“Very enjoyable”

Skirrid Mountain Inn
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Five of us went to the Skirrid Inn for Sunday lunch, very reasonable prices total bill came to £55 and included sweet. Was well presented, the staff were excellent and the tables were well laid out. We read some of the reviews prior to our visit and most were not very good but thought we would give it a try anyway, glad we did as we really enjoyed the day ending at llanthony Priory and a cup of tea with Sue down by the campsite. Once again thank you to the Skirrid Inn and its staff. Martin

Reviewed February 17, 2013

This pub could and should be simply amazing, after all it's got the history and the unique ambiance. If you aren't eating it is probably worth a visit. If you are eating, I really would go elsewhere.

All four of our meals were cold. The bbq ribs were so so, but the potatoes they were supposed to come with were hidden amongst my husbands vegetables in his side dish. The sausages and mash were quite horrible and we had to leave them.

How hard is it to make decent food...too hard for the Skirrid evidently. I guess they don't have to bother as people are going to come and look at this historical pub anyway.

1  Thank mick0forest
Reviewed November 4, 2011

We were looking forward to visiting Wales oldest pub, which has a widespread reputation for being haunted. Upon arriving, all looked good, a lovely old public house in a beautiful setting. In site although full of period character, it is apparent that the inn is a little run down, and could be described as grubby. We ordered a main meal each from the boards around the room, describing the 'local' produce and fresh ingredients which on the surface sounded very appetising. My gammon arrived, and was average, however the Chips were inedible with a terrible after taste. My partner ordered the 'Herefordshire chicken' which judging by the time to be served was microwaved, along with the packaged sauce, all of which were completely inedible. I verified her horror by trying what must have been the worst meal I have ever tasted. Sadly she tried the chips and agreed with me that they were beyond inedible. We left swiftly, pausing to see if the incompetent bar staff were going to enquire why we were leaving so quickly, leaving full plates! All in all a terrible experience which left a bad taste in our mouths in more ways than one! Certainly pay this place a visit, just don't go inside, the ghosts won't scare you, the overpriced inedible slop they misdescribe as food certainly will,

3  Thank Ben H
Reviewed February 4, 2011

I found the staff very helpful and accomodating, a lovely log fire was being lit as we entered the premises and the landlord was more than happy to give us information of the inn's history. We even had the priviledge of being able to view the rooms even though we wasn't staying over night.
The food was traditional pub food very well cooked and large menu to choose from. A pub with an strange feel.
Look forward to the next visit!!