“Super Sunday Lunch”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Simply Divine!
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Recently enjoyed Sunday Lunch with a few friends. Quite good choices on Menu, however would have liked to see better choice for vegetarians (why do people nearly always put lasagne on their menus for vegetarians - would have loved to have seen nut roast or bean crumble. Us veggies have to think about protein as well). Grumble over, everything else was excellent. We were shown to our table on time and the service was very good - maybe they have be listening to poor reviews! We will definately go back!

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Went to this restaurant with 5 other friends as a pre birthday meal. Food was average. Nothing unfortunatley stood out with the whole meal.
Main course selection was very limited with chicken being the prominant ingredient. Two had Steaks both asked to be cooked the same way and two different size and how they were cooked arrived.
Staff were polite but lacked the personal touch. Just a job to be done.

Reviewed November 21, 2012

After admiring the building and menu several times I recently tried the Old Cottage for the first time. We opted for the Sunday lunch as we know several people who have given it a good review.

The restaurant reception is small so if you arrive at the same time as others you may have a bit of wait, the Sunday lunch is severed in sittings so it’s all about timing it right. The building is really nice and could make an exceptional restaurant, unfortunately the owners are using plastic table clothes and cheap salt and pepper shakers and the look ends up being less quality restaurant and more canteen. The staff are a mixed bag and weren't particularly attentive.

Food wise I was disappointed that what was on offer for veggies was different to the website menu, I asked a member of staff why and was told "it’s always out of date as the chef keeps changing it". We went for soup starters followed by a fish and veggie main along with a plate of the normal Sunday dinner veg. The food was OK, not special but nothing wrong with it, desert menu had some interesting options.

For the price there are much better Sunday dinners on offer in Bridgend. Overall I wouldn't go back, but the Old Cottage was pretty busy so it must be keeping some people happy.

1  Thank Jon C
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Arrived on time for our reservation and taken to our table, menus brought and drinks ordered. Half an hour later still not ordered; a table that arrived after us were now ordering so we had to ask if they would take our order. Our starters arrived 25 minutes later. The starter and main courses were average. We then ordered our desserts; no cheesboard on the menu so we asked did they offer a cheeseboard to which they replied they would go and check, the waitress came back and said yes so a cheesboard was ordered together with our other desserts. When they arrived the member of the party started to nibble at the cheese waiting for biscuits to arrive. No biscuits came so we prompted the waitress who replied we dont do biscuits. We then informed a waiter that we didnt feel we should pay for the cheeseboard as it was not going to be eaten as there were no biscuits. I was so taken aback by the attitude of the waitress (not the waiter) that I felt I needed to speak to the manager. This I did, he was very apologetic and explained that the waitress was new, he agreed this service was poor and agreed to take the price of the cheese off our bill. He asked did we want a free round of drinks - I said I did not ask to speak to him to get a free round of drinks . However, he did approach our table with the offer. We waited to order our coffees and liquers but were never asked by a member of the staff if we wanted to finish our meals with coffee/liquers. It is such a shame that I have felt that I need to give this restaurant a poor rating - its a family run business which I prefer to support rather than a chain restaurant. They need to get the little things right to keep customers, basic training of staff would help. The restaurant was not full that night - was that because others like us received a poor quality service.The four of us rated the whole experience, three of us gave a 5/10 and one (not the one who ordered the cheese) gave 2/10 = 17/40 - I will leave it a couple of months and maybe try this restaurant again as everyone deserves a second chance.

2  Thank mascarasnake
Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

Have been here a few times and have always enjoyed the food. However, on our most recent visit, I was appalled by the unfriendly and unhygienic staff. Tables being wiped onto the floor, glasses being put out on tables with fingers inside, clean cutlery being handled by the eating end and only one smile between the lot of them. Lots of staff looking busy but not doing much, three times a member of staff looked at our empty plates and turned around and walked away! Could be an amazing place but really poor service! Won't be returning.