“Oil needs changing, overpriced and badly run”

No photo provided
Cuisines: Fast Food, British
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: fish and chips
Bridgend, United Kingdom
“Oil needs changing, overpriced and badly run”
Reviewed November 29, 2012 via mobile

First time I calles here it was a busy Saturday evening, waited about thirty minutes for the fish and chips which was cooked to order. It was worth the wait. On my last three visits, overcooked fish, the oil needs changing and chips are undercooked. I gave it a few chances in the vain hope my first visit wasn't a fluke. Sorry but overpriced badly run.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Overpriced, overcooked!”
Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

Finnegans was great when it opened back in September 2001, however I have just visited due to seeing my mum who still lives near by and was flabbergasted to pay near £15 for 2 fish and chips and mushy peas and a curry sauce!
The fish was over cooked, my advice is if you see Maureen in the back cooking (elderly small lady) go elsewhere, if u see a young lad then it maybe ok. Very disappointed!! Only good thing is boneless skinless fish!

UK
“Prices go up, quality plummets”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I've been going here since it opened under the ownership of Huw who was proud of his new shop. He always took pride in the products, was keen on customer feedback and tried to "make a difference". Huw is no longer present (for many years now) and the place see-saws from good to bad. It's a lottery as to where on the scale the food will be.

Food is very expensive and not worthy of the price. Far better shops elsewhere at a far more reasonable price.

Funnily enough, you would often see fire engines in the car park as the duty watch would collect the evening's supper but not any more.

It still lives off the legacy of it's previous awards but I'd rather go elsewhere for better value for money. I'm a firm supporter of using your local shops but not at this price. Sorry.

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank NickKeo
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Unbelievably rude staff!”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Pros: The fish is cooked to order, their curry sauce is very tasty.
Cons: Quite expensive, chips can be very undercooked (particularly if they are busy), the poor customer service of their staff.

The staff are very rude and unfriendly. They speak to you like you are a huge inconvenience. The lady who served us on our most recent visit smelt very strongly of smoke and while we were waiting for our food, she made abusive comments about a teenage girl she had just served. Generally just a collection of very unpleasant, rude and unproffesional people.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Roxybaby8597
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Overcooked, overpriced, appalling service”
Reviewed September 15, 2012

In nearly six years since we moved here this place has gone steadily downhill. Plaice and chips for two costs £14.70 compared with £11.60 at the excellent Seven Seas at Ross on Wye. Whereas the latter is consistently good the fish at Finnegan's often has a dark brown batter. A few weeks go the man cooking was talking to a friend at the front of the shop while my fish were getting scorched.

The atmosphere is decidedly unfriendly, almost hostile. Having been there close to 150 times I presented my loyalty card the other day. A poster on the wall stated one would receive a free fish and chips after 20 stamps on the card. I had 18 stamps on it and was ordering 3 sets of fish and chips. The staff refused, saying it only applied to the next order; I said, good I will make only two orders now rather than the three I intended, leave the shop and come back immediately to order the third separately and claim my promised free meal!The next trick was for them to say that the arrangement only applied to cod, not haddock or plaice - announced with glee. This, despite every single prior order of mine being for plaice or haddock - and duly stamped on the card. I countered by pointing to the poster - since when had haddock and plaice ceased to be fish? The poster had always referred to fish. Loyalty card? What loyalty is this to a regular customer? I challenged the staff that if they were true their claim was false advertising; if false they were liars. Either way they have lost a regular customer. Spend your hard earned money wisely - avoid Finnegans. Get decent fish and chips somewhere else. Do not subject yourself to people like this.

• Visited September 2012