“Disappointing meal :-(”

Newport, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Disappointing meal :-(”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

Visited last tuesday evening with friends. Had a steak which was meant to be medium but was actually well done. Steak in itself wasn't too bad - very small but tasty. It came with frozen fried chips, a salad garnish and what were described as button mushrooms. The mushrooms were grey, squelchy and cold - they had either been boiled or were out of a tin and quite inedible. We also had pepper sauce which the chef had made himself (the bar lady checked for us). It was ok - but there were no peppercorns to be seen in it at all, so was just a thick brown sauce without much taste to it. We also had onion rings and these were really nice!. With the 25% discount I paid around £16 for a cola, the meal and shared the sauce and onion rings with a friend - I don't think this was very good value at all and I won't be returning. I'm wondering whether
Phew the 25% was actually off the portion size - because it really didn't bare any relation to the previous reviews on here - I had to have some toast when I got home as I was still hungry!!!!

Visited June 2014

“My Favourite Sunday Visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014

Always excellent service with friendly staff. Usually busy on a Sunday but never have to wait more than 10 minutes for a clean table, the staff are always very accommodating in trying to seat us during busy times. The Sunday dinner is amazing. We return every Sunday without fail, the perfect hangover cure! reasonable prices too, as my daughter only has vegetables with no meat, so they provide this at a reduced cost. You can even take a dinner away on a plate, which is helpful as my partner works Sundays. Definitely the best Sunday lunch in Bridgend.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Sunday vegetarian carvery review!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014

The WH has plenty of tables to sit and eat but they are almost always full around 2pm (maybe because it is so popular). After finding a table I went to the bar to pay for a £5.25 (reasonable) vegetarian carvery. It took around 2m for the staff to serve me and were happy to make vegetarian gravy just for me. I think I stood in line for a maximum of 1m before being able to serve myself.

The peas and stuffing were first class. The roasties, yorkshire pudding and cabbage was average. The carrots had very little taste to them and were too watery.

The service, setting and staff I'd give 4 out of 5 but the food was a let down. If the food was improved to beyond average I think I'd give overall 4 out of 5 and visit more often.

Bridgend, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Another fab evening and meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2014

Had another couple of lovely visits, fab meals, lovely atmosphere and reasonably priced.

We don't normally have desserts but................ Salted Caramel Profiteroles just cannot be resisted.

Thoroughly enjoyed the regular Sunday Evening Quiz too - if only we didn't have work on a Monday :-)

Will definitely be returning very soon.

Visited April 2014
Bridgend
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“A really nice pub”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2014 via mobile

A really nice pub, ideal for family's, great food and fabulous atmosphere with pub quiz every Sunday, darts and outside beer garden

Visited May 2014