“Quality food but backwards and overpriced.”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Bar & Bistro at the Gredington Arms
Cuisines: Bar
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Quality food but backwards and overpriced.”
Reviewed September 7, 2011

We visited June on a Tuesday, the up stairs bar was a pleasant place to be. The fellow on the bar was pleasant and chatted to us about the work on the road so we decided to stay.
Apart from us there was a local sat at the bar so the place was very quite, I can see why a pint of lager cost an eye watering £3.80. The food we ordered came relatively fast but there was so many different bowls and plates the waitress had to return to the kitchen three times to bring us everything. If I didn't want something I wouldn't have ordered it I don't expect to have to plate it myself, one plate with everything on will do. It makes you feel like you have stepped back in time to the 1980-70s.
The food was good quality and I thoroughly enjoyed it, its a shame they didn't do any other type of pie I think a different one each week would keep people coming back.

I wouldn't have thought this pub will be there much longer it surly can't be making a reasonable profit which is a shame as with some small changes it could vastly improve in my opinion.

• Visited June 2011

wrexham
“APPAULING”
Reviewed June 9, 2011

Arrived at 5.30 pm ordered drinks from the Hide Out bar. The kitchen didn't open until 6, so we read the menu and ordered two curry's with as the menu stated rice. chutney and poppadoms, plus the extra portion of chips.
The food finally arrived - two small curry's, no rice and no poppadums. I went to the bar and asked where everything else was - she said it was on its way, but by the time she did return the curry was cold. The rice was in two chutney pots and the poppadums were stale. I then went back with my meal in my hand and told her I was not very happy. No apologies or explanation. We paid for our drinks and left.
Do not waste your money going here it is way overpriced and the food and service is a disgrace.

• Visited May 2011
“Obviously struggling. I can see why!”
Reviewed May 13, 2011

Our party of four arrived at 7pm on a Friday night. We had been turned away from another local restaurant as it was fully booked. The Gredington only had two people in the place when we arrived. We ordered our main courses after our drinks arrived. During the next hour the waitress passed our table five times on the way to the kitchen. Each time coming out with nothing. I eventually asked her if she could check on our food. She came out looking a bit flustered and said it would be about ten minutes. They were very busy in the other bar so there was a delay. I knew this wasn't true because I had walked around the place and there was only one other couple nursing a beer at the bar. After asking five times she eventually admitted that the kitchen hadn't even started cooking our meal. We paid for our drinks and left. The manager was skulking in the kitchen and didn't even come out to apologise. I wasn't angry when I left. I actually found it rather sad.

1 Thank Gresfordguy
Bishops Cleeve
“Excellent all round We shall return”
Reviewed May 4, 2011

Visited "The Gred " as it is known locally on a recent trip Wrexham. I was not disappointed
in any way or form. Quietly situated in the village of Llan-y-Pwll about 3 miles from the town centre on the A 534 Wrexham /Nantwich Rd. We were greeted on arrival and shown a seat for drinks whilst reading the very varied menu and in addition the specials board mainly fish related .. All food is cooked when ordered and is sourced locally from local suppliers and farms. The Chef (Proprietor) makes all his own sauces and gravy from scratch and not a granule of powder anywhere.The ambience was excellent. You can eat either in the garden or " Hyde Out Bar" or in the main part of the building.The variety of food available was very good. Prices were for starters £4.50+ Maincourses £8.50+ and puds £4.00 +.. All good portions and childrens menu and portions available. An excellent evening was had by all.

• Visited April 2011
Wrexham
“Won't be going back”
Reviewed April 14, 2011

Plenty better places to eat in Wrexham. Food arrived 45 minutes late with stale crisps and part of our order missing. Flat lemonade in shandy and very odd payment arrangements. Food not worth the prices charged.