“A little piece of Nepal in the heart of Wales”
Review of Gurkha Corner

Gurkha Corner
Ranked #10 of 74 Restaurants in Brecon
Cuisines: Nepali
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed July 12, 2014

I have been to this part of the world on many occasions but always seemed to miss out on a visit, and had been wanting to try this place since all the good things I heard!

I must say it did not disappoint, very traditional and full of flavour. They even have some Kathmandu beer (Albeit brewed in UK) to help cool the tongue with all those great spices going on.

Very enjoyable meal and will definitely return on my next visit.

Tip: Book ahead. It is a very small place and you could struggle to find a table if you don't.

Reviewed July 7, 2014

Stumbled upon this restaurant and was very pleased we did. Yes they asked "did we have a booking", we hadn't and we were lucky to get the last but one table. None of us had eaten Nepalese food before and we all loved it. The staff are very helpful and extremely polite at all times.
The food was beautiful, we had starters, then mains. We all had different mains and all took the opportunity to taste the others choices and all agreed it was some of the tastiest food we had tasted. The bill for the four of us came to £93, that included poppadum's', starters, mains and two drinks each, so quite reasonable. If you want tasty food, something different in a very relaxed environment you can't go far wrong with this place. I know I will definitely be going back.

Reviewed July 4, 2014

Went here after a full day of exercise gagging for a good curry - and didn't get one. We were early and first people in. Always seems strange when asked if you have booked and the place is empty - but it quickly filled up. The service was good and food arrived quickly although it was only just warm and lacking in spice or chilli. An ok meal but not one we will be repeating. What I couldn't work out is why so many others that looked like locals had filled the place up. Maybe they are lacking any alternative.

Reviewed July 1, 2014

Ate with a friend as he'd eaten in a Gurkha restaurant elsewhere I highly recommended the cuisine. What a disappointment!

Where on earth the good reviews come from on this place is beyond me! The place is small and feels like a basement, a basement with a takeaway in it.

Looking past that I assumed the food would be authentic (which perhaps it was) with lots of choice...how wrong. Wine list had only 2 variants of white and the food menu I'd say had about 10-12 meals. That was it.

And when my food came it was very average, very average indeed. Packet curry springs to mind.

Maybe I expected too much from a restaurant in Brecon as it's not a big place, but I was certainly left completely underwhelmed.

Will not be eating here again.

1  Thank clickclick23
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Never tried before but played safe and went for the mild dishes. Very tasty but we could of been more adventurous!!! maybe next time.