“Excellent food, poor service” 4 of 5 bubbles

Franklins Cafe Bar
Cuisines: Cafe, Mediterranean, British
Dining options: Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating
Dining options: Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating
“Excellent food, poor service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

We stopped by on Bank holiday Monday and the food was excellent. The roast beef & Horseradish baguette was absolutely beautiful. We also had the curry which was really good.

Unfortunately we were left waiting quite a while for our drinks to be brought to our table, which meant we only order one round of drinks. They are missing out by not serving drinks when ordered and before the food arrived. People on the table next to us had also been waiting a long time for a cup of tea, and when it was brought out the tea pot was half empty.

This place has recently been taken over so I'm sure that they will get into a routine and the service will improve. I hope so as the food was excellent and its the only place to eat in Ogmore-by-sea.

Further to the comment below, they now have a debit/credit card machine :)

• Visited April 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank RapaNui27

Cardiff, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lovely little place overlooking the sea -make sure to book ahead!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

This is a lovely small cafe overlooking the sea. We visited for breakfast and very luckily managed to get a table without phoning ahead. I have been since though and was unable to get a table - we were advised by the staff to ring ahead to see if a table is available in future. This is the only cafe in Ogmore-by-Sea along the seafront, and so can be very busy.
The food was lovely - I had eggs benedict, while my partner had the full-english. The prices are reasonable - please note they only take cash. The staff are really friendly, with a speedy service.

Accessiblity - all of cafe at groundfloor level, with outside seating also.

• Visited July 2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Quirky and good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013

Went for a breakfast before walking in this area and really enjoyed the experience. Staff friendly and quirky crockery. open all year and all day!

• Visited December 2013
Stafford, United Kingdom
“Disappointed - We must have caught them on a bad day?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

The service was as reported, welcoming, accommodating and enthusiastic. My family took vegan/vegetarian options and were well pleased at the meals served to them. From that perspective this establishment cannot be faulted.
However, as the only meat eater in the group I can only report my disappointment at the meal served up. I ordered the Thai (chicken) curry with Basmati Rice. Firstly, the rice was more like American long grain and definitely not Basmati. Secondly, the chicken part of the curry had been treated to a swift warming in the microwave and had actually been overdone. I will say, the first time the chicken had come into contact with the ( generic) curry was as it got put on my plate. Parts of the chicken were almost crispy while other parts were very hard and almost unpalatable. What's the point of complaining about such a dreadful offering? A conscientious cook/chef would not have allowed my meal to leave the kitchen, it really was THAT bad. I left the place quite confused. On the one hand my family had been well fed and satisfied with the food served while I was left feeling poorly served and quite disappointed.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Swansea, United Kingdom
“great place for breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

The food and staff were great, very querky and welcoming - nice food delivered with a smile loved the large portions of bacon and eggs.

Visited August 2013