All reviews the main house afternoon tea taster menu michelin star sandwiches sunday lunch hake my mum food was lovely wedding reception bar area evening meal couldn't do enough following morning tommy starters raspberry
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We stayed here after a recommendation as we were playing golf at Royal Porthcawl. The room was very clean and lovely decorated. The dinner and breakfast were fantastic such great value. I would definately recommend eating at the hotel. The staff were very polite and accommodating.

Date of stay: September 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 22, 2019

Not a great place. Arrived about 6.00pm after a big day, no hot water until next morning. We had to go down to the reception to ask for the heaters to be turned on in the rooms, it was freezing. The brochures advertised using pictures of an operational kitchen. All of the kitchen cooking appliances had been disconnected altogether. The Wi Fi did not work at all in our room, we had to go down to the foyer to get a signal. We were made promises that it would be fixed, but no cigar!,....So annoying. Many of the channels on the TV were pixelated with poor reception. I have travelled many countries, this is the first time I have been so disappointed with accommodation that I felt the need to write this note. In my view a very second rate operation for the fee asked.

Room tip: too expensive for service
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 18, 2019 via mobile

We stayed over after a family funeral. The bedroom was nice, the bathroom needed a refurb, but was clean and functional. The 3 course evening meal was terrific and excellent value. Breakfast was very nice. Staff were friendly and very accommodating.

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 13, 2019

Stayed recently booked this property because of its history and to stay somewhere with character. Unfortunately very disappointed we were given a room in the stables.
Didn’t understand this as hotel was nearly empty. Room Very outdated with to much furniture in. Carpark outside door where customers that were just using the restaurant stood talking loudly ,disregarding the fact that a few feet away people were trying to sleep. May be an idea to have the spaces outside the rooms for residents only.
Breakfast was geared up for single travellers although very good took a long time to be served.
Positives beautiful garden. Helpful happy staff.
Room rate very competitive

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 16, 2019

Stayed here on business. I had heard great things, but was ultimately disappointed.

The positives: excellent food, friendly staff.

The negatives: uncomfortable bed, terrible shower.

The food is very good, and I cannot fault the restaurant or the service.

Unfortunately, the bed was somehow both hard and springy, leaving it very difficult to get comfortable. I suspect I was also near the boiler, because the room was unbearably hot even though the radiators were switched off.

Visitors should know a nearby church rings until at least 1am, which might be annoying if you've opened a window to deal with the heat.

I noted a lot of dust build-up on the shower extractor fan. Literally two swipes with a brush would fix this, so why is it there?

Finally, the shower was especially bad. It seems if more than one person is having a shower in the building at the same time, there will be minimal water pressure. One morning was bad enough that I just took a (lukewarm) bath instead.

It's a shame, because the staff and food are really great. This hotel just needs a good refurbishment and it would be excellent. Right now I can recommend this location as a restaurant only.

Room tip: I stayed in the main building, the "stable" rooms may be better.
Date of stay: June 2019