“Great value for money”

and 1 more site!
The Wyndham Arms
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Bridgend
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We arrived at the hotel at around 4pm (myself, husband, our twins girls and my mother) after spending the day in Porthcawl. It did take several minutes to get into the hotel as no one was answering the door, but when we did get in we found the duty manager Lisa to be fantastic. Lisa could not have been more helpful and friendly she even carried my mothers bag to her room. We found both the rooms to be clean with plenty of towels and clean white bed linen. There are faults, it tends to get very noisy outside, you have to park at a nearby car park as the town is pedestrianised. We found all the staff to be very friendly and helpful and we would most certainly stay again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank hels08WestMidlands
Lisa W, Manager at The Wyndham Arms, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Thank you very much for your kind comments regarding your recent stay, we are all very grateful when customers take the time out to comment on their stay. As a hotel we pride ourselves on our customer service, and like to think that this is an aspect in which we excel. As you tend to find when there is only a small team of staff we are more like a family than colleagues and like to feel that each guest that checks in are not only checking in to the hotel, but also becoming part of our ‘hotel family’ for the duration of their stay.
With regards to the rooms we are pleased that you found everything that you needed was there, and up to the standards that you expect. Cleanliness is a key element of the Wyndham Arms and it is always good to hear that our guests are appreciating and noticing this. As with any town centre hotel we do get some noise, and we thank you for being understanding about this and not allowing it to taint your opinion regarding our establishment. In a similar way we understand that not having on site parking can be frustrating and we really do appreciate when guests, such as yourselves, don’t let this affect their stay with us.
On behalf of myself and all the staff here at the Wyndham Arms may I once again thank you for all your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

We pre-booked our stay at this hotel. On our arrival we were greeted by friendly and helpful reception staff. The room was immaculate and all facilities available. The room charges were very good compared to other hotels in the surrounding area also bearing in mind it was a bank holiday weekend. It was a little noisy a little later when the pubs closed which is only to be expected of a town centre hotel, but made for interesting viewing out of the hotel window of people going home in a merry manner. If your looking for a perfectly quiet hotel with just the sound of hooting owls at night, this is not for you but if your looking for a friendly run hotel with honest prices then it is. I would imagine it is quieter during a weeknight. But even the weekend noise is not so bad. I would like to mention the hotel manager-Lisa Driscoll. What a perfectly lovely and professional lady. She was an absolute pleasure to talk with at reception in the morning. I wish all managers in all businesses were of her calibre. It would make the world a much nicer place to be in. I even had a chance to speak with the head of the room cleaning dept also a lovely lady. Room cleaning never gets a mention in reviews, but I would like to mention it. They have already done there work and gone before we get to the hotel and we leave and in they go again to clean up the room when we have left often without praise. So thank you to this lady also for the professional job her team do on the rooms. What a pity we cant clone the likes of Lisa Driscoll and make hotel managers everywhere like her. I shall most certainly stay here again. Thank you for a lovely stay Lisa and crew. Lisa Driscoll for manger of the year contest if there were one.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Lisa W, Manager at The Wyndham Arms, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2013

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments, we are all so grateful for all your kind remarks, and personally it is always uplifting and encouraging to hear that as a manager I am meeting and exceeding customers expectations. As a small team we pride ourselves on our customer service, cleanliness and our value for money, all of which you have kindly noticed, this just goes to show that all our hard work does pay off, and hearing such positive feedback is so rewarding.
I would especially like to thank you for your comments regarding the housekeeping department and the cleanliness of your room, as you mentioned often this team is forgotten, yet without this team we simply would not have a hotel. The whole team works tirelessly to ensure the cleanliness of the rooms is 100%, customer comfort is key and we are glad that you found your room more than satisfying.
Once again thank you for your comments and we hope to see you back through our doors in the near future!

Reviewed May 22, 2013

Can't complain when you spend £35 to sleep a family of 4 and get above average service and accommodation. Yes main bed not the softest, but kid’s beds mattresses were Hypnos (for those in the know the queen has one).
Excellent staff who were both genuine and helpful.
Parking is a 2 mins stroll away.
Down stairs is a standard busy bar selling good basic food which cost us £22 for more than we could eat.
Breakfast was £12 in total and came with pints of orange juice.
For overall value you can't beat it.

