meals in order and to the correct people so efficiently I have no idea, starters seconds like crispy duck, and then the main meals all were served in order and it seamed the whole party were on the same course in order,
tasty food and loads of it me & my son are really big eaters and we failed to finish off everything, I can't remember the last time I didn't have a sweet,
The food quality is still top notch, really authentic, tasty and always hot, we all really enjoyed the night, thank you new gardens for a really nice night.
The place was packed but it didn't seem to bother the staff they coped and again every need was met, you will need to book a table. This place I think Is maybe the best Chinese reastrant in South Wales, keep up the good work

1  Thank yuasa77
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I have not been there for well over 20 years or so. However I went there with some friends to celebrate Fathers Day. The staff were friendly but clearly over worked, the place was packed. Although there was plenty of choice of food, it was quite bland. I personally would not go there again. There are plenty of other take aways offering better quality food.

1  Thank imaging4
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We were looking forward to our meal at The New Garden, having read such glowing reviews. The restaurant is certainly impressive. Despite a very small front, the restaurant is large inside with a big waiting/lounge area and lots of tables and booths. Unbelievably there is also a small fish pond inside - complete with bridge - and a grand piano. More about the piano later. It's obvious this is a busy place with staff rushing back and forth carrying huge plates of food / plates ...... unfortunately, as we found out, actually being aware of the customers precise needs seemed low down on the list. In fact as we were trying to order dessert we managed to get the attention of one waitress....who actually couldn't speak English. You would think this would be a fairly basic requirement for a waitress.

Although plentiful (and we were offered more) the food was very disappointing. The sauces seemed to be very heavy and cloying, and lacking any kind of flavour. The spare ribs were served in a strange way - cut into small sections which involved extracting each piece of bone from your mouth. Not very elegant. Duck was served in what was supposed to be plum sauce, but we were certain no plums had been involved in its manufacture. We never did find out what the sauce actually was. Also we weren't offered any prawn crackers (although other tables seemed to be munching through large bowls of them), and the restaurant has decided not to use chopstick rests - they would add to the table setting and make the tablecloths far less soiled.

I guess if this was your only experience of Chinese food it might be acceptable, but compared to other Chinese restaurants we've eaten in this was very poor.

Finally back to the grand piano - I guess the prospect of live music must be thought to be a good advertising ploy. However I'm sorry to say the pianist was awful. I was actually glad to leave the place and get away from it. Surely quiet background music from a CD would be much nicer.....frankly silence would have been preferable.

Reading claims that this has been classed as the best Chinese restaurant in the UK is simply ridiculous. This may have been the case in the past, but judging by our visit the place has a long way to go to reach a fairly average standard. Sorry but we cannot recommend a visit.

1  Thank MagicDave