“beautiful location, friendly staff”
Review of YHA Snowdon Ranger

YHA Snowdon Ranger
Reviewed August 12, 2012

The location of this hostel is perfect for exploring this beautiful area. The accommodation and facilities are typical of most youth hostels. The breakfast was adequate and the self catering facilities were good. There was lots of information regarding weather forecasts, nearby walks and attractions. Opposite the hostel is a wonderful, peaceful lake which is great for swimming. The only downside to this hostel, which is typical of most, is the constant slamming of bedroom doors. I presume this is for fire regulations, but it is very annoying hearing this til late at night and early in the morning.

Room Tip: Request a room on top floor or not next door to shower and toilet doors which slam very loudly
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed May 9, 2012

Staff are very friendly and clearly gave all the house info you need.
Facilities include comfy break-out room as well as well-equipped kitchen, games room, large dry room as well as a bar well-stocked with cider & wine.

Close driving distance to a collection of pubs as well as stop on the steam railway. Not to mention the clear-water loch across the road. Located on main road north with onsite parking.

Decor getting a bit rustic but everything is clean & well maintained. No complaints...

Room Tip: Get a room facing loch for best views of setting sun
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank NessieTraveller
Reviewed April 17, 2012

I was a little wary of staying in a Youth Hostel with my wife and 3 kids (age 8-12) but was attracted by the location and the price. You can't fault the place itself - for £80/night we were in a fairly comfortable family room with 3 sets of bunkbeds - the kids thought this was great, and especially enjoyed playing table football and pool in the games room. It was a plus that they served 2 meals/day; breakfast for £23 filled us up and was of good quality. We ate dinner there twice (it is a several miles to any other establishment) for about £50 for five, and again it was ok.
My only complaint was a minor one, but as a father with daughters it mattered; After climbing Snowdon and returning just 15 minutes before we were due to eat supper - you have to book and pay in advance - I asked if we could eat 30 minutes later, to give my wife and kids a chance to freshen up from a full day on the mountain. This seemed to slightly annoy the manager. Then when they served my 8-year old daughter the child's portion of spag bol; she didn't much like it but was very hungry (she's not a fussy kid). I tasted it and it was pretty meagre, so I very politely asked the manager if they might be able to just put a little grated cheese on top (to give it some flavour). He stated "they didn't have any grated cheese", and that was clearly that, as far as he was concerned.
Now had I been eating in a decent pub or cafe for the exact same price, I would have expected him to make an effort. Instead I found myself a bit angry, but not wanting to cause a fuss. But there was clearly cheese on the menu in a variety of dishes, and they had a fully equipped kitchen. Find the cheddar, find a grater, and get on with it man.
We were there for 2 nights and them went to the Llanberis hostel for 2 nights, which is definitely a step up in every regard. Lovely people running the place and much fresher, brighter and with more open space around the property for the kids.
The main attraction of this place is you are within 100 yards of the start of the Ranger Path to the summit of Snowdon. There is a car park there - Next time I might stay elsewhere and just drive up.

Room Tip: Consider staying at the Llanberis Hostel instead if you don't need to be right by the start of a...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 19, 2012

Arrived just before reception closed. Reception staff friendly. Ensuite room room basic but comfortable for what it was. Overnight was quiet. Cooked breakfast poor and not served until 8am whereas when booking we were told breakfast was served at 0730. Info in rooms says breakfast served at 07:45!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank M2Man
Reviewed November 25, 2011

I stayed here in August with a group of friends and found it to be an enjoyable experience. It was a good base for the ranger walk, it was clean and basic and the breakfast was very good. Like most hotels/hostels in the Snowdonia area, you will need to get here by car. The buses only seem to run once every hour, less frequently on Sundays. The bathrooms were OK.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 25, 2011

Unfortunately the service really let this place down. The location is brillinant, but the manager was so extremely unfriendly and unhelpful throughout. Sharp practice when it came to payment and an insistence that everyone left the building by the 10am check out - not even allowed to wait inside the building for our transport or to use the toilet before leaving - directed to a portaloo in a nearby car park. Our group of 18 considerate hikers all very disappointed by the reception we received. Rooms ok, but bedding smelled damp and temperatures very fluctuating. Only thing going for it is location, hot water and other staff except the manager!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Vicky647
Reviewed August 29, 2011

On the map you could see it was in the middle of nowhere in Snowdonia National Park. So we did our grosserie for 2 days on our way. But the Hostel offers food if needed.There is a massive kitchen with everything you'll need to cook.

We paid for a breakfast on the 1st morning which was charged a bit less than 5 pounds. eventhough it is very cheap, I think that it should be included.

the positive thing about the location is that the hostel is just next to the start of a path for a hike to Summit. So after the Hike you don't have a journey back to your bedroom. You can have a nice shower straigh away which is goooood !

My first impression of the bedroom wasn't very good as it smelt like feet and it was cold. No ensuite bathroom. 4 showers for the whole hostel, but I didn't have to queue. on the morning it smells like saussage on the corridors as they are cooking the breakfast. Not pleasant either.

I was expecting to have a good night of sleep after a long Hike...but the walls are very thin and you can litteraly hear the conversation of the people next door. We had a banch of girls giggling until late at night. I would advice ear pluggs !

and last thing : there is no entertainment... We were bored. Went out for a walk around the lake but there is no path and no pavment wich make it dangerous.... back at the hostel. The game room kept us busy for 30 min. There is a small bar , having a drink helped spending an other hour . But at 10 oclock we were in bed.But it's Perfect if you want an early start the day after.

Basicaly, I would say that it's good for one or two night but I was happy to leave after the 2nd night!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends

Been to YHA Snowdon Ranger? Share your experiences!