Room Tip: No parking directly at hotel so use either multistory or other close by public car park. Both optio...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Lisa W, Manager at The Wyndham Arms, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

On behalf of myself and all the staff here at the Wyndham Arms I would like to thank you for your kind comments and positive feedback, it is always good to know that our customers have enjoyed their stay with us. As you have recognised our value for money, on both our accommodation rates and our bar/food prices are indeed very good, here at the Wyndham Arms we feel we provide maximum comfort for a minimal cost, which is why so many of our customers return time and time again. It is also great to hear that all our staff were friendly and helpful, our team of dedicated and knowledgeable staff are always ready to help and it is wonderful to hear that this is being recognised by our customers.
Once again may I think you for your comments, we look forward to seeing you in the future.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed one night with hubby on business and would have stayed longer if time had allowed
The area needs time to explore and I hope to visit again
Wetherspoons always good value, no frills but comfortable and better than some larger hotels that I have stayed in
Room was large enough, all amenities fine, however the 4 am glass collection by the local council woke us and then we found it hard to get back to sleep. This also happened at Wetherspoons Newport.
It was a Monday Bank holiday but I expected it to be noisier, however, it was very quiet, only a dozen or so in the bar and restaurant where we ate a passable meal and wine deal.
Always found Wethies (my husband affectionate name for it, possibly because of the real ales!)
welcoming, comfortable and of a decent standard. Would recommend to others but maybe not weekends as it could be noisy.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Lisa W, Manager at The Wyndham Arms, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2013

On behalf of myself and all my staff I would like to thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent stay. It is always good to hear when a customer has enjoyed their stay, this enables us to know where we excel and we like to think that, as you have pointed out, that our hotel is excellent value for money.
In regards to the noise levels at weekends, we very rarely have any complaints regarding this as we are lucky enough to be away from all the main clubs and pubs, we do however understand that you may get some noise from our pub although this is a bare minimum, if any at all.
Once again may I thank you for your kind comments and we hope to see you again in the near future, maybe this time you could stay a little longer and enjoy some of the local area as well as our hotel.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Arrived at around 10pm Saturday night to find the streets around the hotel full of 'revellers'. Overcoming my first inclination to keep the windows wound up and drive on I made it through the throng and up to the shuttered reception.desk.
The polite young guy there looked surprised when I asked for a quite room and told me that they rarely have complaints about noise.
Wow! Big surprise! My single room was just right!
Equal or better to a Premier Inn - but smaller. Nice firmish matress, a lovely feather duvet and big fluffy pillows. Nice furnishings. The bathroom was as expected with gallons of steaming hot water delivered at full blast.
I got a undisturbed nights sleep and if you dont mind the weekend partying nearby I can recommend the Wyndham Arms - which is a Weatherspoons pub.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank John Beasley
Lisa W, Manager at The Wyndham Arms, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Thank you so much for your kind comments about your recent stay. We are pleased to hear that you had a relaxing and enjoyable stay with us and that you were not put off by our town centre location. Here at the Wyndham Arms we pride ourselves on the quality of our rooms and our excellent value for money, and it is always great to hear that our customers feel that we are providing them with affordable and comfortable accommodation.
Many thanks from all of us here at the Wyndham Arms, Bridgend.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

As with most Weatherspoons, you get what you pay for, good value and no frills. Staff friendly and helpful, food good without being gourmet and rooms basic but clean and comfortable.

No problem with checking in, friendly. Room a decent size, bathroom clean, and bed comfy.
Had lunch, again good value, an added bonus for me was that there was a beer festival on, so enjoyed trying a few different beers at excellent prices.
Only problem with the bathroom was that the "flusher" on the toilet needed pumping vigorously to work. Then on Sunday morning, the kettle didn't work so we had to go without a cuppa.

Mentioned at checkout, and the receptionist was full of apologies.Unlikely we'll need to stay in Bridgend again,but if we do, then would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review, please accept our apologise for the problems with the toilet and the kettle during your stay. Although our rooms are of high standards we understand that occasionally there are faults and we are pleased that overall your opinion was affected and that you would stay here again.
Here at the Wyndham Arms we like to think that our customer service, value for money and the excellent quality of our rooms provides for a good nights stay, and we are pleased that you felt the same.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

I was apprehensive about stopping at a wetherspoons expecting it to be noisy and possibly at a low standard. I was pleasantly surprised. The room was clean and eventually warm once the wall heater got going. The bed was comfortable. I had to book a family room as it was the only room available and was asked if I wanted to have the 3rd bed taken out. I didn't think it was necessary and the room was large enough to take 3 beds. I was given 2 key cards so I could leave the heating on and had electricity, very useful for charging my iPad when out! On the day of departure I didn't have to start work until 2 and was able to keep the room on at no extra charge so I didn't have to 'walk the streets' from 11am.
Even if you are not a fan of wetherspoons the accommodation and staff are faultless.
I travel a lot with my job and stay in all sorts of hotels. This is as good as any other budget hotel if not better as the staff go beyond the call of duty.
My only criticism is completely out of the hotel's control and that is the road sweepers clean about 6.30 in the morning so for me no alarm needed! But considering the accommodation is above the pub you can't not hear the cliental at all.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Karenhallinterpreter
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bridgend
Days Inn Bridgend Cardiff M4
Court Colman Manor
Court Colman Manor
#5 of 8 in Bridgend
Travelodge Bridgend Pencoed

Been to The Wyndham Arms? Share your experiences!