“not very well staffed”

Ranked #35 of 43 Brecon B&B and Inns
england
“not very well staffed”
Reviewed May 25, 2010

Stayed at this hotel for a single night while visiting wales. overall the hotel was ok nothing special.
on arrival it was difficult to park up. the only parkin available required someone to wake up at 8am to pay the money on the parking meter. on arrival to the hotel, walked into the bar area, and was told to go to the hotel recepton in another room. this was not initially staffed but employee did turn up relatively quickley. the staff were friendly and very helpful.
The room was okay very tidy with TV and on suite bathroom. there were only a few channels available. The room had a few appliances that didn't work (lights + kettle in one of the rooms). it was difficult to get hold of staff at the hotel. often had to spend 25mins on the phone before anyone answered.
the location was close to all the bars in the town centre and about a 5min travel to the national park. the bar at the hotel was lively at night and was good for a drink. the bar also did food although i never tried it

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Swansea
Reviewed April 19, 2010

A beautiful Georgian building with some original features a bit dated but room was clean & comfortable. Breakfast was delicious, freshly cooked and arrived at our table piping hot.
Staff very friendly and helpful - only negative is the lack of guest parking, but long stay pay & display only a five minute walk away.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed December 28, 2009

From previous comments it's clear people take many things for granted. You think you won't get a bug in the most posch 5 star hotel in London ? If you do you can sue them - that's why you pay 700 a night !! Wellington Hotel is great value for money. If you want 5 star hotels and 5 star rooms, be prepared to pay 5 star rates. Why didn't you go to a 5 star B & B ? I'm a foreigner vsisting UK and Wales and I can tell you - be happy for what you get at this price !! Luckily for Wellington Hotel we aren't all snobs and can only afford quality hotels like yours (because at 40 a night, this is quality for me !!). Yeah sure, it isn't 5 star - but for my pocket ? It is 6 star !!

Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed December 11, 2009

Firstly, just from looking at the other reviews it seems to me that all the +ve reviews happen in peak season and all the -ve ones in the off season, maybe the Wellington has reduced house staff then??? Anyway, I'm about to buck that trend here.
In any case, we stayed 1 night in Oct 2009 and couldn't of had a much better experience. On check in we were given the keys to 3 rooms and asked to look at all before making our choice. The room overlooked the main street but didn't get too loud for us. The bathroom and bedroom were all clean though maybe the carpet is a little tatty and some unevenness in the flooring but hey, it was 40punds!!! Easily the best value of our 6 weeks in the UK, Ireland and France. We had an excellent dinner, basic food but very well cooked with quality ingredients. The staff were very very friendly, I had a 10min chat with the guys serving at the bar re Welsh and Aussie beers etc I asked for a recommendation and they offered my the chance to try a small portion of the 3 local beers they had before selecting which pint i wanted. Maybe because it was a quiet night they were able to do this but so what? they made the night thoroughly enjoyable and I ended up buying 2 pints because I liked 2 of the 3 I tried.
On return to the room I slept fine on the bed.
The only issue with this Hotel is parking. There is no Hotel guest parking and like another review said you have to run the risk of a parking fine unless you want to keep moving your car. Its prob almost worth the hotel buying 1 space per room just up the road near the church????
All in all we loved our stay in the Wellington, the staff and the food were first rate and the room was the best value of anywhere we stayed. When we return to explore the Brecon Beacons more we will def return to the Wellington.
Just as an aside, we did have 1 -ve experience, about 3 days later I realized that we had most likely left an item in the room ($250 sunglasses), but upon emailing them and asking about it we never ever got a reply. A little disappointing but doesn't detract from our stay.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed October 10, 2009

I did not have high expectations at £40 per night. We arrived at the Wellington Hotel for a two night stay (to attend a friend's wedding in the area). It's an old building, so I will forgive a few issues.
The first problem was lack of parking. Street parking was available for 30 minutes, then the car had to be moved to various public car parks nowhere particularly close or cheap. Every morning we had to be up to move the car by 8 so we didn't get a parking ticket.
The restaurant/bar area was busy and maintained relatively well. We had a room on the second floor. The door looked as if it had been kicked in at some point, and could have easily been opened if anyone wanted to. The bottom of the door was sawn off in a jagged way, leaving a big gap. The room was spacious, with views over the street area. The carpets were very old and dirty. The bathroom was dirty and had exposed holes around the sink/bathtub area (looked as if the fiberglass tub had been kicked in). A double and a single bed were in the room. The sheets were very old. The mattresses were quite old and worn. Night one - killed a spider on the pillow before attempting to sleep for the night. 3 am wake up call by the Welsh Rugby team existing a local bar singing for 30 minutes or so. Attempted to get back to sleep, however felt as if our skin was itching, thinking it was another spider. My wife awoke with a few bites around her neck, however we assumed it was from a walk earlier in the day. We attended an all day wedding, to return to night number 2 - Got into bed and noticed spots on the sheet where bugs had been killed. Attempted to sleep, however itching was getting worse. We peeled back the duvet in the morning to find bed bugs and another unidentified bug. My wife is covered in bites and looks as if she has hives. We packed up as quickly as we could and checked out. I raised our concerns to a young member of staff at reception, who said he would tell housekeeping. I am assuming it is the same housekeeping team that didn't vacuum or provide new towels, soap, or toilet paper. I have had more pleasant stays at youth hostels in my younger days. The Wellington is a dire place - do not stay there for any reason.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nolocal

Travelers are raving about these Brecon hotels

Gwendraeth Valley
Reviewed July 14, 2009

Great central location. Would cost double this price in most town centres.
Room basic, but clean and comfortable.
Service good, except no daily change of towels.
Staff and Management not only friendly, but good fun.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Blews
Bristol, England
Reviewed June 5, 2009

I couldn't disagree more with the previous review. We arrived at the last minute on a Sunday night, past 9PM without a reservation. The staff went out of there way to help us, and charged a very reasonable price for the room. I can only assume that the previous comments where written about the wrong hotel, because the room we stayed in was clean, quiet and comfortable. Both my wife and I want to return, when we are in the Brecon area. Thanks alot guys!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple