“Could have been better”
Review of Court Colman Manor

Court Colman Manor
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Bridgend
Reviewed November 28, 2011

I have marked the experience as a very generous average. My girlfriend bought a voucher as a treat for "a dinner, bottle of wine, one night in a luxury room and breakfast". On booking our stay she was informed that there were no luxury rooms available until january and so were booked into a standard room. When we arrived at the hotel I was pleasantly surprised by the beautiful setting and grand facade. That however is all it was, a facade. When you enter the reception hall there is a beautiful staircase but an unpleasant tinkling from the radio playing behind the reception desk and folders and file piled up around it. We went to our room and were immediately by the smell of mildew. the wallpaper was peeling, bulbs were blown in the lamps, it was not very appealing. I went down stairs, was apologised too and given a key to another room. It was also explained that the room we were in first was due to be refurbished. If you know the room is not up to standard why book people into it?

The second room was pleasant enough, the extractor fan in the bathroom sounded like a moped speeding down a dual carriageway and the general standard of the fittings in the bathroom was poor. There was no draft excluders on the door, i noticed this only because it was a blustery night (not windy but blustery) and was kept up by the sound of the wind rushing across the roof, down the extractor fan, slamming the door to the bathroom (which had no catch to stop it) and then rushing over the bed toward the door. This left me quite cold through out the night and awake due to the door knocking.

The dinner was quite pleasant however there is very little ambience, the lighting is very bright and the decor rather garish (not to my taste but I suppose thats just me).

Breakfast was a little disappointing, I'm vegetarian so never really get my hopes up about cooked breakfasts but the choices i did have were disappointing. The mushrooms were in a pot of oil and liquid on a buffet cart and were tepid at best, the hash browns were extremely oily and the vat of rubbery scrambled egg so unappealing I didn't even try them. There were no grilled tomatoes and when I pointed this out I did get an apology they rushed of to grill some, sadly what i got back was half a cold tomato warm on one side. The continental buffet was very nice and offered everything you might expect.

I think I may have enjoyed my brief stay more if i hadn't gone to a mouldy room to start with. It wasn't a terrible experience but a disappointing one as I could just see how simple things could have been done better to improve the overall experience. The standard rooms do not appear on the website pictures and so our expectations were perhaps a little high.

All in all it was a nice enough hotel, but I will not hurry back or recommend it to anyone else. It's saving grace is the pleasant staff and beautifully views that were marred somewhat by the filthy, cobweb encrusted windows that made it very difficult to see.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank James B

Reviewed November 26, 2011

I was a little apprehensive after reading one or two negative reviews on this hotel but I must say my stay could not have been better. The place has a wonderful historic charm and the staff are the most helpful of any hotel I have stayed in, particularly Tina on the reception desk who went out of her way to make sure we enjoyed our stay.

If you're looking for clinical conformity then book a Travelodge or Premier But if you want somewhere with charm, history, comfort and staff that really care about you then Court Coleman is my choice.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed November 20, 2011

Once we found it the Manor had fine views over a rolling landscape. The coffee and meeting room were exellent for our meeting and the whole building oozed of history. We had a lovely 3-course dinner that was served well and was really tasty. I would certainly bring my whole family here for a get-together.

Room Tip: Make sure you have good directions to get here.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 15, 2011

Following a four and a half hour drive we were looking forward to having a refreshing shower and a short nap to revive ourselves when we arrived at the Court Colman at 2pm on a Saturday afternoon. So to be greeted in the car park by family members who had been turned away and told to return at 3pm as the rooms weren't ready, was a tad disappointing.... however we made the best of the situation and visited a local hostelry to wait out the hour before checking in. Returning to the hotel at 3.15pm our disappointment was increased by the exceedingly unfriendly greeting from a dragon lady at the reception desk, who seemed to be brassed off by the fact that so many family members had turned up at the same time (we were all going to a family celebration later that evening). She was extremely awkward in the way she dealt with us and said she would have to go and check if the rooms were ready, and then took herself off for about ten minutes before coming back to present us with our keys. So not exactly "greeted with a genuine smile and treated as a friend" as promised on their website!
We had opted for their standard rooms, described as "offering classic comfort and Georgian charm". Well if mouldy damp patches, cobwebs, dead insects in light fittings and a general feeling of decorative tiredness counts as Georgian charm, then that is what was delivered, but to be honest it wasn't what I expected from their description of "a room that's clean and comfortable". Apparantly they also "recognise that at the end of the day, [their guests] want a good bathroom, a decent shower and plenty of hot water" it's just a pity that our bathroom looked rather grubby (brown stains on the grouting) and had a shower whose temperature was impossible to control, constantly alternating between freezing and scalding, and whose power could really only be described as pathetic.
On arriving for breakfast on our first morning, no-one greeted us or explained how things worked. We sat down at a free table and waited for ages for someone to come to take our order for breakfast, as the menu indicated that cooked breakfasts needed to be ordered in this way. It was only when another family member, who had arrived a day earlier than ourselves, explained that there was a hot buffet available in an adjoining room, we eventually managed to get our food - though to be honest it wasn't exactly delicious.I would describe the breakfast food as barely adequate - cold eggs, sweaty bacon, over cooked sausages etc. etc.
It was the little niceties missing from the service that I found particularly disappointing - so for example there is no 24 hour reception. This was not pointed out to us on arrival and therefore on returning rather late on Sunday evening we found ourselves locked out. Eventually realised that there was a door code on a sticker on the key and although it was badly rubbed we managed to figure it out by trial and error. The following morning I mentioned, very politely, to the (dragon) lady on reception that we had had some difficulty and suggested that it might be useful to notify guests on arrival. She clearly couldn't care less and said "we normally do" before pointing to a notice in the foyer saying "it says it on there" .... a simple "I'm sorry you weren't told" after her curt "we normally do", would have been a much friendlier way to deal with things.
On a positive note, the view is stunning

