“Much more than a country hotel”
Review of Castle of Brecon

Castle of Brecon
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Brecon
Kenilworth
“Much more than a country hotel”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

This was a small but very professionally operated hotel right in the centre of Brecon, literally built into the old castle walls. We called ahead to say we would be late arrivals - no problem. On arrival we were warmly welcomed, nothing was too much trouble. Apart from the wobbly floors the refurbished rooms in the older part of the building were comfortable an spacious - no significant traffic noise in spite of single glazed windows (it is a listed building) facing the street. Splendid buffet breakfast with cooked items to order. Thoroughly recommended even if it is a couple of pounds more expensive than other hotels in the town.

Room Tip: Refurbished room in original building
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jim1943Kenilworth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2013

I have been staying at the hotel regularly for the past 4 months and I could not have been made to feel more welcome. All the staff without exception are friendly and helpful, the rooms are always clean and tidy and are what you would expect from a hotel that is part of a castle with great gardens and views over the town and surrounding beautiful countryside. I have stayed with most major chain hotels all over the country and can honestly say this hotel is by far the one where I have received the best service and enjoyable stay of them all.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

We attended a wedding here and stayed 1 night at the hotel in August, the wedding was lovely and food was good however the rooms were poor value for what you got. The rooms and beds were very small and seemed to be on an angle so things kept sliding off the tables. Also it was very noisy and creaky and you could hear other rooms through the walls. The rooms were clean but should maybe be priced more reasonably as £100 was too expensive.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carly77j
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Hi,

It was my Father's 70th birthday on the 23rd of August so we arranged a lunch for 12 of the family, the service was fine but unfortunately the food was poor. " of the party had shrimps and the smell stayed on our hands for a very long time (not fresh) the rest of the meal was below par and everyone left unhappy.

The real reason we had lunch here was that we had booked 2 rooms for the night as I was getting married the next day... There were only 2 things that I was concerned about when I booked:
1. does it come with breakfast (which it did, and to be very honest, it was lovely)
2. do they have SKY sports so I could watch the rugby in the morning (I'm a Kiwi lad and the mighty ABs were playing Aussie) I rung and emailed to confirm they could look after us in both of my prerequisites.

Happy days, they could look after both for me. On Thursday I rung to ask if others could come watch the rugby (again on SKY Sports) as they were staying either elsewhere or at the venue, the lady (who I spoke to the 1st time) said no problem.
On the Friday (while having the meal) I asked if others could join in for the breakfast (paying of course) to which I was told by the receptionist (same lady again) to which I was told as there was a wedding in the morning, so breakfast might not be the best call. That was fine, I totally understand that.

On the morning of my wedding, I and the lads had breakfast as the other members of my family and friends turned up. Once breakfast was done, I asked at the bar to put the TV on (same lady again - she does work a lot) only to be told it was cut off on Thursday.... Imagine how p1$$ed off and upset I was with no help offered we ended up watching it around a lap top, great wedding photos!

When I emailed and didn't get any real joy except for the same as on the day (sorry, cut off and the owner didn't tell us) I then emailed again asking for both the Manager and the Owner's email... The Manager came back (finally) and said "I thought it had been dealt with" when I explained the added stress this put on me, and how upset I was he offered me a 10% discount the "next time" I book there, at the most this is £10, which to me is absolutely disgusting to be honest.... A; Why would I want to go back and B; £10 after spending over £300 in 24 hours plus the drinks we had.

Stay away, Brecon is a lovely place, and there are so many better places than this... Once they have your money, they don't care about you at all, and for Customer Service - well if you find it, let me know!

Marc

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Kiwi_Marc
Fremington, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We held our wedding and reception here at the end of August and could not have asked for better service, food or venue. A same group of us travelled up from Norh Devon. We were all made to feel welcome.
The venue was stunning and the service excellent. All the staff were great.
The food was amazing, and even with an ex chef in the group happy (He normally sends food back, so if he thought it was good it must of been!).
Recommend the venue to anyone. Only one comment, is that perhaps they need to purchase new mattresses in the near future

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank katie g
Brighton, UK
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We stayed here for one night to break up the journey to the west coast in early September. After booking I'd called back with a couple of question and was a little worried to note that the reception phone was allowed to ring and ring - this made me wonder whether perhaps this would reflect the service on arrival but happily this proved not to be the case: we were made very welcome and it seemed nothing was too much trouble.

The rooms are comfortable and offer a decent amount of space; there's also a tray of hot drinks, biscuits and water as a welcome. Since it's an old building, the floors are at slightly odd angles and furniture therefore doesn't offer a level surface. Although a relatively minor point and one that initially caused amusement, I mention it because on one occasion the bottle of water slid onto the floor when I'd put it down and more worrying the kettle slid forward whilst boiling and was stopped from tipping only by its lead. This was soon addressed wedging things underneath but it might have been worth a warning by reception.

I was also surprised to see that there had been a water leak at some point which left a sizable brown stain across the ceiling. I thought this might have been addressed. That said, other works were underway - we had dinner in the lovely dining area and this was closed off the following morning for painting - so this may have been on the list.

The food was excellent - the dinner menu was very well thought through and came with a decent wine list without being over the top for price. And the full welsh breakfast in particular was very welcome as we had a long journey ahead.

Overall I'd be happy to return here, the only criticism really was that certain parts were tired and needing attention. But since this was being addressed whilst we were there it was perhaps just bad timing!

I'd recommend a wander round the garden whilst you're there, it's great to see how the hotel has been incorporated into the ruined castle wall - it's not obvious unless you're right in front of it/

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank frenziedmonkey
Perth, Australia
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,598 helpful votes
Reviewed September 22, 2013

The Castle of Brecon hotel is in a fantastic location next to the castle with great views over the river and mountains.
The staff are very friendly and helpful and the hotel has very cosy old word atmosphere and charm especially in the down stairs sitting areas, bar, and the restaurant.
There is free wifi which worked well throughout the hotel.
Our superior room was clean, spacious, with a comfortable bed and lovely views. the decor was also in keeping ithe cosy hotel atmosphere.
The bathroom was also clean, spacious with plenty of toitetries and a hair dryer.
The meals were of very high standard. Our dinner in the hotel restaurant was delicious with excellent service.
Breakfast was also of very high standard with a choice of fruit, cereal, juice, tea and coffee , with a good varied choice of full cooked breakfasts made to order. I had the scrambled eggs and salmon which was amazing.
I would highly recommend The Castle of Brecon Hotel when staying in the Brecon Beacons it was a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the mountains.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank lindakthomas
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brecon
Peterstone Court Hotel
#1 of 1 in Llyswen
Ty Helyg Guest House
Ty Helyg Guest House
#2 of 43 in Brecon

Been to Castle of Brecon? Share your experiences!