“A little tired but not bad at all”
Review of Castle of Brecon

Castle of Brecon
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Brecon
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Second time at this hotel. The room was small and a little cramped but adequate however it had views over a set of roofs which wasn't very inspiring. Decent bathroom let down by a leaking radiator which didn't work anyway. Good array of toiletries and copious hot water. Bed reasonably comfortable and quite quiet. The restaurant was good with a varied menu. I had three courses at pretty near the top end of the price range and which came to just on £40. Excellent quality, well presented and very enjoyable; decent Chilean red at £4.50 for a large glass. The breakfast was good with no extra charge for smoked salmon. For a provincial hotel the Castle is good: it has character and warmth, the staff are very helpful and accommodating, which is more than can be said for some places. OK, it doesn't have double glazing and it's a bit chipped around the edges but the postives outweigh the negatives. I paid £55 for B&B (a government rate I'm sorry to say) wjhich, all things consdiered, was good value for money. I staye don business but if I were in Brecon with my wife I'd stay at the Castle, which is saying something.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank CaptainPicard_7
CastleRestaurant, Public Relations Manager at Castle of Brecon, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel and restaurant. I am especially happy that you found our staff helpful and accommodating. In regards to the size of your room, we have a great selection of rooms from standard rooms to our four poster rooms with views of the Brecon Beacons, to suit all budgets. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

On arrival, we were welcomed and shown to our 'Brecon view' room - nice big room, massive comfy bed, beautiful views. The lady at the reception was helpful with suggestions about where to eat in Brecon. Fantastic breakfast the following morning - a help yourself full English with all the added extras. We both have healthy appetites and there was plenty of food to fill us up and more.

With it being New Years Eve, we did have a slight issue with our room being directly above the function room - the glasses in our room, as well as the windows were vibrating because of the loud music below. On raising my issue with reception, we were quickly moved to another quieter room at the other end of the hotel and given a discount as part of the move (the new room was a standard double room and perfectly adequate).

Friendly staff, great location. A little expensive for the rooms but on the whole a nice evening away from home.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 27, 2013

I stayed here whilst on a business visit, the hotel staff were welcoming and very polite. My room had a great view for roofers ! I had a variety of pitches to gaze at but saw nothing of the lovely countryside. The room itself had everything I needed, the bed was very comfortable and breakfast was again wholesome.

If I were to return I guess I would pre-book a room with a view. Rather than my window full of roof tiles.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a view
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Having read some of the reviews on here plus pre-judgement that this would be a bit below the standard of the hotels I usually stay in on the business circuit simply because it's out in the sticks, I was thoroughly surprised and happy. My room was large with a beautiful view and most importantly warm as the weather had become the first really icy blast of the winter. Huge comfy bed and lots of bathroom products and freebies.My group had a dinner booked and we were given a private room and the food really was of an excellent standard for a hotel.restaurant. The staff were really attentive and helpful. All in all very impressed, only small negative is the walls are thin and there is some noise from the bar etc but didn't interfere with sleep. Maybe I was just lucky but would certainly stay there again..

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank PrudieDorset
Reviewed November 19, 2013

We stayed for one night on the way home from North Wales. On arrival we were greeted by a very friendly and helpful receptionist. We were given a large room with a beautiful view (we paid the extra for a Beacons view room and felt it was worth it).Comfortable bed and nice toiletries in the bathroom. We ate in the hotel and enjoyed an excellent meal with attentive service. We will be back!

Room Tip: Room 36 had a beautiful view of the beacons and the river
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LizReading
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Used to stay here about 10 years ago and it had a certain charm and was comfortable. Went back last year and several times since and it is even better! The hotel has obviously changed hands and had a makeover, rooms are very comfortable, staff helpful, Hotel is in walking distance of the town, and has great views of the river and mountains. The food was good before, but now is excellent, and the prices are still very reasonable! A really comfortable and welcoming hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We have just had a couple of awful days and should have been in Spain but loving the Brecon's so much and not needing a passport we headed over to Wales. We made a booking to another hotel but when we got there we saw a for sale sign and no one was in. So we drove into Brecon looking for this hotel.It as to have the most perfect location views and ease of walking to museums and the main town and pubs. We opted for their best room a 4 poster bed and great views. We had dinner in the main restaurant and all courses were lovely I opted for local salmon and lamb my husband had cockles and a main of duck. Prices were good and what to be expected for a 3 star hotel.Breakfast had some of the best choices I have ever seen. We have eaten in many 5 star or 1-2 Michelin restaurants and for pure taste these were as good it is lacking only in finesse but that made for a welcome change. It was presented home style. The place brought a smile back to our faces thank you.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a room with a view of the hills.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank dawncarol
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brecon
Peterstone Court Hotel
Nant Ddu Lodge Hotel & Spa
Llangoed Hall
Llangoed Hall
#1 of 1 in Llyswen

Been to Castle of Brecon? Share your experiences!