“What a way to treat adults”
Review of The Beacons

The Beacons
Ranked #34 of 44 Brecon B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 18, 2012

Why did we need a toilet with instructions "Only Poo, Pee and Paper" -absolutely childish. Woman owner very unwelcoming. Too many rules eg no food or drink allowed in rooms - corkage would be charged for wine bought outside the guest house. What century do they live in. Won't be going there again!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Jeremy J
BeaconsGH16, Manager at The Beacons, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2012

Many thanks for taking time to write a review. The reason we have signs in some of the bathrooms is due to having toilets with saniflo macerator systems, therefore we have to make people aware that you can not just put anything down them as they will then block or need replacing which is expensive to do so. In regard of food and corkage, you are welcome to bring food back and we have a dining room which you can eat this in and we also have a bar therefore are able to buy drinks from us.

Many thanks

Reviewed May 14, 2012

I have just returned from a lovely break at The Beacons. From the moment we arrived to the time we left I was touched by the fantastic friendly service that we enjoyed. Having never stayed at a traditional B and B before, I was impressed with the welcome that we recieved from Stephen, - warm and friendly, even though we had turned up after the reception had closed. We booked a small double with en suite facilities, and this was exactly what we got. But for £58.00 per night incl. breakfast, I thought it was excellent value for money. The room was clean - the double was a normal size and was comfortable as well. The breakfast in the morning was lovely, although some people have mentioned that 8 - 9am is quite tight with regards to not having a long lie in but, it was quite good in a way because it meant we got up had breakfast and didnt waste any of the day!! - The waitress was polite, food was fresh and the portions were perfect. - there was also a good selection of continental offerings as well that you could help yourself to.
There is a wide variety of marketing collateral from the local tourist boards and attractions in the hallway, which was useful as it gave us a better understanding of what was on offer should we tire of walking and climbing.
We stayed for two nights, and had a hire car - one of the big positives of this guest house is that they have a car park in the back of the hotel, which was reassuring as it meant we had somewhere safe and private to park our car.
As we left, we had a personal send off from the owners and they seemed genuinely interested in how are trip went.
In conculsion I would absolutely stay at The Beacons again and would definately reccomend it to anyone looking to stay in the area.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vf1983
Reviewed March 26, 2012

Sayed for 2 nights at this bed and breakfast, we were given a warm welcome by the owner. We were shown to our room on the first floor, our first impressions were good but i must say the room did smell a bit stale. It had a good sized bathroom and a good shower, although it would have been nice if there were a few toiletries in the bathroom as other B&Bs do. The bed was very comfortable and we had good nights sleep. Breakfast was excellent, choice of cereals and coffee, you made your own toast. My husband had a cooked breakfast which was well cooked and I had smoked salmon and scrambled eggs which was delicious, the next day I ordered poached eggs which were cooked to perfection. I would stay at this B&b again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
BeaconsGH16, Manager at The Beacons, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and we are glad you enjoyed your stay. Hope you will visit us again in the future, regards, Beacons Guest House

Reviewed December 10, 2011

This is a lovely place to stay. I felt very welcome there and it has a great homey atmosphere. Stephen and Melanie go out of their way to make sure you have everything you could ever need. I stayed for 10 days and would do it again. where's a private car park so you do have to be concerned about that and private entrances on some of the rooms. I really enjoyed my stay and would recommend it to anybody. I had friends that stayed in two of the better known hotels in town and they had nothing but issues.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank D S
Reviewed August 21, 2011

We did arrive late on a Sat. nite, around 21.30, after a long drive from Bedford, checked in to our 3rd floor family room in the attic, ceilings too low for me and room a bit smelly. We went out for a bite to eat and returned around 23.00hrs, front door closed (we were told earlier this may be the case) so used rear entrance with uneven ground and poor lighting. Poor nites sleep,that's just me tho, struggled in shower due to lack of height of ceiling. I loaded the car as my partner went to dining room to sit for breakfast, she was told off for sitting at the wrong table, plenty of toast, cereals, coffee and juices, but the cooked breakfasts could have been better. When finally checking out, the lady of the house tried to have a conversation with our daughter with little response, to which she responded, she would give her own kids a slap if they were that ignorant - not the comment to give to paying guests. Would we go back ? no chance, while she still runs it.

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank OSPREY31
Reviewed August 8, 2011

After a last minute booking through the Tourist Office we found ourselves at 'The Beacons'. Now it's not going to win any awards for style (we stayed in a bright fuscia coloured room that we think had been refurbished - style's a personal thing though) but it was clean, the bed was comfy, staff very friendly and the breakfast ok. The downsides - a plastic cubicle type shower and a bit of a grotty carpark.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 11, 2011

I read a few of the recent negative reviews and decided to give it a go. Stayed for 2 nights on business. Here are the highlights!

1. Room was very cold first night. Asked for an electric heater second night and got one (although I think the only one). As it happens after I stayed the radiator got warmer. However, overall the house is cold (including dining room) and I wouldn't recommend it in very cold weather.

2. Service was generally ok and the young man who dies the breakfasts etc is very friendly and polite.

3. Breakfast ok

4. Location for town - good - 5 mins walk.

5. Good private parking although dark if you arrive late

6. Decor was average to good and room was clean. Also plenty of tea/coffee etc in room.

7. TV with all main channels

8. Shower worked well

All in all ok apart from the cold!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business