“Excellent food and service”
Review of The Royal Oak

The Royal Oak
Ranked #12 of 74 Restaurants in Brecon
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Canal side pub located in Pencelli village, located in the heart of the Brecon Beacons, approximately 2 miles from Brecon town. Serving traditional home cooked food, with the option of Roast Dinner on Sundays. Family and dog friendly!!
Reviewed August 9, 2012

My wife and I have visited this pub a few times over the years, whenever we're in the Brecon area, and we have never been disappointed.

We visited again 2 weeks ago, and found that they had a special offer giving one free starter for every main course - what a fantastic deal!

As usual, the food was excellent pub fare, and the service was friendly and efficient.

Lastly, I want to make comment about one of their dishes, but unfortunately TripAdvisor does not allow me to use it's actual name because it thinks it is a profanity. Therefore, I have to type it as fag.gots. I would just like to say that I had the fag.gots on this occassion, and they were absolutely outstanding. To the person a few reviews down who also couldn't type the proper name, calling them maggots but beginning with an 'F' - he seemed surprised that the dish was 2 large meatballs served in gravy. Well, the dictionary definition of fag.got is 'a ball or roll of chopped pork and liver mixed with breadcrumbs and herbs, and eaten fried or baked', so that's what I was expecting, and that's what I got. The flavour of the fag.gots themselves was amazing and the thick gravy that accompanied them just added to the whole dish. Along with a bowl of vegetables and some chips, I personally couldn't fault it, and would strongly recommend it.

2  Thank kcdc230

Reviewed July 3, 2012

If you're after a great little pub with nice ale's and good quality food, not just your standard pub grub, then this is the place for you. I've never had a bad experience there. Beautiful garden, which is nice to relax in on a sunny afternoon. I advise to call to book or to double check on opening times, because it's a long walk to the next pub.
Staff are friendly and the food is superb! An all in all a great pub!

2  Thank Wic_92
Reviewed May 4, 2012 via mobile

Good pub grub and cooked to order when you order. Pleasant staff and food but little atmosphere. Had just reopened and I am sure it will be good when the weather improves and holidaymakers from the canal full it up.

2  Thank Ahoydickie
Reviewed February 15, 2012

Lovely atmosphere and delicious food - a super warm fire and excellent tables

2  Thank Hilary23
Reviewed December 23, 2011

I have been to the Royal Oak on many times and have always found the food to be really well prepared and tasty. Steaks are a highlight!

On the hospitality side Tim and Liz are great hosts and the bar areas are cozy and warm, all you could want from a traditional British pub!

Summertime in the beer garden is also something to look forward to, in fact i can't wait for some sunshine to enjoy it again. Roll on the summer.

4  Thank Kendo29