Room Tip: Tip to choose a good room - stay at the Hazlewood Lodge instead - we have stayed there in the past a...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Lin6663
mikem110, Manager at Court Colman Manor, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2011

It was unfortunate this group of guests arrived at a very busy moment in time as we serviced bedrooms from a full house the night before and a wedding reception was getting underway. It is apparent from their prospective we didn't give them the welcome they were expecting and I am sorry for that. Despite our best efforts to rush getting their rooms ready we obviously got off to a bad start and as they spent most of their time out of the hotel visiting family locally we never had the opportunity to get to know them as we endevaour to do with our guests. It occurs to me that with their comment regarding having a preferred alternative venue in the area once we got off to the wrong start it was always going to be challenging. But still a learning point for us as we strive to give all our guests the same level of hospitality despite how busy we can be at times.

Reviewed November 15, 2011

This was a voucher offer that was supposed to be a 'luxury' stay. Our room was very small, the en suite also. The bed linen had a scorch mark, 2 lamps had no bulbs & the tea & coffee facilities were plugged into a traing extension lead dangling from the socket.
The shower was not clean - mould in the grouting & dirt in the door tracks.
You won't find a picture of this standard of room on their website.
I informed reception of the bulb situation & they were replaced. I commented that because we'd booked through a discount scheme we wouldn't get a good room but was assured this was not the case.
The restaurant is advertised as award winning - presumably when the judges dined there they didn't have to wait nearly an hour for their starter with no apology. There is a redeeming feature in that the food was very nice, although I could have eaten a similar meal closer to home & enjoyed it more!
We decided that we'd rather spend the night at home & left after dinner so I'm unable to comment on the quality of breakfast.

• Stayed: November 2011
5  Thank tonlady1

I was sorry to read this reviewer didn't enjoy their experience of visiting Court Colman and would have liked the opportunity to resolve matters for them at the time so that they could have enjoyed themselves as we would have wanted them to have done. It was disappointing they decided not to stay the night with us but as they only lived a few miles from the hotel they obviously preferred after they had dined to return home - a great shame they couldn't have relaxed more and at the very least enjoyed breakfast in the morning.

Reviewed November 14, 2011

KGB deal was £89 for 2 nights B&B in a "suite" and included a bottle of wine. The Venetian "suite" didn't have hot water so we were moved to the French "suite". Some of the central heating radiators don't work but they have put electric heaters on the walls. The Indian restaurant was very good, as were the breakfasts. The hotel needs several million pounds to bring it up to scratch and they could then justify £200 per night - but in Bridgend?? probably it would be empty. The place seems to tick by on wedding receptions. Don't expect 5 star luxury but the staff are friendly.

Room Tip: Suites are large but very weird
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple

I am grateful to this reviewer pointing out not to expect "five star luxury" - we are in fact a very good three star hotel as determined from the annual visits we have by Inspectors from both the AA and VisitWales. We dont pretend to be anything more than what these professionals award us via the rating schemes. However what we do offer is traditional hospitality in a friendly relaxing atmosphere and in particular excellent food in our Bokhara restaurant. And whilst I would love to charge £200 per night!! we actually offer very competitive rates much lower than suggested as can be found on our own website and others.

Reviewed November 11, 2011

Stayed here a month ago and was instantly bowled over at the warm welcome that I got from Reception. The Hotel is set in beautiful surroundings and has some lovely original architectural features inside. The room that I stopped in was so spacious!! Seriously I could have had a disco in the bathroom. I understand that there are going to be changes to some of the bedrooms mainly in the bathrooms and this will just add to the charm and character.

For me one of the highlights would have to be the food. I dined in the Bokhara Restaurant which was absolutely fabulous. I do cookery on television for a living and I can safely say that they deserve their awards, especially Best Indian Restaurant in Wales for 2008 and 2009. I ate a dish which encompassed local Lamb and leeks, wonderfully cooked, excellent service and a nice comforting atmosphere.

The next day was really pleasant and I was sat outside minding my own business and one of the staff kindly brought me out a pot of tea with home made biscuits. The biscuits had just come out of the oven and were so good I ate the lot (sorry).

Court Colman Manor is not a heartless cosmopolitan place. Yes it has a few squeaky floor boards etc. but that is what gives this place heart and soul. If you want a even lines and a dull experience then go and stay in a travelodge or something.

I could highly recommend this as a wedding and conference venue.

Room Tip: Ask them for a room with a big bathroom, mine was awesome!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business

Thank you to this reviewer for their very kind comments about their experience from visiting Court Colman. The feedback regarding Bokhara were especially welcomed and represent so many of the comments we recieve from those guests who choose to let us know how they feel at the time of their visit. I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming them back again sometime soon.

Michael Mitchell

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bridgend
The Great House Hotel
Premier Inn Bridgend Central Hotel
Fairways Hotel
Fairways Hotel
#4 of 6 in Porthcawl

Been to Court Colman Manor? Share your experiences!